News of the World

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Asguard, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

my apologies, i missread what you wrote. I thought you ment he was dumpting the NotW and just replacing it and business as usual

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Reports here in the US are that the FBI's just kind of opened a file, largely in response to pressure from some politicians, but isn't actively investigating anything at this point. What the FBI's doing is waiting to see what results emerge from the multiple British investigations that are currently underway. If it emerges that any phone hacking of Americans or any other illegal activities took place over here, then they already have a file open and they will proceed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's capitalism

Well, what has happened is an inevitable byproduct of capitalism.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not "the media" so much, as the rightwing TV and radio honchos and Murdoch in particular.

And it's not apathy - the people in the US who have been following the rise of Fox News and the effects of Murdoch on the US media have been making noise about this kind of stuff for a long time.

After watching the second or third James O'Keefe video get spread all over Murdoch's local empire and do its damage, this kind of phone hacking seems kind of routine, is all. Is anyone surprised?

8. Bells Staff Member

Oh he is. That part you did not read incorrectly. I suspect it is a matter of 'watch this space'... probably when this latest issue is over, we'll see another of his papers releasing a brand new Sunday edition.

But whether he comes out of this at all or with any part of what is left of his reputation intact remains to be seen.

This has been going on for years and for quite a while now, NoW has been losing corporate sponsorship. The fact that he shut it down and then instantly bought the domain names for his other papers for "Sunday" shows his true intentions. What we need to realise is that this is not just about phone hacking. But also about police corruption and possible Government corruption as well.

But the man is oblivious. He thinks they handled it quite well. That this has been happening for several years and he dismissed other proof and incidents of hacking says something about his mentality.. And he thinks they've handled it "extremely well".

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I guess thats the million $ question, what do his advertisers and the shareholders think. If they start pulling out and the shareholders get jittery my guess is that hes finished, if they stick with him, well then it depends how far parliment is willing to go and what happens with the various criminal investigations. As for his handling of the matter, well what can he say? There are only really 2 plays i can see, his resignation or him fighting back. I doubt a "im sorry, i fucked up, i was misslead" thing would work in this case.

10. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

Plots thickening on this: Wade arrested before the commitee is to meet. And on a Sunday, which is very unusual. Most shockingly is that Sean Hoare ( the journalist who basically opened up the can of worms and one of the prosecutions key witnesses) has just been found dead.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._lRZLD_9EOrOHJjww&sig2=ySFDXk1gv36Kdl3HhouhZQ

Seems very suspicious to me in that he just got done putting one of the largest news companies out of business from his testimony and he's never had any medical problems before.:shrug:

12. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

Same here. He did have some drink and drugs problem, but after some extensive treatment in rehab he was apparently clean. The timing of it makes it very suspicious, but until the autopsy report comes out I suppose we can only treat it as coincidence. Maybe, *tin foil hats here*, in the same way that David Kelly's death just before the start of the Iraq War can be treated as coincidence.

BBC are also reporting that he did have some other 'evidence' that he hadn't revealed yet. I hope he wrote it down somewhere, but with or without it this investigation is going ahead. And heads will roll.

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but the Chief of the Met and his assistant have already gone in the last 24 hours. It's starting to snowball and the Murdoch's appearance at the parliamentary commitee tomorrow should be interesting.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Tony Blair's government set up the Hutton Inquiry, a public inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death. This determined that Kelly had committed suicide, the pathologist who conducted the postmortem examination giving the cause of death as "haemorrhage due to incised wounds of the left wrist" in combination with "coproxamol ingestion and coronary artery atherosclerosis". Lord Hutton also decided that evidence related to the death, including the post-mortem report and photographs of the body, should remain classified for 70 years. In October 2010, Hutton explained that he had done so to protect the wife and daughters of Kelly from the distress of further media reports about the death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_(weapons_expert)

14. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

Always thought that was a bit strange. The family would have been inundated with reports on his death as soon as the report was released. :shrug:

Anyway back on NewsCorp and NI. Very good, quick, documentary by the BBC programme Panorama was on tonight. It can be watched here:

Edit: Damn. Can't post links yet. Just google BBC i-player and search Panorama. Title; Murdoch: Breaking the Spell.

Might bring some people up to speed if they aren't too familar with the story so far. The Sun journalist they interview with his lawyer is the guy who died today. A BBC reporter has come out tonight to say that he, (Hoare), told him a few weeks ago that he was very ill. Tinfoil hats off then.

15. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

News International and The Sun Newspapers are having their websites hacked by Lulzsec.

Turning the tables, they're posting phone numbers and e-mails. NI are losing. Badly.

Geeks rule.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

does anyone else think that the attacks by Newscorp against the BBC and ABC's online sections (and the ABCs 24 hour news channel) are rather disterbing concidering all this?

Imagin what "news" we would be getting on this matter if the ABC\BBC HAD said "fair enough, we will close down the internet sections"