new look fo sciforums

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by cato, Oct 10, 2006.

?

how do you like the new look?

1. like it

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. don't like it

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. indifferent

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. WTF is up with that damn alien?

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Which is exactly what I said before.

You CAN use the link provided to steal the post number for use with the post tag, but you can also do the same with any other number of methods (quote, report, hovering the mouse over either of these and remembering the number shown in the status bar, etc...)

But, anyway, like I said. It's no big deal. It's not that annoying. Just kinda useless. Hell, it might become more annoying if people start using it to link to posts... because I'd rather link to the whole thread rather than just the post taken out of context and hanging in limbo....

Another way it would prove annoying is for people like Tor to use it to count how many posts are in her threads so she can up her ego a little more. Because, like, her inbox is always like full and stuff and she gets like so many like responses to her like threads and stuff. She's like really cool and everything. And she knows it.

Anyway. It's a very minor thing.

I'd actually like to keep it but change the link to a post IN THREAD rather than out of thread.

I think that it'd be pretty easy to do with a minor template change.

Actually, I've been going over the vBulletin manual over the past few days (in case I need to lead my people to the promised land... muaha!) and I think that most, if not all, the changes requested would be trifling matters. All they require is template changes. Hell, if I had MySQL I could set up vBulletin on my own machine and play around with it and probably come up with a solution myself and offer the template for approval and use.

But. MySQL is way expensive and I haven't found a pirate version. If I start my own forum, then I could do the same thing without the expense, but.. of course... it would be too late by that time.

Edit: Although. The more I think about it. The more I think I might start up my own forum/web site even if Sciforums does stay good.
    It'll be cheaper to run if I start small rather than dragging a lot of disgruntled Sci posters with me.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

i noticed when you are checking out a forum and veiwing the threads if you click on the underlined number it tells you who replied to the thread and how many times, neat.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

well, there has been a lot of posting here in one day.

I would like to thank zox for taking quick action to remedy some of the problems.

anyway, I think the font size should be bumped up one. if its 12, make it 13-14.

also, could you put the google adds on the right? I sometimes view this site on a small monitor, and the adds push the posts past the edge of the screen, so I have to scroll to the right just to read them.

edit: the alien has to go, but I don't really mind the earth there, things burn up in our atmosphere all the time, I don't see why it is a problem.

thanks much

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I agree with cato on the font size.

8. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

You'd prefer to pirate a commercial version of MySQL rather than use the freely available GPL'd open source version :bugeye:
    And what makes you think sciforum members are going to follow you, disgruntled or otherwise?

The alien logo must stay if only to piss off those that don't like it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

it GOES !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh?
    I looked around a tiny bit but didn't find anything.
    Link please?

Because I'm like so cool and stuff.

Heh.
    Nah.
    It's just that the idea has been bandied about ever since the knowledge that there was a buyout. If things went sour, I offered to buy some space and start up something.
    I don't know how many might or might not follow.
    Some would. Some wouldn't.
    Don't go thinking I"m on an ego trip or anything.

Anyway.
    Roman already nominated me to be the rebel leader.
    So up yours!

11. Roman Banned Banned

Red One, this is Echo Bravo, do you read me Red One.

You're not flakey. You'd actually go out and start a new forum. Some of us would follow, if sciforums went down like Rupaul at a truck stop. The important ones would, anyway.

12. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Yeah my sentiments exactly.

(sorry, I didn't see this before starting a similar thead)

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yup. Thanks, Avatar. I already found it. I didn't look at the right link before because it mentioned 'bleeding edge' and I thought for learning, I might want to stay away from bleeding edge.

So. Now I've got it all downloaded.
    And am looking at some manuals and howtos and whatnot.

Shouldn't be that hard, I imagine.
    Especially seeing as how I"m not actually going to need to be adminstering a huge database. Just a small thing to piddle around with while I work out the kinks.
    I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You don't need to set it up yourself actually,
    just look for a webhost that offers mysql.

For example I host my website (forum + music reviews, etc) at www.fuitadnet.com
    Maybe it's not the best choice, but they offer a dead easy c-Panel interface with which you can have a great deal of control with point-click.
    And there are other good hosts, like hostgator.com or dreamhost.com

16. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
    Edit: w00ps, I should learn to read to the end of the thread before replying...
    And now, your highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden rebel base...

Your powers are weak, old man.

Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Roman-Kenobi, it will soon see the end of the Rebellion.