On Chivalry and Sexual Violence

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Tiassa, Jan 9, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Amen to that. I believe that abusers suffer from something going on inside of them, thus they hurt others. This is why I take issue with it’s society’s fault or some other external factor as to why people abuse others, is not really going to get abusers to see who they are and work to change. My opinion, abusers rarely change. It’s not impossible but most abusers, especially spousal and child abusers, are narcissistic and those types struggle when it comes to self reflection and actualization.

It’s kind of a cop out to suggest that because society “is on the verge of a nervous breakdown” (whatever that even means), we have abusers. Just my opinion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yeah. I think that society plays some role in enabling abusers, and we could do a better job at identifying them earlier and providing strong disincentives - but even in a perfect society we'd see them. A great many of them are born, not made by society.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's nice and refreshing.
    It appears to many that you are talking about all men, yes.
    And no, I'm not defending myself. I have nothing to defend and simply putting an increasing view by both sexes.
    https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/has-metoo-has-gone-too-far-20180116-h0ivul.html

her's another...
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/13/has-me-too-catherine-deneuve-laura-kipnis
    “If the question is whether #MeToo has gone too far or not far enough, the answer is obviously BOTH. "
    That second article seems reasonably balanced and I have no real argument with it

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

And yet you do it so very often . . . . strange.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As I have already informed you, I can only relate personal experiences in making a point. None of them involve sexual assault.

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So, sexual assault is not something that you could empathize with.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Is that just a smart arse question? I believe I have made that clear in many posts.

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Guess I'm correct.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Derailing discussions? I see many posts in this thread that could also be accused of derailing considering the thread title is "
    "On Chivalry and Sexual Violence"
    depending of course in how much of a hard line view one takes.
    Again, to make my point, I have given a few examples of false accusations. Do you see this as simply collateral damage with regards to pushing a cause?
    Here's another I accidently came across.....
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...elf-after-being-accused-of-rape-a6676611.html

"A teenager killed himself after being accused of rape in an allegation that was withdrawn before it came to court, an inquest has heard."
    Do you simply see this as a derailment tactic?
    Let me again make myself clear Bells. The murderous arsehole who burnt his wife and kids is not worth considering, and personally I don't give a stuff about his state of mind. The same applies to the crazy Mother who drove her kids into a Dam.
    I see nothing wrong in highlighting the two sides of a horrible coin. I don't see that as derailing the just woman's movement for equal rights in all respects.
    Then you say
    OK, do you have a story involving homosexuals and/or lesbians?
    I can't say I have seen too many of later, but I am sure my opinion would not alter and dependent on the facts only.
    The author is giving an opinion, one that I believe not to be entirely valid. The women's movement does not need that sort of extremism in my opinion.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Understood.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

OK. You agree that society plays a part in enabling abusers (how big a part?)
    but you don't agree that society plays a part in producing abusers.
    Would you come as far as agreeing that culture factors into bullying in general?
    What about the laws and morality of a country? I mean, would you agree that a country where one groups has significantly ,ore rights than another group is likely to raise more people who feel entitled to oppress other people?
    Or that the examples set for children by the adults around them influence their behaviour?
    When? How?
    What is your source for this? What genetic factor(s) are involved?
    If this is true, it's a very big deal! It means that, as with autism or sexual orientation, the subject is not responsible, can't change and that disincentives or punishment are ineffective.
    How, then, can they be stopped, other than early identification and life-long imprisonment?
    What percent of this 'epidemic' is completely unpreventable? I mean, one in three???

15. Bells Staff Member

And the derailment continues.

1 in 5 women will be raped and/or sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

And when discussion around sexual violence is brought up, you and your #NotAllMen views always trot out the false accusation argument.. Something that is so rare, that its usage has been repeatedly found to not only derail the subject of rape, but also to silence women. It is insidious and frankly, pathetic and it again outs you in a way that you do not want to be outed.

And do you want to know why it is insidious?

Because you perpetrate a myth. False rape accusations are exceptionally rare. Frankly, your argument is tantamount to anti-vaxxers who take a few instances of people having a bad reaction to vaccines and going on and on about how vaccines cause autism, an argument that actively puts people's lives at risk. So too does your #NotAllMen and false accusation rebuttals that you resort to each and every single time you partake in these discussions. For someone who supposedly embraces science, you peddle woo:

It’s difficult to determine exactly how many men have been falsely accused, but extrapolating from the number of men in America and the percentage of false reports (even using the highest estimates), it’s likely that fewer than 0.005 percent of American men are falsely accused each year.

Being falsely accused of a crime is, of course, very serious. But far from being some sort of epidemic requiring a campaign of self-protection, being falsely accused of sexual assault is very, very uncommon for American men. It’s far more common for men to be sexually assaulted.

According to CDC data gathered between 2010 and 2012, one in three women and one in six men have experienced some form of sexual violence involving physical contact. And a survey conducted earlier this year by the group Stop Street Harassment found that 81 percent of women and 43 percent of men had been harassed or assaulted at some point in their lives.

Sexual misconduct against men is probably underreported, Stewart told Vox. Male survivors of what others might see as sexual assault might describe the experience as hazing, physical abuse, or humiliation, Stewart said, and “if they talk to someone who says ‘it was abuse, it was rape,’ many men will psychologically go into hiding.”

American conceptions of sex, assault, and masculinity can make it harder for male survivors to come forward or even acknowledge their experiences to themselves, Stewart said. While women are often blamed for being sexually assaulted, they said, “for men, as opposed to saying, ‘it was your fault,’ the saying is, ‘it didn’t happen.’”

Men are assumed to always want sex: “if a boy has sex with a much older woman he’s somehow gotten lucky or scored,” Stewart said. This leaves men with unwanted sexual experiences feeling ignored or disbelieved. Men are also expected to be independent, in control, and powerful, which can make it hard for them to admit to an experience they didn’t want. And there’s a lack of public understanding that men’s bodies can respond to sexual contact even if that contact is unwelcome, Stewart said.

The #MeToo movement has actually inspired many male survivors to seek help. Traffic to the 1in6 website skyrocketed in 2017 as the movement grew, Stewart said. The group also saw an uptick in requests for services in the wake of Ford’s testimony.

“This is why we are so thankful, and I think many male survivors are so thankful, for things like #MeToo, for the courage of someone like Dr. Ford,” Stewart said. “It inspires survivors across all groups.”

Using #HimToo to focus on false allegations against men, meanwhile, can discourage all survivors from coming forward, they explained: “Seeing #HimToo used to support a man who has been accused of sexual abuse or assault explicitly casts doubt on a survivor’s story, thus enforcing secrecy over disclosure for male and female survivors alike.” And by dividing the conversation on the basis of gender, the hashtag “surely causes some male-identifying survivors to feel invisible in the conversation — the very thing #HimToo was seeking to ameliorate.”

Stop peddling woo and stop spreading what is tantamount to a myth. Because it is exceptionally rare. Your continued use of it literally detracts and silences victims and given how many times this has been pointed out to you, your continued use of these tactics can only be deemed to be a deliberate attempt to silence and diminish these crimes.

You brought up two completely different issues into a thread that was discussing something else entirely. A mentally disturbed woman driving her SUV laden with her children into a lake has nothing to do with sexual violence. Just as a domestic violence abuser setting his wife and kids on fire has nothing to do with sexual violence.

You were off topic, wrong, and you did it repeatedly to derail the thread. You literally peddle woo.

Stop doing it.

Discussions about sexual violence encompass all victims of sexual violence. You assume we mean just female victims.

And you take it and run, you start peddling woo, you start changing the subject because #NotAllMen and then you start saying how good of a man you are.. You do it each time..

You really need to stop doing this.

You are not giving two sides of a coin. You are derailing threads and you effectively become a woo peddling troll.

Hey look, more sexism.. How strange and unusual from the man who twists himself into a pretzel to derail every thread he can when the subject matter is sexual violence, sexual harassment, etc..

Just stop.

You are not the only man who pulls this shit online, nor will you be the last.

This thread is not about false rape accusations, just as it is not about women or men murdering their children. Nor is it about you and whatever proclivities you have when it comes to your interactions with women.

Enough is enough.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Hi Tiassa: Not often we have crossed swords on this forum, but be that as it may, I just left my local club at Bondi Junction, and was waiting at a crossing for the green walk sign. Once it started flashing I dashed across in my usual haste and happened to look back to see a mid to late 60ish something woman, making her way slowly...she had just about entered the middle of the road and the "dont walk" started flashing as a warning for no more to cross. It was obvious this stressed her out as she attempted to hurry with obvious difficulty, when two young blokes around 25ish, grabbed her either side and proceeded to help her complete the crossing. She barely had time to thank them when reaching the footpath when the two lads made their way back to the other side. So still some courtesy and respect left even with the younger brigade. Great to see and if I wasn't in any hurry to get back home, I would've followed them into the club and bought them a schooner each.
    Obviously they, both of them were raised and taught well about respect, care and courtesy
    Still some hope!

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Society plays a part in both. Popular media glorifies violence against women; ad campaigns send messages of "be passive and let him come to you" and "present yourself so as to attract men."
    Of course.
    To which part? Identifying them early? Look for behavior that looks like it will lead to rape (the Kavanaugh case is a good example) and intervene early and strongly.
    Several sources. James Cantor identified brain structure differences in pedophiles that seem to separate them from non-pedophiles. "All the evidence suggests that paedophilia begins in the womb. A person does not pick it. And despite every kind of treatment that has been attempted over a century, nothing has been shown to be able to change these people from paedophiles into non-paedophiles."

An Oxford/Karolinska study found that genetic factors are associated with a higher risk of sexual abuse. They found "high quality evidence from a large population study that genetic factors have a substantial influence on an increased risk of being convicted of sexual offences."
    I don't think that's true at all. Men also have a genetic predisposition to have sex with women, but they do NOT have a genetic predisposition to ask for consent. But most men manage pretty well even though they have evolved a sex drive that pushes them to have sex.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Having gone to a Catholic school for all my schooling up to seondary Intermediate cert, I remember a little book we had entitled Christian Politeness, although obviously it was simply politeness based on normal everyday respect and what you would be expected to be treated like by others. Three of the 30? I think points I remember were always give up your seat to a Lady and the elderly on public transport, Don't antagonize or bully anyone else or anyone less fortunate then yourself, and finally the one point I could never get my laughing gear around and failed to make any sense to me,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

was always leave the table after a meal, feeling as if you could eat a little bit more.
    The first two I remember, certainly still or should hold today.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Again in line with the title of the thread.....
    https://twentytwowords.com/man-refuses-to-give-up-seat-to-women-because-they-never-do-the-same/
    "While traveling on any kind of public transport, it's sort of a given that, if an elderly person or someone with a health issue comes along, you should give up your seat for them. But, should men give up their seats for women?

In the age of feminism, many argue that the age-old idea of "chivalry" has now become more confusing than ever, with men feeling like they don't know whether they can "be the gentleman" by opening doors or offering help to women.

Well, during a national television debate surrounding feminism and chivalry, one man came out and said that he would rather not give up his seat for a woman on public transport because women "never do the same" in return.

The debate was sparked by a tweet posted by American feminist writer, Caroline Rothstein, who refused to let a man help her with her luggage - and the issue has since spread like wildfire.

With so many varying opinions, the debate has become pretty complex, so keep scrolling to unravel this issue and see whose side you're on."
    Whose side you're on??? Laughable!!
    extract:
    "In her piece for Medium, she wrote: “His refusal to enter simply because a woman opened the door was chauvinism at its finest. I had been polite, and he could not accept that courtesy because of an outdated sense of men’s roles.

“Had he arrived at the door first, I would have happily walked through it with a smile and simple thank you.”

Like, c’ mon, politeness is politeness, it seems pretty far fetched to be taking chauvinism so seriously that you won’t even walk through a door because a member of the opposite sex has held it open for you."
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Ahh yes, extremism again, and inane stupidity and yes this time, male chauvinism at its best.

20. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

OK. What part? Yes, media, particularly entertainments with a heavy content of violence, misogyny and sadism.
    Any recommendations regarding that?

Good. So that's another factor we could address through legislation, education and social agencies.

And, again: When? Age 18? 15? 12? 7? Who is qualified to spot the signs? Who is present to do the identifying?
    If you're looking for signs of sexual predation, you'll twig too late. The abuser was already a nasty little boy before his testicles descended.
    And again, How? Who intervenes, by what means, at which point? What does the intervener actually do? What's the intervener's mandate over the long term?
    I didn't think they were in this discussion. I thought it was about battering adult women.
    But not all persons sexually attracted to children act on their desire. Something can be done to help a paedophile control/sublimate/suppress his urges before someone gets hurt.
    my bold
    Here, again, we have the " potential" gap: there is a decision between urge and act.
    Increased risk is not a destiny; it simply means everyone is on a scale of 0%-100% probability of doing something. From 11% to 12% is increased risk, and so is 11% to 87%. And even 87% is not yet a certainty. In those gaps, environment, social mores and education can make the difference between happy marriage and burning house.
    Eureka!!
    Every man is a potential abuser. Yet, 60% do not fulfill that potential.
    Equally, every man is a potential gentleman. Yet 30% do not fulfill that potential.
    Factors in the environment - other people - encourage one kind of behaviour or another kind of behaviour.
    Society has a big, important, decisive part in how the statistics go.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm somewhat surprised that paddoboy wants to get in the midst of this kind of discussion again, after coming so close to being permanently banned the last time.

paddoboy: is it really necessary for you to keep tell us all what a chivalrous and non-sexist guy you are, while you keep giving example after example of your behaviours which, at the very least, make women uncomfortable?

Why don't you just listen to the women for a while rather than making it all about you every time?

22. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Well, how?

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

A shame James that moderators and administrators cannot also be permanently banned James, because all that happened was that I gave as good as I got, after being labelled unjustly. I'm also rather surprised you would raise that issue considering our lengthy PM exchange. But hey, we are of topic are we not?
    Have you read all my posts James? Sure some examples are of my own respectful behaviour. Others are not. What do you really object to James?
    It's not about me James. It's simply about a general feeling that does appear to be getting bigger and bigger in society, with the view that many men and women are seeing an excessive, over the top movement in the feminist cause.
    That isn't doing them any good.
    That's my opinion James and based on standards that are universally accepted today. When those standards change to what you and some others may perceive, that they should be [I don't believe that will happen by the way] then perhaps I'll start rethinking my position.
    I'm a decent law abiding human being James, respectful of other men and women, just as I assume you are. Don't call me a rapist, or infer that I'm a rapist, or sexual assaulter, and my posts will remain respectful.