Nothing from Something?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Myles Registered Senior Member

Give him a bit of time and he'll come up with the idea that zero has the attribute of nothingness. I wish you joy.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Why not?

\(\sqrt{-1}=0.50+0.50'\)

so long as

\(\sqrt{1}=0.50-0.50=0\)

This is the ''inbetween factor of 1 and and 0.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

So, we agree then. There is no primary cause. In that case, the only explanation I am aware of that doesn't require a primary cause is that all is nothingness. You've got another?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Or something always existed. In other words: there never was nothing.

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Then by your definition, there never was a beginning, in which case something still doesn't come from nothing.

I am saying that zero represents the lack of all attributes, a.k.a. in your reasoning, it means nothing. The fact that you can add zero to anything without changing it is just a trivial definition which states that adding zero to anything does not give it any attributes, as the zero itself contains no attributes.

10. Reiku Banned Banned

No. Let me explain even more...

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Logically, there was no 'before the universe'. So how can there logically be a beginning ?

12. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I am not claiming nothingness was the intial condition of existence. I am not claiming there was a great big empty box one day, and then, magically, the next day a particle appeared. I am claiming that existence is nothingness, but that your understanding of nothingness does not take into account multiple nothingnesses and how those interactions can create matter. When you think of nothingness, you probably think of zero. We'll you can also think of nothingness as 0+0, or more appropriately, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0. It's your conception of nothingness that needs refinement to take into account the multiple aspects that nothingness can mathematically take the form of.

13. CptBork Valued Senior Member

"0+0=0" means that when you have something lacking any attributes, i.e. nothingness, and you don't add anything with attributes to this nothingness, you still have nothingness. Simple logic, I'm kind of shocked anyone would try to derive more from this.

14. Myles Registered Senior Member

Sorry , but I have it on good authority that 2 = 2 x (10^0 x ( 0 ^0) + 2 x 0

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It means that adding up zero's is meaningless because you always end up with zero anyway.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Is 0^0 even defined ? lol

17. CptBork Valued Senior Member

What you fail to understand is that "0+x" is the operation which takes x and does not add any attributes to it. So the zero still represents nothingness, a lack of any mathematical action, as one would expect.

18. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

No, you are wrong. The correct one is

\(1=0\)

so long as

\(0+*=&^\)

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Isn't zero just still in the equation for clarity reasons ? It's not functional in any way.

0+x = x

You might just as well write: x = x

20. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

I didn't say that. I gave you the proper definition of zero in the field of reals. I can construct exactly the same mathematical system where 1 plays the role of 0.

Let A = (R,+) be the group of reals under addition. Let B = (\(R^{+}\),*) be the group of positive reals under multiplication. Define the group homomorphism \(\phi\) via \(\phi : x \in A \to e^{x} \in B\).

Therefore \(\phi(0) = 1\).

It would seem the mathematician in you doesn't understand maths.

21. Reiku Banned Banned

There cannot be a beginning in a vector, if there is no end. So.. consider this...

ZERO=1

1=Zero so...

\((a+bi)(a-bi)=a^2-b^2+2abi\) and will yeild \(\sqrt{1}\) if \(b=0\)...

However.... if \(b>0\), then \((a+bi)(a-bi)=a^2-b^2+2abi\) yeilds a negative number, \(\sqrt{-1}\), so there is a superpositioning factor between \(\sqrt{-1}\) and \(\sqrt{1}\) as \(0.50/0.50\).

So... \((a^2+b^2)=\sqrt{1}\) has a middle value of \(0.50\) of it holds true (which we know it should), if \(b>0\) so that = \((a^2-b^2)=\sqrt{-1}\).

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

This is a joke right ?

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I thought that sqrt(-1) is not allowed.