new language???

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Borg255, Apr 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borg255 Registered Member

Hi I was trying to learn computer programming but everything i tried was not going too well. So i thought maybe we could make another language that was very easy to understand & dont use stupid sounding terms and stuff. And I thought of you lot

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you all seem very smart so i wondered if any of you new how to make your own programming language because i havent got a clue!... but what i have done is write a program in a language that i think is easy to understand but because my other things havent gone too well i dont know if this would work. I know at the moment it is all nothing but if someone made a compiler or somthing that understood it, it could be a very good language...

So if anyone could help i would be very greatfull

please...???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Hi Borg!

What programming language was it that you were trying to learn.

If you are having trouble and havn't already bought a book to help you I would recommend it. A beginners guide is what you would need. When you first start programming there is a lot of jargon and all sort of terms involved, and it can get very confusing so buying a good book will really help.

The languages that I started on and still am on, is Pascal and Delphi. These languages are good beginner languages. I think Visual basic is also, but I have not had any experience using this. And to my knowledge I think it was written by Bill Gates himself, so I wonder if it crashes a lot?

Anyway, Pascal and Delphi were the languages taught at my school, many other schools teach c++. That is like Delphi, but a lot more involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Borg255 Registered Member

I was trying to learn:
    C++,C,VB,EUPHORIA,DARK BASIC
    All at different times the latest was euphoria but each time i have tried to learn them i have not been able to because the things i can get are allways sharwear versions, i can never get the full version

so i cant do/learn what i should whith the languages so i thuoght make another that isnt a sharwear version.. did you downlaod the txt file of the source code that i thought up? well would it work??? how long would it take to code a compiler for it? because i think i could learn that one!

Well worth a try

what did you think of it? deadwood. anyone else red it???? any comments at all

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I just returned from a grueling programming languages exam, so perhaps I can be of some assistance

hehe...

I don't mean to discourage your investigation into this area, because it is really interesting. Ultimately, though, you must realize that while programs are nothing more than data, compilers are nothing more than programs. In simpler words, compilers must be written in some language. This language could be anything, whether it be C, hardware opcodes, or etched into stone tablets. It's necessarily true that to successfully design a language (especially a high level one), you need to have a very good understanding of another.

If you are just looking to get into programming, I would suggest taking the time to learn one language comprehensively. You'll find that languages are really all very similar, and once you learn one the rest are quite easy to pick up (very much like natural languages).

My suggestions for learning are:

Java: It has syntax which is very close to the C/ C++ world (you'll find that most code today is written in C-based languages). It's sufficiently modern that you don't have the arcane terminology of older languages. There are also a huge number of tutorials and guides for Java on the net. Also, it's free.

I suppose you could try Visual Basic, but I'm not very familiar with it. I've always been frustrated by these 'simple' languages, since it's not obvious how and why they do what they do. Also, you'd be giving into the Microsoft monopoly, so you might as well kill yourself.

erg..I'm exhausted from the exam, so I'll have to stop here. If you have some other questions, let me know and I'll try to help. After all, it's always good to steer people to computer science before they distracted by other things in life like "natural science" or "art" which are empty and unsatisfying.

8. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Hey Dave!

Where do you get Java for free from?

Is it the actual program or a demo with which you have to reformat your harddrive every thirty days to have it keep working?

If you have time to post a reply I would love to know.

9. Lynx Registered Senior Member

lasdkjfa;sdljfsd

hey Borg! it's called Microsoft Visual Basics!

10. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

err.. Java has always been free from <a href="http://java.sun.com">java.sun.com</A>.

There's a huge number of free/open source packages for Java, including some excellent development environments (eg. <A HREF="http://www.netbeans.org">netbeans.org</A>)

11. Turbine Registered Senior Member

New Lingo

There is an alternative language if the real stuff scares you. I do not endorse it, nor do I know anything about it. BUT ....I do know of it. I think you can get a translate to C for it also. Porfiry already wrote the key advice. Become proficient in one language, by then you'll be seeing the similarities of others. (Kinda like the same music, written for different instruments)
    Check out : http://www.rapideuphoria.com/

Open mouse-Insert Foot.
    Borg, Sorry, I didn't notice that you knew, untill after I posted.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2001
  12. Borg255 Registered Member

lol turbine

I know of euphoria. My point was that all languages are so... strange and i was not doing so well learning any of them so i thought if i could get someone to make a compiler for the made up language i posted in the txt file I would finally be able to Program a language

even if it was just made so stupid me could program it! lol well it was a thought... but i also thought if it was made then it would be an easy language to learn wouldnt it? so... a lot of people could program easier....

thats my point

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Hmm... I don't recall the name of the program, but a family member who works for Techtronix used a software pakage which was more graphic-based than text based...drag-n-drop components for your program. No <i>keywords</i> to understand and memorize.

My first exposure to C was rather pleasant (DOS), but then I dove into the Windows(tm) API. Sheesh! Trying to find the right function call within all that is available is most of the work.

It's been awhile... I feel that bug again...

14. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

The Windows API is horrid. Absolutely horrid. Any programmer with any talent will refuse to go near it as long as they still have some dignity. Java is a huge step forward in terms of elegance, but it still isn't very nice.

By far the most pleasant API I've ever worked with is <A HREF="http://developer.apple.com/cocoa/">Apple</A>'s <A HREF="http://www.cocoadevcentral.com/">Cocoa</A> API, which is a mature set of objects derived off of the NextStep/OpenStep APIs. The only "problem" with Cocoa is that it uses Objective-C as a language. There's a bit of a learning curve, but ultimately Objective-C has a very nice readable syntax (it's also a superset of ANSI C), and marries the clean object model of Java with the compiled performance of C. It's also loosely typed and uses a message-based method invocation model that brings out the strengths of object-oriented programming that are lost in Java.

Cocoa also comes with a wickedly cool set of developer tools, including InterfaceBuilder which is a generation beyond traditional GUI design tools in that it does more than simple layout of widgets. It is actually geared towards interaction design, so you can wire up connections between GUI and controller objects merely by dragging the mouse. Given that most of Cocoa's objects are quite powerful (the text system alone has support for variable size Unicode fonts, spell checking, find/replace, cut/paste, image embedding and advanced font features like automatic ligatures -- all for free), you can create a useful application without writing any code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.