Nietzsche's Wang

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sevenblu, Oct 26, 2003.

1. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

In Nietzsche's NOTES (1880-1881) he writes: "The reabsorption of semen by the blood is the strongest nourishment and, perhaps more than any other factor, it prompts the stimulus of power, the unrest of all forces toward the overcoming of resistances, the thirst for contradiction and resistance. The feeling of power has so far mounted highest in abstinent priests and hermits (for example, amoung the Brahmans)."

Also, I've read that Thoreau was a lifelong virgin for the same reasons. And I've heard of a theory that insists masturbation (for the male) limits the ability the dream more vividly.

Any thoughts on this subject?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RebelWithoutACow Registered Senior Member

Personally I've always found Nietzsche to be a bit of a loon, as for this theory on reabsorption of sperm, i'd say its a myth he either started or became enamoured with. It bears an uncanny resemblance to that old "sperm is full of protein" rubbish men used to tell women in the hope of getting them to swallow during oral sex, and as many medical practioners have pointed out regarding that particular claim, the amount of proteins and nutrients in sperm is minute. I also would have thought that if some mysterious component of sperm WAS capable of enhancing the mind in any way, somebody amongst the hordes of scientists performing research in the world today would have discovered it.

This is not to say abstinence is without benefit. I havent tried it personally, but occasionaly due to reasons beyond my control I have to go without my precious cigarettes for a day or two, and during that time I am usually VERY productive, both physically and mentally, for the simple reason that I need to distract myself from not smoking.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Perhaps not the best analogy, but I think something along those lines is a more likely explanation of any benefit from abstinence than some sort of 'super sperm power".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Sperm is reabsorbed into the body. As for the effects on the mind; I know nothing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ProCop Valued Senior Member

Zigmund Freud developed a theory of sublimation in which he describes why and how sexual drive is "sublimated" (redirected) at other aims.

I do not think that sperma is reabsorbed. It is ejaculated during the sleep at some weeks interval (in the case of the absence of partner(s)) But few experience this due to "the holy gift" of masturbation.

8. RebelWithoutACow Registered Senior Member

As c.coffee said, it is reabsorbed, i went and checked on some med sites. As far as I can tell, though, all it does is stop your testicles from exploding and save a bit of energy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Nietzche's did not mean reabsorption of semen by the blood thro digestion (oral sex). there is a hermit belief that by practising certain spritual exercises one can redirect the sexual power into spritual/intellectual/physical energy. the effect may result in either very high intellectual/physical power OR outright lunacy if gone wrong.! modern science may interpret this as controlling associated harmones for good/bad.