On Propaganda Threads

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Rappaccini, May 16, 2004.

?

Are you for or against?

1. for

45.5%
  2. against

54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

HEY! READ THIS BEFORE YOU VOTE!

Is it in keeping with netiquette to begin a thread with another's article and without personal commentary?

Is it in keeping with sciforums spirit to permit such threads?

I am not sure, yet such are many threads in the Religion Subforum, including this and this and this and this.

To me at least, these threads, totally devoid of contribution by their starter, smack of propaganda.

The person posting them, for the most part, is irrelevant.

James R has, I believe, started a poll pertaining to and proposing stricter moderation within the Religion Subforum.
    Potentially, reform like this could rid us of insipid, wasteful threads like those presented.

The current rules of sciforums can be read here, here, or here, second of which is for the Religion Subforum.

In my opinion, those rules should include committment or qualification of the issue by the starter as an explicit requirement to any thread.

I for one am tired of entering a thread only to be linked to the works of another and given no information on the position of the person who actually began the thread.

Are you, as a user, also tired of this?
    Are you supportive of measures, changes to the rules of sciforums as a whole, which would disallow threads of this nature?

Are you for such measures or against them?

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We now have a sub-forum for sewage trash, new rules are not needed as any thread of that nature will end up in the cesspool.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

There's nothing about these threads that is currently against the rules.
    So, no, they shouldn't end up in the trash unless that is changed.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

You make an excellent point rapp...

To be honest, when I first read the title of this thread I thought to myself, 'oh great, another propagandist who'll contradict themselves' but I was wrong.

You got my vote - be gone with propoganda, carefully of course.

EDIT: The second link you provided as evidence, in defence of proud..., did have a point in the third post - a position and question is provided, in a round about way.

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Rappaccini,

and what threads are you talking about?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The first thing to do is to let those topics pass, then.

Obviously, we can't always account for people who choose to comment on them.

To the other, often the result is that without some guidepost, the topic just becomes a breeding ground for flames.

It is helpful to include some comment. Doing so also earns you a certain leeway. After a while, if I post a quote with the comment, "I don't know where to begin," or even, "Further commentary would be extraneous," now and then, nobody seems to complain about the lack of comment.

However, it has long been expressed in the rules that such stand-alone posts are discouraged. Like vulgar language, however, there is a force of posters' will to contend with. If the mods don't find the topic before other people chime in, the discussion is afoot. We even had a minor discord along those lines last week.

Also: Informational topics are fine. I ridiculed potentially-stupid people who haven't yet shown them to exist in order to warrant a post about a product recall ... I'm not sure anything I wrote aside from posting the topic link was helpful or useful, so there's a consideration to be had there. Which brings us back to the relationship between information, purpose, and propaganda.

What a neat little package.

10. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Read my post.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

ah crap man i think i voted wrong.

i don't think proud muslim is necessarily a problem. it's just his behavior.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Dang it.

The way I did the title and poll, I think many people are going to vote incorrectly.

*dusts off hands*

There! That ought to do it!

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I did not vote yet.

15. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Wait a minute... the poll is asking if we are "for or against" propaganda polls right?

I'm starting to think its are we "for or against" stricter rules... if the latter is the case, I voted wrong.

I'm an Anthropology/Archaeology major, so I'm always interested in religion as a topic, but every time I go there, I just get annoyed at members like ProudMuslim and realize that the Pseudoscience kooks are more fun to argue with... they aren't blowing up and beheading anybody. Yet.

Still, I'd like to get involved in more religion discussions, since its one of the areas of anthropology that fascinate me, so I'll give the Religion Forum another shot. I agree that it would be more enjoyable without fanatical propagandists, however.

16. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Yes, you did.

I guess I'll make the text bigger.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

ah No, no I did not.

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Ah... I see what I did. I read the initial post. Then read the remaining posts before going back to the poll. By the time I got back there, the only guide I had was the thread title and poll title. I should have referred back to your initial post... sorry.

19. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

I was talking to Skinwalker.

Skinwalker, no problem.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Can't a moderator make the poll options a bit more clear?

I'm against propaganda threads but still not sure which option to pick in the poll...

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

But I did edit my version of the site rules:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=549516#post549516

I just edited it again today to correct spelling, but that passage has been there for about a month.

22. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Howzbout a do-over with a more clearly worded poll?

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yes please...that would be nice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.