Official say on sock puppets?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Athelwulf, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I want to know what the official stance on multiple accounts is, if there is one. I have not heard one.

If we don't have one, then allow me to say that I see nothing wrong with them and consider a ban on them pointless. They do not exactly cause harm.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

mine is badass.

nice tagline. i agree, we should all stand up for that.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I just don't understand why people feel the need to have one or more. Is it because people are scared to say what they think under their main "character" so create alts to supposedly be honest? Kind of stupid if you ask me.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

my sockpuppet is a redneck christian neoconservative.

not QUITE the opposite of myself, but fairly close.

100 bucks to any non-mod that can guess who it is.

8. Bells Staff Member

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

nope. mine is more belligerent.

10. Bells Staff Member

Oh god. If you say you're Baron I am going to cry!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i am responsible for his return (indirectly), but alas....i am not he.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I want kebabomatic back.

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

get him back.

14. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Then change your snotwuh to show it as well.

Perhaps, but why not let the choice of having a sock puppet if one so chooses? Again, it doesn't harm anyone.

D'ster? Radicand? Buffalo Roam? Would you say if I actually guessed it?

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Because it can be fun.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course you might also spend your time arguing with 4-5 people over a period of time and later find out all 4-5 were one person manifesting multiple personalities. It's happened to me.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

And I bet it was a lot of fun for the other 4-5 people in the argument!

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it was!

19. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

That'd be fun to do, playing different personalities.

20. Meanwhile Banned Banned

You're all assuming that having multiple puppets automatically equates concurrent attendance and usage of. I, for example, had no way of deleting previous accounts once those characters were exhausted, hence multiple "puppets". Fenris Wolf would purposefully use one or the other but only occasionally for a specific task (remember his Marquis, was it?). Satyr has seemingly buried the Wanderer -- buried him alive? Anyway, people don't seem to understand the art of changing for different occasions. It can be a contemplative, necessary, and assertive move to change one's demeanor in mid-flight.

21. Or, alternatively, just yet another opportunity to go slithering up other peoples nostrils all over again after having excelled in a similar pursuit the first time around - there's just really no particular guarantee of quality in the activity for everyone else really, is there old stick...?

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I know one or two socks (that I have not exposed) and their reasons for having a sock are reasonable given the culture of this board and the intolerance expressed towards people with certain view points that do not fit the sci forum 'norm'.

For example, there are educated people who have a 'name' that they use for 'answering questions' and 'educating' etc, and they may use a different 'name' which they use instead for 'asking questions'.

I understand why this occurs.

They do not use their socks to argue with themselves or 'gang up' on other members, hence they are tolerated and permitted by the mods. They are not abusing the posters or the system. Merely a means to an end.

It is their choice unless they are being a nuisance.

23. Yes, but what about wood-work inhabiting, rock-scuttling arse-weasels who only poke their heads out of at the prospect of an argument and then disappear back into the scenery - only to re-emerge (or so they claim) the next time around but we, the members on the other hand, actually have no such guarantee such remains infact the case.

Take Meanwhile, for example. Certainly he/she/it claims legitimate posting habits - but irrespective of certain sounds issued - what guarantee do the rest of us actually have that someone like Meanwhile actually isn't a long term, regular poster by day - and a free-loading, nostril climbing waste of someone else's bandwidth whenever the urge suits?

We don't, except that assurance given by administration that, in being allowed to continue in their current identity such is the only version of that individual available at any given time.

The internet requires faith, which we volunteer. The kebabomatics of this world, given that such is the result wholly of just simply pure, unadulterated talent - I have not the slightest problem with nor really should anyone else.

Lamentably, not everyones Kebabomatic. Or, given who Kebabomatic actually is, possibly that's no bad thing either....

But as to the rest of us though - we either play it straight or, otherwise, really what is the blessed point of it all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.