Next question about emotion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by zzz_ZZZ_zzz, Jan 26, 2006.

1. zzz_ZZZ_zzz Registered Member

Next question about emotion... Surely Interesting ^^

Wow, what a great explanations in my last thread "what is emotion?". Surely I got lots of knowledge by read more than 100 reply. It is interesting, right isn't it?
    Well in my mind, I got a new question about emotion and other aspects. Below are the question.

Once a time, my friend called me to meet with her personally, because she wanted to say her problem with me. After she told her problem, I said "I know your feeling". If we think about my sentence, "I know your feeling", surely it is based on my emotion, right isn't it? But I have that kind of emotion because I have experinced it, isn't it? So what I want to ask:
    1) What comes first the emotion or the experience?

Every thing in this world exists because of something, example : Experince can come / exist, because of combination between knowledges or skill that results from our participation in events or activities. So my question:
    2) Can an emotion, such as love or grief or hate, have its origins in, or be shaped by languange?

Each of us have our own type of emotion, level of emotion, and amount of emotion. So my question:
    3) Is emotion a private realm of knowledge that can't be verified by others? Or only us as the owner can verified it?

The last is about emotion with knowledge...
    4) Is emotion essential to art or science?

Thank you for your great attention, I really appreciate that ^^

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

a.) When we say "I know how you feel", I think we are relating with the situtation that the person is in --- or the feeling the person might be going through in that situation. Because feelings cannot be described precisely, this statement has to be a vague one, but it still is very reassuring.

In this respect this statement only partly reflect our emotion on the situation.

(It is funny how sometimes words do not express our emotions as strongly as silence does!).

b.) But the above statement is also a part of our thought process (and not of emotions), because we are thinking and analysing an emotion that we had gone through before.

c.) When we say: "I know how you feel", this signifies that I have been through a similar feeling.

when we say: "I can understand how you feel", this signifies that I am trying to gauge mentally, how this would feel, by making up a similar imaginary situation for myself, and seeing what my emotions would be --- or something like that. So here I don't have to have experienced the situation before.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jhuang Registered Senior Member

In terms of emotion, I think it's always personal. "I know the feeling" means: I have experienced a feeling which I think is similar to the one you're having now. In other words, all feelings are unique and ephemeral and can't be recreated without going back in time. Each experience adds to emotion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.