No moral difference between intentional killing & carelessly killing &

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Sep 8, 2008.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Sam, Ida, Carol & Karl are hiking up a mountain. On 1 side of the mountain, Sam pushes Ida off a cliff. On the other side, Karl slips & barely catches hold to a rock on the cliffside. His fingers are slipping. Carol, with very little risk to herself, can grab his arm long enough for him to get a better hold & climb back. She doesn't & Karl falls. I see no significant difference between them. 1 is legally punished.

A drunk driver does damage to parked cars & traffic signs. A drunk with a gun does damage to cars & traffic signs. I see no difference. 1 is usually punished worse than the other.

Someone aims a gun at me & shoots. Someone points a gun up & shoots & the bullet comes down to hit you. No significant difference.

2 people commit seperate acts of arson. Everything is the same except in 1, people die.

John points a gun at Erin, intending to scare her but he's nervous & inexperienced. He accidently fires, killing her. Keri shoots at Ron, attemting to kill him but she misses.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Have you ever been in any of the situations you mentioned? Have you ever had friends? Do you understand what peer pressure is? Do you know that it exists as long as you live in social circles? Do you understand that there is a great difference between carelessness and intent?

See, I doubt you understand any of that. About 15 years ago, my friend's little sister came downstairs with her father's gun in her hand. My friend tried to take the gun away from her, and in the struggle, the gun went off. She died in his arms. Now, according to your logic, she is morally responsible for her own death, correct? Even though she was just 12 years old? Or was it her brother's fault for trying to take the gun as opposed to talking her away from it?

You, and people like you, put these blanket statements out there, deeming who is moral and who isn't, and not one of you people has ever walked a mile in the shoes of the people you condemn. I'd go on, but I'm sure your brain hurts from reading...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

You realize these situations are supposed to be hypothetical situations that many of us will never experience simply to make us think, right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'd like to mostly hold back until after more replies but I DID NOT CONDEMN ANYONE. And you have no idea what I've been thru or what I understand. (Damned difficult to leave this at a minimum.)

8. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

What happened to her was an accident. What he is refferring is somewhat different. He is just asking a question, you don't need to be such a prick. If anything prove your point in a different tone, since you are so wise.
    --------------------------
    back to the topic...
    If you kill someone, as in you purposely did something to end that persons life then you are accountable.

But you cannot arrest someone for not saving someone elses life if they lead themselves to their own death, as sad and selfish the situation may be, we are not accountable for that. Ever realize the moral implications and accusations that could show up if people actually were forcefully held up to such a responsibility?

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

JDawg thats terrible

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i feel for them, though at the same time what the fuck did they have a loaded gun where a child could get her hands on it for??????