Nursing while drinking

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

The goverment advice is NO achole during pregancy because there has been no evidence to say that any level is safe. Some kids will be born to mothers who drink constantly and be fine, others will be born to a mother who has only had that one drink and be serverly impared. Its not worth the risk.

On the matter of achole while breast feeding

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

She thinks what I said is overly paranoid and maybe it is but I'm really not a fan of giving developing infants recreational drugs. I apologize for my tone earlier, but this is one issue I'm really not cool with. I work with toxic chemicals at a museum, I could probably drink some and they wouldn't kill me, but I'm wouldn't go out my way to expose my baby to them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh bells, you know i once had a reasonably heated argument with mum about drinking while pregnant. When she and her friends were pregnant the advice for women who couldnt eat because of the pregancy was to drink stout (which is actually how we came onto the topic because i ordered a gunnes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) and her opinion was that it "never did anyone any harm". Currently the evidence says that no level of achole is safe during pregancy and that if it was recomended in the past then they were either wrong or negligent depending what resurch at that time suggested

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I understand. I grew up in an environment where it's viewed in the same light as giving a kid sugar or preservatives. If you screw up and have half a glass of an old Italian wine because it was too tempting at dinner and now you have to feed the baby, you just don't keep kicking your own ass over it because it won't really affect anything.

I agree it's best if you don't.

8. Roman Banned Banned

You know, during the middle ages, everyone was drinking booze since the water would make you sick. Makes me wonder if everybody had mild FAS back then.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes because life expectancy for the mentally and physically handicaped was so good back then with the priests denouncing them as possesend by deamons and boring holes in there heads right?

10. Roman Banned Banned

I didn't say severe FAS. I imagine being slightly retarded 500 years ago would have been pretty beneficial- you'd have retard strength, would accept retarded Church doctrine, and make a pretty good follower.

Hell about 60% of the population of humans is mildly retarded, and there's like 6 billion of us going strong.

11. Bells Staff Member

I didn't touch a drop while pregnant. The sip of champagne I had was when I was nursing, not pregnant.

A lot of women in previous generations were prescribed Guiness during their pregnancy. Not in copious amounts. Some women do still have a drink during their 2nd or 3rd trimester. While no alcohol is the safest option, it really does not pay to start berating women who are in the later stages of their pregnancy who have a small wine or something. Nor is it fair to start telling women off because they were prescribed Guiness during their pregnancy. In those days, they did not know any better. Just as we don't really know that much better these days and can only go on the advice of our doctors. Hell, the hospital where I and my sister in law gave birth in (private) gave us small bottles of red or white wine with our dinners. I never drank it, but I remember she did after she had her children and no one ever said a word.

10 years ago, a pregnant woman could eat ham without any cause for concern. Now pregnant women are told to avoid all ham and even slightly runny eggs, etc.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i didnt berate because she did it, as far as i know she never did. i was irritated because of her comment that it never did anyone any harm and we have always done it. people have to be willing to accept that evidence changes, especially science grads like my parents. thats the way we have always done it is no excuse when the evidence and warnings are so widly publised and the goverment pays a fortue each year making sure lay people have access to resurch like cochrane and the department of health resurch