On Vector Subspaces

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Anamitra Palit, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Anamitra Palit Registered Senior Member

We consider a linear vector space V of dimension n. W is a proper subspace of V.We take a vector 'e' belonging to V-W and N vectors y_i belonging to W;i=1,2,3…N;N>>n the dimension of V. All y_i cannot obviously be independent the number N being greater than the dimension of V the parent vector space; k of the y_i vectors are considered to be linearly independent where k is the dimension of W. The rest of the y_i are linear combinations of these k, basic y_i vectors of W.
    We consider sums
    \[\alpha_i=e+y_i;i=1,2…N\] (1)
    Now each alpha_i=e+y_i belongs to V-W. We prove it as follows
    If possible let alpha_i belong to W. We have
    \[e=\alpha_i-y_i=\alpha_i+(-y_i)\](2)
    Both alpha_i and -y_i belong to W. Therefore their sum ‘e’ should belong to W . This contradicts our postulate that e belongs to V-W. Therefore each alpha_i belongs to V-W.
    Next we consider the equation
    \[\Sigma_i \left(c_i \alpha_i\right)=0\] (3)
    \[\Rightarrow \Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N} \left(c_i\left(e+y_i\right)\right)=0\]
    \[\Rightarrow e\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=-\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i y_i\] (4)
    The right side of (4) belongs to W while the left side belongs to V-W. If the left side belonged to W them (1/Sigma c_i)(Sigma c_i)e=e would belong to W which is not the case. |The right side being a linear combination of vectors from W belongs to W.The only solution to avoid this predicament would be to assume Sigma c_i on the left side of (4) to be zero: that each side of (4) represents the null vector. We cannot have all c_i=0 [individually]in an exclusive manner since that would make the space N dimensional , in view of (3), [N is much greater than n, the dimension of the parent vector space V].
    Equations
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=0\] (3.1)
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i=0\] (3.2)
    From (3.1)
    \[c_N=-c_1-c_2-c_3…..-c_{N-1}\] (4)
    Considering (3.2) with (4) we have,
    \[y_N=\frac{c_1}{c_1+c_2+c_3…..+c_{N-1} }y_1+\frac{c_2}{c_1+c_2+c_3…..+c_{N-1}} y_2\\+…..+\frac{c_{N-1}}{c_1+c_2+c_3…..+c_{N-1}} y_{N-1}\] (5.1)
    \[y_N=a_1y_1+a_2y_2+……a_{N -1}y_{N-1}\](5.2)
    Where,
    \[a_i=\frac{c_i}{c_1+c_2+…+c_{N-1}}\] (5.3)
    From (5.3) we have the identity
    \[a_1+a_2+…+a_{N-1}=1\](6)
    But the N(>>N) vectors were chosen arbitrarily. Equation (5.2) should not come under the constraint of equation (6).We could have chosen y_N in the form of (5.2) in a manner that (6) is violated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

You need an introduction to tell us what you are trying to show.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anamitra Palit Registered Senior Member

The topic has been reposted with a brief introduction, with typo corrections on the last post and with additional material in order to induce a greater amount of clarity for the reader.

The aim of this writing is to project a logical difficulty with the Linear Vector Spaces. We apply the concept of subspaces to validate our point.We have considered a vector space V and a proper subspace W [of V]followed by some simple mathematics to illustrate the intended fact

We consider a linear vector space V of dimension n. W is a proper subspace of V.We take a vector 'e' belonging to V-W and N vectors y_i belonging to W;i=1,2,3…N;N>>n ,the dimension of V. All y_i cannot obviously be independent, the number N being greater than the dimension of V ,the dimension of the parent vector space; k of the y_i vectors are considered to be linearly independent where k is the dimension of W. They comprise a basic set in W.The rest of the y_i are linear combinations of these k, basic vectors of W.
    We consider sums
    \[\alpha_i=e+y_i;i=1,2…N\] (1)
    Now each alpha_i=e+y_i belongs to V-W. We prove it as follows
    If possible let alpha_i belong to W. We have
    \[e=\alpha_i-y_i=\alpha_i+(-y_i)\](2)
    Both alpha_i and -y_i belong to W. Therefore their sum ‘e’ should belong to W . This contradicts our postulate that e belongs to V-W. Therefore each alpha_i belongs to V-W.
    Next we consider the equation
    \[\Sigma_i \left(c_i \alpha_i\right)=0\] (3)
    \[\Rightarrow \Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N} \left(c_i\left(e+y_i\right)\right)=0\]
    \[\Rightarrow e\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=-\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i y_i\] (4)
    The right side of (4) belongs to W while the left side belongs to V-W. If the left side belonged to W them (1/Sigma c_i)(Sigma c_i)e=e would belong to W which is not the case. |The right side being a linear combination of vectors from W belongs to W.The only solution to avoid this predicament would be to assume Sigma c_i on the left side of (4) to be zero: that each side of (4) represents the null vector. We cannot have all c_i=0 [individually]in an exclusive manner since that would make the space N dimensional , in view of (3).But N is much greater than n, the dimension of the parent vector space V.
    Equations
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=0\] (5.1)
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i=0\] (5.2)
    From (5.1)
    \[c_N=-c_1-c_2-c_3…..-c_{N-1}\] (6)
    Considering (3.2) with (4) we have,
    \[y_N=\frac{c_1}{c_1+c_2+c_3…..+c_{N-1} }y_1+\frac{c_2}{c_1+c_2+c_3…..+c_{N-1}} y_2\\+…..+\frac{c_{N-1}}{c_1+c_2+c_3…..+c_{N-1}} y_{N-1}\] (7.1)
    \[y_N=a_1y_1+a_2y_2+……a_{N -1}y_{N-1}\](7.2)
    Where,
    \[a_i=\frac{c_i}{c_1+c_2+…+c_{N-1}}\] (7.3)
    From (7.3) we have the identity
    \[a_1+a_2+…+a_{N-1}=1\](8)
    If all c_i are not non zero we have
    \[y_N’=A_1y_1+ A_2y_2+……… A_{N’-1}y_{N’-1}\](9.1)
    \[A_1+A_2+….+A_{N’-1}=1\](9.2)
    N’<N
    Both (8) and (9.2) require
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=0\]that is they require (5.1) for their formulation from (5.2) recalled below:
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i=0\]
    Failure of (5.1) would lead to the failure of (8) or of (9.2) accordingly as all c_i are non zero or not respectively.We recall (4)
    \[e\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i =\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i\]
    It is an equation and not an identity.It is possible to have (5.2) with a failure of (5.1). As mentioned earlier failure of (5.1) would lead to the failure of (8) or of (9.2) accordingly as all c_i are non zero or not respectively.
    We may choose {y_i;i=1,2,…N} so that (5.2) holds with a failure of (5.1).Neither (8) nor (9.2) would materialize due to the failure of (5.1).Now with the same {y_i;i=1,2,…N} we formulate (1),(2)……..(6),....(8),(9.2). Considering the validity of both (5.1) and (5.2) in order to account for (4) )we finally arrive at (8)or at (9.2) accordingly as all c_i are non zero or not.
    Thus (8) or (9.2) will materialize projecting a contradiction: we expected them not to materialize due to the failure of (5.1) considered at the outset.
    We take a concrete example:
    V is a six dimensional vector space while W is a three dimensional subspace belonging to V.The last three coordinates of a vector in W are zero:for the vector w belonging to W we have,w=column(a b c 0 0 0); for e belonging to V-W, e=column(p q r s t u) s, t and u are not simultaneously zero.We consider N vectors {y_i;i=1,2…N}in W that form a closed N-sided polygon[vectors y_i represent the sides of the n-sided polygon[which may not be regular] taken in order]
    We have for the closed polygon
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}y_i=0\](10.1)
    \[\Rightarrow \Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i=0;c_i=1;i=1,2..N\](10.2)
    We have
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=N\ne 0\](10.3)
    Equation (10.3) leads to the failure of (5.1) and hence to the failure of (6) or of (7.2)
    With each of the y_i,i=1,2…N we formulate (1),(2) ,(3) and the other equations , arriving at (4). To justify (4) we arrive at the validity of both (5.1) and of (5.2):equations (8) and (9.2) are now successful raising a contradiction.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

You know, Amanitra, that if you start from a wrong premise, then it is no surprise your conclusion is contradictory.

Look - you tell us that \(W \subsetneq V\). You claim that \(e \in V-W\) and \(y \in W\).

But since \(W\cap (V-W)= \emptyset\), the sum \(e+y\) makes no sense.

I couldn't bothered to read further,

8. Anamitra Palit Registered Senior Member

\[e\in V-W \Rightarrow e\in V\]
    Since \[W\subset V\]
    we have
    \[y_i\in W \Rightarrow y_i \in V\]

Both e and y_i are elements of V
    \[\Rightarrow e+y_i \in V\]
    In fact it has been clearly proved[as an extra bit] in my last post that
    \[\alpha_i=e+y_i \in V-W\]
    That
    \[W\cap \left(V-W\right)=\phi\] should not delude us from the fact that both W and V-W are proper subsets of V and hence elements from these subsets can undergo the operation of vector addition[since they are the elements of V itself]. The subsets W and V-W were considered only to decide on the choice of y_i and of e:y_i coming from [belonging to] W and e belonging to V-W.

QuarkHead is expected to review and revise his thoughts in the view of the current post .

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  9. Anamitra Palit Registered Senior Member

(in continuation)
    The subspace W and the subset V-W were considered in deciding on the choice of y_i and of 'e' respectively[as stated earlier(last post)].
    They were also considered in analyzing equation (4) of my second last post:

\[ e\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i=-\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_i y_i\]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  10. Anamitra Palit Registered Senior Member

Clarification
    For the fixed set of vectors
    \[y_i;i=1,2,3....N>>n\]
    we test the simultaneous validity of
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i=0\](1)
    and of
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}d_iy_i=0\] (2)
    [Some c_i and/or d_i may be zero ;all of then are not zero]
    We have,
    \[m\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}c_iy_i=0 \Rightarrow \Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}m c_iy_i=0\](3)
    \[n\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}d_iy_i=0 \Rightarrow \Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}n d_iy_i=0\](4)
    [m and n are arbitrary constants]
    |Adding (3) and (4) we have,
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{i=N}\left(mc_i+nd_i\right)y_i=0\](5)
    \[\Rightarrow\Sigma_{i=1}^{N}A_iy_i=0;A_i=mc_i+nd_i\](6)
    Since m and n are arbitrary constants A_i is arbitrary and equation (6)[or equation (5) for matter ]are invalid equations. Therefore (1) and (2) cannot hold simultaneously unless for non zero constants c_i and d_i we have
    \[c_i=k d_i\]
    [k : constant]that is unless we consider two closed polygons with the corresponding sides as parallel. ]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  11. Anamitra Palit Registered Senior Member

(in continuation )When we say
    \[A_i=mc_i+nd_i\] are arbitrary it is meant that by applying several values of 'm' and 'n' more than N[in fact far more than N] independent homogeneous vector equations of the type (5) or (6) of the last post[re written below] may be obtained,
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{N}\left(mc_i+nd_i\right)y_i=0;i=1,2...N\]
    \[\Sigma_{i=1}^{N}A_iy_i=0;i=1,2...N\]
    For more than N equations of the above type we have y_i=0 which is not true. Therefore equations (1) and (2) of the last post cannot be simultaneously valid.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  12. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

nevermind, posted in error.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021