Ohio man declared dead, comes back to life 45 minutes later

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by arauca, Aug 23, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

A 37-year-old Ohio man whose heart stopped for 45 minutes earlier this month says medical staff can't explain how he came back from the dead.

ABC News reported Tony Yahle's wife woke up early on the morning of Aug. 5 and noticed her husband's breathing was irregular. Melissa Yahle couldn't wake her husband up, so she called an ambulance and he was rushed to the hospital.

[ Related: Detroit paramedic treats heart-attack patient — while suffering heart attack ]

That afternoon in the hospital Tony's heart stopped, according to WHIO TV, and for 45 minutes while doctors tried to revive him, the cardiac monitor stayed flat-lined.

Finally, doctors declared him dead and his son Lawrence, 17, ran to his father's hospital bed.

"Dad, you're not going to die today," he said, according to ABC.

And he didn't die. After Lawrence had pleaded for his father to stay alive, medical staff said they noticed his heart beat pulsing again once or twice each minute, according to ABC.

"When I looked at the electrical activity, I was surprised," Nazir told ABC. "I thought we'd better make another effort to revive him."

His heart rate sped up and a week later, Yahle is already feeling well enough to speak to television cameras, telling media he thought his survival was miraculous.

The doctor, who expected Yahle to at least require a heart transplant, used similar words to describe the patient's recovery.

"I'm calling it a miracle because I've never seen anything like it," Nazir told ABC.

Another patient in Australia also came back to life last week after her heart stopped for 42 minutes, according to Agence-France Presse.

[ Related: Record-breaking Tetris game is faster than you can handle ]

Vanessa Tanasio, aged 41, had a massive heart attack and she was declared dead after arriving at the hospital, according to AFP. However, a cardiologist was able to unclog her artery and shock her back to life.

She told media that only a week after her ordeal, she feels "great."

What explanation science have for such miracles ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

The basis of the "zombie" legend?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

Come on, can you come with something better then that ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Probably, but not interested.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

They weren't really dead, they were rather bad misdiagnoses.

9. HealthBlushon Registered Member

just stupidity. died people can not come back

10. arauca Banned Banned

You always can move the mark farther away . but at the present it is beyond our mark

11. arauca Banned Banned

So hoe long do you wait until the death pronunciation ? When the body start to stink and be blotted ?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Isn't it great how modern medicine can revive people thought dead, and then religious people call it a miracle? How about giving the doctors and medical technology some credit?

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Huh?

14. arauca Banned Banned

Did you read they give him away for death . and his son 17 years old was pleading his dead not to die . Look Id I would not believe in science I would not pay my son to attend medical school were the tuition alon is $ 37500 / year

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

If he flat lined for that long, it's definitely an intriguing mystery. When one's heart stops, blood stops flowing to the brain. So, wonder what his quality of life will be now, having flat lined for that long.

16. arauca Banned Banned

Apparently the man is ok and the lady in Australia is ok also, but on the Australian case they were working on here

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Oh, that's good news.
    Will be interesting to hear if he experienced an "out of body" experience, as they say.
    I'm not sure what to make of those stories.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, but after attempts to revive him. If this were the 19th century, he would most likely be dead.

19. arauca Banned Banned

the point . We assume once there is a flat line is death . But does the flat line is saying that all cell are death, the flat line tells the general communication among the cells have been disrupted , that does not mean all cell have died yet, the cells will die group by group and there might be many cells that are alive

20. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

HERE is an interesting tid bit on the subject of OBEs.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There have been a few other cases over the decades, of people having no life signs, yet being revived after several hours. The usual circumstance is that the heart muscle is pumping very lightly so it doesn't show up on first-responder instruments. Just providing enough oxygen to keep the synapses in the brain from degrading irreversibly.

In the only incident I remember with any clarity, the subject had been bitten by a non-native pet snake that no one in the region was familiar with. Its poison was not quite strong enough to completely stop the heart of an animal the size of a human. But it was strong enough to reduce the activity of the heart to a level that could not be detected by the instruments of the era--this was at least 20 years ago.

22. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Quite simply, there is no clear line between "alive" and "dead", so when a doctor declares someone dead, it is largely a judgement call and not necessarily 100% accurate. It is no more complicated than that.

23. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

The lifesaving actions the doctors take do keep blood flowing to the brain. And the better doctors get at it, the longer patients can last without their heart doing the pumping.