Now reading (The Book Thread)

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Avatar, Jun 30, 2006.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Two great reads I've read recently...and I HIGHLY recommend...are:

* Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl -- a true story about a man who was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor. Frankl was the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of existential analysis. He suggests that it is not the sum total of our life experiences that make us who we are, and define us...but rather how we react to them. It is nothing short of the best book I have ever read in my life. It changed my thinking on so much! Please find the time to read this; I have a feeling you will come away with the same thoughts about it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

* Conspiracy of Fools, by Kurt Eichenwald. The true story of the Enron collapse, is basically the backdrop of the story. But, it is more than a mere regurgitation of news events that you might be familiar with, from the scandal. It is so well written. Truly a riveting book about what REALLY happened, and it is far more diabolical than you could ever have imagined, or that the media reported about.

I need to scroll through this thread to pick up some suggestions that I haven't thought of...I tend to lean towards non fiction. I don't find modern day fiction writers to be all that great. :/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Ah, it’s one of the most influential books in the United States, but I've yet to read it.

Thanks, little Missy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. schema Registered Member

I am currently trying to digest 'In Cold Blood' by Capote. It is non-fiction, so it is dragging on and putting me to sleep, however I love Capote.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

There is a book written by a gentleman names Sir Aurobindo:titled "Rebirth and Karma..not a bad Wiki on Sri Aurobindo.
    I like this book it is somewhat enlightening.

8. Boo88 Registered Member

I started my annual re-read of Fear and Loathing in Vegas/Campaign Trail. Have been doing so since I was a teenager.

I've just finished up a book called Apocalypse Jukebox, which looks at the fascination with the end (religious/nuclear) in American Popular music. So it covers Coltrane, Dylan, Devo, REM, and loads more. Great read. The Devo chapter was especially eye opening.

Also read London's Overthrow by China Mieville on at the weekend. Instead of his usual fiction, it's a short essay about London, just before the Olympics. Great read.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dean Koontz: Tick Tock. It's from the early 1990s, but they had it on sale at Costco.

Unusual for Koontz because it's full of laughs, rather charming. Nonetheless it's just as creepy and spooky as his other work. The protagonist is a Vietnamese-American (and you know that's going to have something to do with the plot development), the whole story takes place in one night, and the ending is rather satisfying--which (IMHO) is not true of all of his work.

And yes of course, there's a dog in it.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The Bonfire of the Vanities, by Tom Wolfe. I love my kindle, you can read so many novels, for half the price.

12. Olinguito Registered Member

I recently read Six Easy Pieces, edited excerpts from the Richard Feynman lectures at Caltech.

Currently I’m reading a textbook on cognitive science.

13. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I'm currently reading Alice Munro in Swedish 'För mycket lycka' and John Taylors 'In the pleasure groove love, death & Duran Duran. I have to say that John Taylor has an incredible memory for details.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I assume that refers to the new-wave rock band, not the character in the movie "Barbarella" after whom they're named?

15. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Yes Fraggle, the band.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

"Surface Detail", by Ian M. Banks (sci-fi).

17. Olinguito Registered Member

Now reading this book:

18. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Antiquity by Norman Cantor

Certainly not an in depth study of ancient cultures but a good summary, flows smoothly and whets the appetite to do further research. Loving it!

19. Olinguito Registered Member

I’m now reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

20. river

I have the book

Interesting

Thoughts on the book ?

21. kmguru Staff Member

Anyone knows if he thought Indians saw the real gods (that were here) that are outside of our solar system?

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'm now reading Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K Le Guin. 1st time for it tho I've read several of her books twice. I was putting a couple books back in a bookcase & it fell out. It seems more than half the time I don't make a conscious decision what to read. I love so many authors & will not attempt to name a favorite but Le Guin's writing, to me, is like someone sitting nearby telling me a story. I can imagine we're having some Irish Coffee by the fireplace as she takes me to other worlds.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Joseph Campbell was not a religionist. As a Jungian, he recognized archetypes in the fables of the Earth's religions.