NIRVANA - my fav. cyberpunk film

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Avatar, May 21, 2004.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Directed by Gabriele Salvatores
    Written by Gabriele Salvatores
    Starring: Christopher Lambert (Jimi)
    Diego Abatantuono (Solo)
    Sergio Rubini (Joystick)
    Stefania Rocca (Naima)
    Emmanuelle Seigner (Lisa)
    year: 1997 (note that this is before The Matrix)
    official website: http://www.nirvana.it/home_int.htm
    locations:
    --------
    plot intro:
    --------

Snow falls incessantly from the sky. Jimi is alone. Lisa, his girlfriend left him a year before. Jimi is a successful videogame designer and works for Okosama Starr, a multinational leader in its field. His latest game, Nirvana, will hit the stores on Christmas day. But Jimi is unhappy, his life seems meaningless, his soul is ailing. And, though at first Jimi doesn't understand, his computer is also sick: a virus has attacked his program Nirvana and Solo, the video game's hero, has become consciously aware of being a virtual character in an imaginary world, doomed to repeat to eternity the same fabricated actions in what is only the appearance of real life.
    This, naturally, is unbearable and Solo asks Jimi to release him from this nightmare and delete him. And maybe it's just what Jimi was waiting for, maybe destroying what you've created is the only possible act of true freedom... But it's easier said than done: a copy of the videogame is kept in Okosama Starr's data bank. Jimi has to hack into it and needs allies to do so. In the Arab district of the Agglomerate, called Marrakech, lives an hacker called Joystick who spends his time surfing in the net and hacking into data banks of multinationals.
    Lisa had moved in with him when she'd left Jimi but she's gone to live somewhere in the Suburbs. Jimi begins his quest into the Suburbs in search of Lisa together with Joystick who's sold his corneas and now sees in black and white through two electronic prostheses, and Naima, a young woman hardware expert who's lost her memory and can only insert artificial memories in her head..

--------
    view
    --------

this film is AMAZING!
    it has it all
    it has the dirt, it's not your polished matrix. it feels a real world out there. hte lowlives, the everything...
    some people say: hey, but matrix had smthing simmilar!
    this film was filmed and released prior to Matrix in 1997 and it's a lot lot lot better than Matrix (if you're not a SFX slave).
    the feeling, atmoshphere
    brillian cyberpunk depiction of the world but here technology meets spiritualism and is beautifully morphed with hindu world view.
    I think this movie grabs the breath of any cyberpunk

quote from some fansite to which I fully agree to

----------
    ---------------

I first got this movie from one buddy who has somewhat 8000 cd's of movies, so I was really lucky to find it, but it was in a crap of a quality
    then I searched for better quality, but found none.
    tried itallian dc++ hubs and voila! but that was italian version not english as the one in crap quality

(my itallian is not the best /laughs)
    finally I ripped the sound off the english one, the picture from the italian one and after several tries and a few cut out parts from the beggining titles (they were different!) I managed to get a complete and ideal video/sound sync. hehehe I have a unique fileversion of this movie

----------
    Stryder, my sis comes to Latvia this summer's solstice. I'll give her a copy for you.
    (more or less noting/reminding it to myself)

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Looks interesting. I'd need an english version or at least subtitles. Wonder if I can find it on kazaa or soulseek...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Ah and I thought you watched Nirvana about Nirvana the band. Sucker.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

It looks really good. I would also need to have it in English or French. I can understand some Italian, but not movie language.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member