Observations...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

This thread can't be derailed as it is about anything you want to contribute or comment on.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have observed a couple of things lately that I'll comment on. When I see anyone on YouTube, TV, FB or in the press who refers to themselves as Doctor Mike or Doctor (any name) and they want to tell you about something that has nothing to do with medicine or that sometimes is only loosely related such a nutrition I've noticed that it's never an MD and always a chiropractor .

I have a close friend who is a MD and she never refers to herself that way and only acts that way if she is at a professional conference (or work). Chiropractors always want to be addressed as doctor even if they are giving gardening advice.

People with a Phd don't act that way (unless they are Henry Kissenger) and a Phd probably takes longer to get.

Observation/comment two...people seem to misuse the word "Pro". It's short for professional and you can't really be a professional if you aren't in one of the professions. Professions require licenses, tests, education and are basically doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants (CPA) and pharmacists.

I was reading a shaving forum where people like to shave with straight razors, use shaving soap and brushes, etc. and someone was trying to decide if they should learn how to hone their own razor on let a "pro" do it.

Someone who sharpens razors for a living is doing it in a commercial setting as opposed to a private setting. They aren't a "professional" however. I can wash my own hair but if I pay someone to do it they still aren't a professional because washing hair isn't a profession.

Feel free to comment or leave your own observations.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I think these days if you can charge money that entitles you to be called professional.

Doctor Alex

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.