New Ubuntu pains

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So I downloaded the latest KK version and made a live CD. I put it in the newer laptop (the older one is dual booted with the previous Ubuntu JJ) and it actually runs! Even the wireless, although that is accidentally. I couldn't find where it should show the aviable networks, but as I was clicking, it suddenly came up. Unfortunatelly I forgot how I got there.

Anyhow, the machine works and it is really fast, as downloading goes. I am happy. So I install it.

2 problems:

1. I can't make the wireless work. It was accidental how the neighbour networks showed up and now I can't figure it out how to access that list.

2. I need the Flash Player to watch any kind of movie, youtube. I was able to download it when I was using the Live CD, but not anymore (because it would make too much sense). I get the error message of "Dependency is not satisfiable: libnspr4-dev". WTF? It was good under the live CD but not anymore???

I challenge any Linux fanboys to give a Live CD to an average person and see if he or she can install it and make it work. I bet they can not....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

1: ???
    2: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/yelp/ question/80569

I can't give you much help, I'm more of a *BSD man myself. I prefer not a complete commandline environment but a near complete one. I don't use the GUI's that come with it, but just a web interface of a webserver backend. The main reason for this though isn't because I'm after a desktop, but a server.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I don't have wireless on my computer, but I think it's here...(you get it by clicking the two computer things left of the clock)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/?promoid=DNRMY
    And get the Linux version...the file you are looking for should be a .deb

ps.

If you want to use the inbuilt...go ahead. But you can go in to the repositories and find numerous wireless scanners which various functions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Again, that is the 9.04 version, mine is newer. And it did work from the Live CD, that's why I decided to install it because it was very fast. I can edit the list but nothing is showing up on the list. Now how can I check under Ubuntu if my wifi is turned on or not?

I didn't have a problem locating it, I can't install it because of the error message.

Now I already wasted 2+ hours on this crap reading the web and I wouldn't mind to downgrade, if it is possible. Any good advice how to do so? (because uninstalling it is also a pain in the ass)

9. John99 Banned Banned

i think that for your nic you need to add the connection in the control center. if you open the control center i may be able to run my brothers linux if you have problems.

for flash open synaptic package manager and search for flash.

10. John99 Banned Banned

plus be sure the driver is installed and then activate the card

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, one thing I noticed that the laptop's wifi light is not on and pushing the button doesn't do anything. So I was thinking maybe the keyboard isn't recognized correctly, and I changed it to Acer but no help. It could be that the wifi is not on, but at this point I am not sure how to turn it on or check it.

I am entertaining the idea of just letting it be for the time being and installing JJ 9.04. Would that work, can a computer triple booted?

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Why do people always upgrade as soon as a new version comes out? DON'T! Wait a few months until the bugs are removed.

13. John99 Banned Banned

14. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Do what most people do when they have a computer problem:
    Computer Maker, Model, Year
    OS, Specs (64,32) version number

No one can determine if you have a driver error if they don't know your computer make...or your software build. Get with the program. After you give me your information, I can see if I can help.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Although I generally agree, but:

1. So it is OUR fault that we expect the system working OK at release? Silly us...
    2. The system DID work OK while using Live CD.

But thanks for the help.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The thing is, why there is suddenly a driver error, when there was none under Live CD? Well, I did download the Flash when using the Live CD, so maybe since it was already downloaded, once installed it caused a problem...

Under Network Tools it says Wireless Interface Inactive, so I guess, that is the problem, just don't know how to acitvate it.

Acer Aspire 7520, 2007

Ubuntu Koala 9.10 32

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hehe, the possible problem and no solution:

"Driver looks ok, device disabled

* Newer laptops come with features to disable the wireless radio to save battery when not in use. Usually this is switched by a FN+Fx key combo or specific button for the purpose. It is possible driver and everything is ok but the wireless device is in the disabled state and can't be used. Using the designated key(s) in linux sometimes does not work.

Usually this is apparent by running the lshw command you see *-network:1 DISABLED or wireless=radio off, or if you run the iwconfig command you see eth1 NOT READY!. So how do you rectify this? It varies so much the exact solution can't be put here in this document for all the different models. So.."

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK, I just realized that this laptop is actually AMD 64 bit so probably that is the problem with the Flash...

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Are you running 64bit edition OS? because if you are the problem is the Adobe never made a good flash player plug-in for Linux x64, you have to find a hacked one.

20. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well if eveybody did that then the bugs would not be found now would they.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I think I came to the same conclusion. I still don't get why it worked perfectly with the Live CD.

Right now I am downloading the 64 bit version of the older, JJ and see if that would run. The only problem is that this is the desktop version, so that might screw things up. The laptop version is made for USB, so that is extra pain and I don't want to deal with it.

If the laptop runs the desktop version in the Live CD JJ, then I will install that.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

why not just install the proper flash plugin?

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Because there ISN'T a proper one for 64 bit. I guess I have to look around for a hacked one. Somebody please explain it to me, how come it worked from the LIve CD?

The JJ CD is done, but looks like once an Ubuntu is installed, (dual boot) it won't boot from the Live CD anymore, so I can not put a triple boot on.

How well....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.