One way ticket to Mars?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cosmictraveler, Oct 28, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Agreed, but I'd say at least 3 months worth of real water will be available to whoever goes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

why not send robots, to preaper water, and other things, like energy, then send humans later, and maybe wait little bit more?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Its a lot more complicated than that.

First off, the processing center would easily be the largest unmanned...thing to be landed on mars.

What happens when servo 'x' that is a few grams in size inside some obscure little robotic arm malfunctions and does not work?

Who repairs it?

colonization is completely idiotic.

Especially the arguement to colonize mars or the moon to reduce the population on earth. In order for it to work you'd need to send 500 million to 1 billion people to the moon/mars. How do you expect to move that many people?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I think it's an interesting idea.

As Fed pointed out, using this to deal with population problems is unrealistic(at least for now), but it might be a great oppurtunity for research and in the future, exploration.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Forget the "To reduce the population" argument, and consider the fact that eventually those supermarkets you forage around will one day start having less and less in stock as the numbers of people becomes as large (if not larger) than available food source's.

If the planet is taxed then the smallest upset (strikes, Tsunami's, Hurricanes, Droughts) are enough to potentially force mass food shortages. Potential starvation is actually more of a concern in regards to the population. Some might state starvation is the best answer to over population, however if Mar's was colonised and farms were growing food sources, when it looks like there is going to be a food shortage it would be possible to send some in advance.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

I don't think you'd get in your automobile if the chance of it killing you were anywhere near the same as riding on a rocket.

What you consider 'reasonable', and what someone with 'the right stuff' do, vary. And by quite a few orders of magnitude.

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I suppose that by 'kilometer per accident' which is a common way to rate accident potential rocketry would probably be the safest way to travel.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And now, I am going to post a really long message. After getting into several dozen threads debating the merits of colonization of the moon/mars/asteroid I just copied and pasted many of my points into one very long passage. For the sole point that I don't have to rewrite it every time.

But there are a few points in it that are answers to questions that you guys haven't brought up but were brought up in other forums I wrote it for.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A couple of you who are posting on this thread do not keep up with what's going on around you. The second derivative of population went negative about twenty years ago. It's predicted that the population will peak, while still being expressed in ten digits, by the end of this century. Then it will begin to decrease. The most effective contraceptive has proven to be prosperity. People in a successful economy don't need to have twelve children to make sure someone will be there to take over their business, or to take care of them in their old age. And people with leisure time, education and disposable income find other things to do than stay home and raise children.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

You what? It's 250,000 miles to the Moon, and what, two crews orbited, so six guys, 12 have walked on it, with one remaining in orbit each time, so another 6, plus Apollo 13, another three in Orbit, unintentionally. 27 guys travelled half a million miles. Then we have missions to orbit, ~500 people to what, 220miles, so 13,610,000 miles, ish, total.

There were 21million VW Beetles manufactured. If each one was driven only a mile, it would be more miles than manned rocketry had managed. How many of those do you expect to die?