Oil Crisis

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by ck27, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golgo 13 The Professional Registered Senior Member

Yeah, starvation will solve the population problem. Our population is doubling every 40 years, and it won't continue. Natural limits and all.

Modern agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food. less petroleum = less food. Terminal decline in petroleum prodiction = terminal decline in modern agricultural capabilities.

The GM food manufacturers like Monsanto and Syngenta are now saying that they have to genetically engineer food to feed the population or we're going to be in a major crisis.

So, we'll have to go back to organic farming. No big deal right? Wrong. The most food we can produce with traditional farming is for 2 billion people tops. That's not including famine, drought, nitrogen depletion due to fossil fuel farming, etc. It's going to take awhile to get the nitrogen back in the soil with legumes, and we're not doing it.

The Oil We Eat

Eating Fossil Fuels

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Karmashock The Doomslayer Registered Senior Member

The US has, for most of its history, been a net exporter of food. Perhaps other people will go hungry, and we'll of course send them what we can 'if the worst happens, and I doubt it will', but the US isn't going to starve.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Golgo 13 The Professional Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Karmashock The Doomslayer Registered Senior Member

do you have that whole book scanned into your computer?... just curious

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Golgo 13 The Professional Registered Senior Member

I have the whole book in .pdf and take screenshots of relevant sections.

You can download it here if you'd like to read it.

Here's an interesting article I came across today:

The Axis of Oil

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

We are overpopulated today. The fact that it is not worse than it is, is precisley because the doomsayers you decry were able to have some effect upon government policies and individual choices.

10. Karmashock The Doomslayer Registered Senior Member

No, it's because we're not lemmings.

11. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Whats wrong with lemmings eh?.. i think their funny

12. charlesesl Registered Member

The only viable alternative to war and starvation for population reduction in the third world countries in the one child policy, which the west have long redicued as human right abuse.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

There's a whole lot of research being put into renewable energy sources. I remember hearing not long time ago that a guy invented a solar power plant that gets more than the double amount of energy than the regular ones.

It is not hard to not depend on oil. The problem is that the richest people in the planet don't like that idea. Those people are rich because "we" "depend" on oil. It is of their best interest to prevent those technologies from being developed and put into practice. Even because those technologies would make energy very cheap, since the supply of energy would become endless. They want us to continue being their slaves.

As for the end of civilization.... I don't know about you, but I don't need oil to run my "engine"....

14. Karmashock The Doomslayer Registered Senior Member

from what I've seen, wealth seems to stabilize populations... people tend to breed when they're poor and afraid.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

And they tend to become brainwashed and lazy when they are wealthy.....

16. suzukisfrog Registered Senior Member

being an american i think we should confiscate all the oil in the middle east. also, any kids in the 3rd world who are hungry will be adopted by catholics. life sentences for all criminals should be served on antarctica. death sentences should be executed immediately, by hanging.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

18. suzukisfrog Registered Senior Member

U S A U S A U S A

19. Karmashock The Doomslayer Registered Senior Member

you're just being rude. Wealth does stabilize populations.

20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

It depends on how the wealth is distributed and what it is spent on. For example, you can argue that the UK population is getting too used to the easy life, given the lack of peopel joining the army, the booming sales of things to make your life easier, etc. But yet people are obviously so stabilised, they dont want to have children. Its better to spend the money on themselves. Or else millions more are putting off having a family because they cant afford it, despite the UK apperntly being wealthy and stable.

But in Saudi Arabia, much of the wealth is ocncentrated in the hands of the royal family. And the rest of the country has bred quite well the past few decades.

21. Karmashock The Doomslayer Registered Senior Member

Per capita Saudi Arabia isn't wealthy...

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Don't just repeat what others say.....

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.