New Jersey Governor election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mathman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. mathman Valued Senior Member

All the ads I have seen about the New Jersey Governor election are about Phil Murphy (Democratic candidate). The Republican ads attack him for wanting to raise taxes. The Democratic ads describes what he feels needs fixing (schools, infrastructure, etc.). The Republican candidate is almost completely out of sight. The Republican ads don't mention her at all, while the Democratic ads barely mention her as Gov. Christie's Lt. Gov., while denouncing Christie's failures. The Republicans seem to be trying to make it a referendum on Murphy, rather than an election.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The reason for this is simple - Republicans know their voters will, most often, vote Republican regardless who is running. Democrats, on the other hand, tend to abstain from voting if they do not have a desirable candidate. Thus, attacking the Democratic candidate has higher returns than promoting the Republican one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mathman Valued Senior Member

What is the source for this information?

8. mathman Valued Senior Member

New development (maybe the Republicans noticed this post): Last night I saw an attack on Murphy for possibly raising taxes included with a note that Guardano (Rep. candidate) would reduce property taxes. My impression is that Murphy would raise income tax on rich people, not property tax.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member