On atheist/agnostic funerals

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Magical Realist, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What kind of funeral does an atheist or agnostic have? What words of comfort can be spoken over the body of one who believed in no soul or afterlife, who braved the adversities of life on their own and resisted falling back on the quaint delusions of religion, who took no comfort in an invisible magical companion who constantly ministered to their every need? What magic will be invoked by this ritual of flowers, music, homilies, and permanent underground internment? Should an atheist opt out of funerals altogether in order to remain true to his own principles?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

Yea just cremate the sucker the cremation is his hell.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Funerals aren't for the dead; they are for the living.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

None!

The family/friends may have a funeral for the deceased atheist/agnostic but owing to the said atheist's/agnostic's beliefs, the aforementioned atheist/agnostic will probably not, in reality, be in attendance. The deceased corpse, however may be the center of attention!

Magical Realist, you must realize that funerals and all the trappings of such that you mentioned ^^above^^ are for the benefit of the living - not the deceased.

Although I am not an atheist or an agnostic, I have requested of my family and friends NOT to have a Service or Funeral - but to instead throw a Party to celebrate the completion of my current "Cycle of Life".

8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I agree with that last sentence's sentiment. I don't want my funeral to be a drab, dreary, depressing affair. I want games in my honour, and merriment in my memory. Most of all, I want to be cremated on a pyre--which can be done in certain jurisdictions--with rites in the ancient Greek style and manner.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I'd like for my friends and family to gather, have a party, play records from my vinyl collection and drink all the liquor in my liquor cabinet. Especially the good scotch.

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

At a friends funeral at a funeral home many of us took turns telling everyone gathered what he meant to us. We celebrated his life then he was cremated.

11. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Nice.

Grief is always for the mourner's loss.

12. Bells Staff Member

My ex husband's aunt's funeral was like that.

At a funeral home, with flowers and music that represented who she was and her friends and family telling stories about how they had gotten to know her, etc. Was probably the most moving funeral I had ever been to. Cried like a baby.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

Ill certainly try to opt outta my funeral by living forever..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

"The idea is to die young as late as possible."
    - Ashley Montagu

15. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Another way of saying, its better to burn out than fade away.

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I'm in the "agnostic" group and probably will be cremated as I can't prevent that but my wish is, if not far too from the ocean, is not to be embalmed but to have two bricks or cinder blocks tied to my feet and ASAP after death, be dumped overboard in sea at least 100 meters deep. - I've eaten a lot of fish / crabs, etc. and now it is their turn, is my POV.

17. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

As an atheist, I believe that death is an absolute end & do not care what is done with my body when I die.

Why should anyone care? Even theists who believe in a soul should not care.

The money, time, & resources used for funerals, grave stones, et cetera seem wasted to me.

18. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart.

19. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

“ ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ”

20. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Mod note

These quotes lack attribution, and replying with only quotes (especially from religious texts) could be construed as preaching, per SciForums guideline I-28.

21. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

:itold:
    ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’

22. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Mod note

Warning issued for continued preaching (posting religious text in lieu of discussion).

23. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Oh, ok... Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup: