Oil Reserves in the U.S. Upped

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, May 8, 2008.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And gas and oil prices have spiraled out of control.

When the Democrats took office gas was + - $ 2.00, oil was $ 70.00 a barrel,
    but then the Democrats have consciously voted, not to used our own oil resources to move the U.S. towards energy independence.

Oil prices began to decrease during September 2006, closing below US$66/barrel on September 11, 06.

And Oil Prices Skyrocket over $135.00.

And Gas prices are + - $4.00 a gallon.

PETROLEUM ($/bbl)

---------------------------PRICE*......CHANGE....% CHANGE.......TIME
    Nymex Crude Future..........128.88........1.53...........1.20............11:08
    Dated Brent Spot..............128.36........1.28...........1.01............11:39
    WTI Cushing Spot 125.72..-1.63..........-1.28.........../////............09:06

Yes, thank you Democrats for voting to stop any move to be energy independent.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes what are you going to tell your children when their life span decreases, their standard of living tanks? and they no longer have the foods to feed their families.

You have to have a viable economy to reach the future, oil is still the energy that propels our economy, there is no way to replace it today as the energy source to power our economy, or our lives, almost everything that is used in modern living, which gives us our longevity, comes from oil, the fertilizers to grow our food, the fuel to power the farm equipment to plant and harvest those crops, move those crops to market, here in America and around the world.

Yes, You want utopia today, the new energy, but show me where that new energy is?, that can replace oil today?, show me the infrastructure to deliver that energy to the economy? Show me a mature viable energy source that doesn't destroy more than it delivers as of today.

Just look at the Ethanol fiasco, skyrocketing food prices.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Show me the size of the remaining Oil reserves in the USA, the untapped ones like ANWAR, and compare it to our present and experiential demand.

Show me the quality of that remaining Oil, how energy positive we can suck/dig it up and how much we need to processes it into sweet crude and gasoline/diesel.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Now I've heard it all.

Do you know what bipartisan means?

Sell their Hummer and ride a bike?

Bwahaha. You doomers don't have any sight period.

That it was all because of biofuels.

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN26273329

8. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

It can't be shown because noone knows. Drilling is currently illegal on over 10,000 miles of US coastline.

Light-sweet crude.

Hydrocarbons are the most efficient source of energy on the Earth.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We can estimate what in those coastline with a science call geology, so what do we predict are in those coastlines?

Really? Where? how much?

Energy as in heat, electricity, by mass or volume, etc? For example Uranium ore is the most efficiently my mass.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nothing will replace it. The decline in our way of life is in-fucking-evitable.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I would not say so, perhaps there are other technologies in combination that will replace it, but we can be sure the next few years even the next few decades are going to a very bumpy ride.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think few people are aware of the scale of the problem. There are alternatives, but nothing on a viable scale that could replace oil. That points to a complete re-organization of our society. The sooner we start to prepare for this, the less bumpy the ride will be. As long as we are stuck in past patterns of action like BR, and most Republicans, we are heading towards a big shock.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm aware of the scale of it, but by your argument no preparation or alternative will allow us a better way of life.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I've got my eyes on a new Hummer. 10 miles per gallon baby! Yeeeeeehah! Hoo rah!

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That the wars, toys, and SUVs probably weren't worth it after all.

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

No, not even close.

Your understanding of the global market doesn't even do justice to a Titmouse.

Again I have found that as oil usage has went up, so has the supply.

The only thing right now interfering with the supply of oil is a shortage of drilling equipment, not only in the U.S. but across the world, the drilling rig usage is at 100%, and there are new field waiting on rigs to exploit them, over a year for most cases.

On of the problems with the short sighted energy policies in the U.S. generated by the Democrats and the Extreme Environmentalist, is that we stopped investing in new drilling rigs and platforms, and it seem that it was the U.S. who is the biggest suppler of drilling rigs and technology.

The more information that I find, the more that it becomes apparent that there is no shortage of oil, their is a shortage of coherent energy policy, and the infrastructure to exploit the oil available today.

Current information, not doom's day scenarios from the end of the 20th, century.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We need to find 3.8 million barrels a day just to make up for depletion. There are new discoveries, but even these follow a peak, a bell curve.

18. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Bull shit, everything follows a bell curve, but what does a bell curve define about the presence of OIL?

The Bell Curve is only accurate for the field that is tracks.

How many 3.8 million barrels are in 15 billion barrels?

and that is only one of the finds.

The reason that we are short 3.8 million barrels is short sighted energy policies, here and around the world.

Shortages in drilling capacity, and refining capacity, not shortage of oil, the E&P shows that, there are at least 50 fines in the billion bbl range that are waiting drilling capacity to bring them on line, Peak Oil,..........the last century
    bogy man, the Dooms Day for the world, they haven't been right for the last 5,000 years, a great track record that says they are wrong again.

Energy independence, drilling our own resources and bringing Nuclear Power on line, will get us there faster than waiting on renewable energy, and do more for our security than any thing else we can do.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The true picture is not as rosy:

Regarding the big picture, one important question revolves around how people interpret these reserves estimates. Typically, there is a knee-jerk response that greets any large discovery because many, even some who should know better, believe that reserves and production flows are somehow equivalent. That is not the case. Another important question revolves around the use of extreme production measures in "final frontier" areas like the Walker Ridge deepwater. Rather than indicating continued abundance in oil supply, such measures may be viewed more accurately as indicating the great lengths oil producers must go to in order to find more oil to meet the world's insatiable demand. The "low-hanging fruit" is gone and so is the era of the cheap oil. Ultimately, this is the meaning of the Jack-2 test well and hopes for production from the Lower Tertiary of the Gulf of Mexico.

Production from the [presumably, the entire Lower Tertiary] area could add 300,000 to 500,000 barrels of oil a day to U.S. output.

Source:

(The area is also subject to frequent hurricanes.)

20. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

From the article you quoted:

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Peak oil is real. It just happened in the great Ghawar. Unconventional and deep reserves are not the same cheap resource as were the great Mideast discoveries- not in terms of extraction, and not in terms of refining.

For USAmericans, the most critical peak of all is in hegemony. The present Bush Administration has precipitously undermined our influence in the Mideast for at least a generation, while pawning our economy. Simultaneously, the US lead in petroleum managerial, exploration and production technologies has expired. That means that as Asia booms, our Asian creditors will most likely be closing the big oil deals henceforth. The USAmerican petroleum edge has clearly peaked in terms of maintaining the artificial control and manipulation of petroleum markets, and it's a very long way down from here.

BTW if your going to cite Cambridge Energy Research Associates on this topic, it would be appropriate to include their self-promotion as the voice of the petroleum industry. Honesty isn't always the preferred policy when courting consumer confidence under conditions of diminishing supply.

Energy Bulletin: CERA’s peak oil critique has a credibility problem

22. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Real garbage.

No it didn't JUST happen. It happened in 1981: http://peakoildebunked.blogspot.com/2005/09/119-will-world-peak-when-ghawar-peaks.html

The Ghawar Field is abiotic and infinite which is why Saudi reserves always stay the same or go up even though they pump 10 mbpd.

http://www.offshore-mag.com/display...e-Middle-East-fields-may-produce-oil-forever/

I'll give you a clue. It starts with M and ends with antle.

23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"The Ghawar Field is abiotic and infinite"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!