No evidence of second Earth

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I'd like one with no humans and just able to sustain human life

Coupled with easy access would make a great faith testing lab

Or a prison where no guards needed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Goldtop Registered Senior Member

Seems that a great deal of the Earths surface is inhospitable for humans, seems God did a pretty crappy job of it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

On the other hand, humans have a long history of rushing in where angels fear to tread.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I thought that was "fools"... Lo mismo, que?

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Son en su mayoría los mismos.

<>

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

So would I. I wouldn't bet that there is a planet out there that is better for life that has evolved on Earth (anything is possible) and I wouldn't bet that we will be frequenting other solar systems due to the distances involved (again, anything is possible).

11. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

There might be types of complex slash intelligent life which don't require terrestrial conditions to engender and maintain them. Even if such are so dependent, and the Earth is an uncommon convergence of multiple necessary characteristics, the latter need not be due to a deity dictating it be so at a level prior in rank to space and time. The items below are just a sample -- the wishes of concepts reified as humanoid gods are not required by them.

Rare Earth hypothesis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis

New model predicts that we're probably the only advanced civilization in the observable universe
    https://phys.org/news/2018-06-advanced-civilization-universe.html

Why plate tectonics may be essential for life
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/plate-tectonics-may-be-essential-for-life-20180607/

~

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

More archipelagos, lower percentage of land area in continental masses.

13. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Perpetually tranquil worlds would probably be bastions of unchallenged simplicity and mindless routine. May need a history disrupted by great environmental stresses and apocalyptic extinction events to deliver "interesting" life. But too much of that in the active inner regions of galaxies would be an even more severe impediment. Takes a balance between the two.

Yah, at best the equivalent of "black monoliths" on an uplift commission or von Neumann explorers would be doing that in their incredibly slow, quasi-hibernating migrations -- not us. If mutation or self-engineering is possible for nanotech, then "space wildlife" might eventually splinter off from the original machines, yielding nomadic critters without a formal agenda or eons-long mission.

~

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ah! I see where you're going with that!

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

only the fool says no God

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Only the fool says "God".

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

The smart people don't get involved

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You could say only the fool states the obvious.
    Can I ...may I ask how is it that even a fool knows there is no God.
    Alex

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Strong, but true enough not conclusive, evidence that physics accounts for stuff while those who credit god with the same stuff have no evidence

While 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'
    if reality is producing evidence and
    god not presenting any evidence sounds, to me, like they do not have any

Thought bubble - are they still looking? have they any new detection methods,?

I would say I have reasonable doubt god exist which translates to non existence of god

Not perfect but good enough for me

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't bet that there are not planets out there that are better for life that has evolved on Earth and I wouldn't bet that we will not be frequenting other solar systems.

<>

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It does seem like there are many planets that have similar stats to Earth and it would not be unusual to find billions of Earth like planets ineach galaxy.

Saint would you bet your life that there is only one Earth like planet ...sure you would you just want to jump the line for the after life.

Will we ever get to go to any of them?

Who knows.

Man has come a long way...who would have thought we could know where the Sun went at night and yet we now know.

It is not possible to travel the distances that are involved from what we know at the moment but before flight we would have never accepted that the jets that fly the world today would be possible.

We say travel would take many human life times well from what I hear greatly extended life times are becoming close to possible.

I can imagine a giant craft leaving Earth and taking many generations to get somewhere and although that seems unrealistic who knows what say 10 billion organised educated humans could do if they all pulled together...imagine if we could divert the physical and human resources wasted on religious pursuits...theres your giant space ship right there...and they could all get to go to heaven.. .either that or get them to check for life on the surface of the Sun.

But Saint you will have to back down on your claim that God made only one Earth like planet...firstly as there is no creator God and secondly it seems there are indeed billions of similar planets...I bet you will not look however because you fear you will find your baseless claim is well baseless.

The problem with so many believers would seem to be that they think a book of made up stories from the bronze age is a good place to find their science and as this book is clearly the only book they know about fail to read books written by folk who living thousands of years later actually know where the Sun goes at night...you would not go to the dentist to trim your toe nails so why would you go to church to get your science...scientists can give you science because they are scientists now that makes sense does it not? Of course it does...does it make sense...yes..I say brothers and sisters does it make sense...yes... does it make sense ..yes... praise the science...what do we praise...the science ..I want those up the back...praise the science...those up the front...praise the science... yea praise the science...

Now those preachers give you religion because because they cant get a real job and have to resort to trickery and superstition to get money out of gullible folk.
    Who are the gullible...we are...those up the back..who are the gullible ...we are....

Now I want you to take the money you waste on being told fairy tales at church and buy some real text books and learn more than a bronze age goat herder.

Up the back...buy real text books...let the folk at home hear you...buy real text books...those up the front...what are text books☺

Alex

22. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Only saints think they're holy enough to call other people fools.

RADII likes this.
  23. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

You don't need a religious mantle to call people fools. I do it all the time.

No trumpets sound, no aura appears around me, flowers don't spring from the ground beneath my feet. It's an assessment based on my personal experience and knowledge, nothing more.

Saint just may be a fool, if it's a living person. If it's Eliza 3.5.1, blame the programmer.