Nietzsche and Existentialism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by anna f, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Xev Registered Senior Member

I 'Kant' stand Immanuel.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think that was my worst joke ever!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Yep, seems interesting enough, from what I've read so far. A bit flowery and poetic. I guess it takes all sorts. People tend to remember quotes by dead guys more often if the language is a tad poetic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Woh woh woh. Neitzsche is not original or intelligent? You just crossed a dangerously stupid line.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. noktvs Carnal-Siddha Registered Senior Member

Adam and others:

Some of Nietzsche's works *are* a bit "flowery and poetic" (most of all Zarathustra but I admit, this is one of my favorites). It depends on what your reading. If you want a good read that is less metaphorical in it's approach, you should check out The Anti-Christ. An online html version can be found here:

http://www.fns.org.uk/ac.htm

I also suggest Beyond Good and Evil a downloadable text version can be found here:

http://promo.net/cgi-promo/pg/t9.cg...e=ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

Xev,
    Hahaha, you made me laugh

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Noktvs: thanks for the links. I've saved the files, and I will get around to reading them some day.

9. noktvs Carnal-Siddha Registered Senior Member

No doubt! I mean, I can understand not agreeing with his Philosophy, but to imply it wasn't original?? wtf?

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Some of Nietzsche's works *are* a bit "flowery and poetic" (most of all Zarathustra but I admit, this is one of my favorites)...I also suggest Beyond Good and Evil a downloadable text version can be found here"

Ironically enough, Zarathustra and Beyond are basically the same book. Worded VERY VERY differently. You're right, Zarathustra is much more metaphorical in it's approach where as Beyond is more literal.

11. BustedCrutch Registered Member

I also didn't make wild claims. I have nothing to backup. I think my case against you was fairly strong, else you would have replied to it.

Did you even read my last message?

You seem to want my opinion, so I'll lower my defenses and offer it. Quite simply; to read Nietzsche is to be educated. His systematic method of doubting is rivaled only by Descartes, and though he may rue it, he is the great grandfather of post-modernism. Rather than asking "Is it just?" he asked "Who benefits from this?"

That type of doubting led to some interesting paths, including a critique on raw morality and a disdain for Christianity.

I don't think their are any "Nietzschians," but he is certainly an individual that must be read, regardless of your agreement with him. I don't agree with everything he said, but his conclusions make him a fun read.

12. Robeson Registered Senior Member

I found thus spoke rather drab compared to others such as John Stuart Mill. Perhaps it is because I do not like Neitzche that I do not agree with him at all. If I said he was unoriginal...I apologize that would be words coming out of my arse.

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"I found thus spoke rather drab compared to others such as John Stuart Mill"

Finding someone drab is one thing, calling them a drunken screwball is another. I honestly can't understand you finding Mill less drab than Neitzsche. But hey, that's your choice.

"Perhaps it is because I do not like Neitzche that I do not agree with him at all"

Possible. Or maybe the other way around?