Ontario's ban on junk food?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by eddymrsci, Oct 22, 2004.

1. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

yeah I think most of you in Canada who watch the news has already heard about the banning of all junk food (candy bars, soft drink, potato chips, etc) in all elementary schools, and they are projecting to do the same to high schools (butmany officials object).

So what do you think? should we blame the rising obesity in Canada entirely and solely on junk food?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hideki Matsumoto ñ{ìñÇÃóùâ?ÇÕêSÇÃíÜÇ©ÇÁóàÇ ÈÅB Registered Senior Member

It is a good idea!!
    I personally would like to see the Japanese school diet introduced here!!
    Pepsi and Coke and so on can take a hike from the schools. GREAT IDEA!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arditezza Banned Banned

I think that there is a very fine line that the government should draw about how parents raise children. It is not the governments job to tell parents how to feed their children. They need to focus on bigger things... like say... education maybe? They should focus on decreasing the rising dropout rate in Ontario.

What a waste of tax payer money on a trivial thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

But if you have a healthcare plan that covers illnesses associated with obesity then everyone’s premiums go up. America just acknowledged obesity as a disease, so maybe we will start to do the same.

It is the same question as drugs: at what point does the government have the right to tell people how to live? People, in general, are stupid and need guidance. I think that they should ban junk food in schools.

8. Arditezza Banned Banned

Canada has a public healthcare system. Premiums don't go up, taxes do.

However, do you believe it's okay for the government to tell you what books you are allowed to give your children to read? How about what TV shows and movies you allow your children to watch? Should the government be responsible for how you raise your child, or should you as a parent?

I agree people are stupid, but people should also be given the right to make their own mistakes.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

They can do whatever they want out of school, but as long as they are in school they should not eat junk food so much. My high school had a lot of over weight people; they ate pizza covered with ranch dressing for lunch nearly every day.

Do you think all drugs should be legal? Crack? H? You have to draw the line somewhere.

10. Arditezza Banned Banned

Yes, I do think all drugs should be legal. If they want to be stupid enough to kill themselves on drugs, then it's one less person on welfare and unemployment clogging up our tax system with laziness and stupidity. Likewise, people who are fat and stupid will start to get the idea when they have their first heart attack, or major health problem. They learn eventually, but banning something that is okay for people in moderation because a few people are too stupid to moderate is always a bad idea.

You should draw the line on infringing on other peoples right to be stupid.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I applaud to Canada!
    junk food = junk people = trash
    huge blobs of fat browsing through the streets, nothing can be more disgusting nowadays
    can not run, can not jump, can not hike, can not fight
    what use of such pathetic crowd?
    save the people!

12. Arditezza Banned Banned

Why not just have the teacher or principal of the globulal offspring of irresponsible parenting write a note asking them not to send their children to school with junk food?

Why do we waste time passing stupid laws that only limit the rights of the not-so-stupid?

13. neoclassical Banned Banned

No, we can blame it on dysgenic practices brought on by modern society and rampaging, self-righteous Canadian liberalism.

This is the only good thing I've ever heard out of Canada besides some NSBM and death metal. Junk food is a plague and I don't want my taxes to have to pay for its effects. Then again, I'd rather simply pick off those who are addicted to unhealthy lifestyles and have a population the earth can support.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

how exactly prohibiting to sell junk food is taking a chunk out of state's budget?
    simply sell other, more healthier food

15. shmoe Registred User Registered Senior Member

Are they trying to ban kids from bringing junk food to school? If so, I'd have to disagree.

If they're trying to ban schools from selling junk food from campus vending machines and caffeterias, then I'm all for that. The schools should promote healthy living and provide healthy food options, not trash. While they are at it, they should increase the time kids spend in the gym (tv told me it was 40min 2 times a week in public school).

16. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

yeah they are banning junk food from vending machines, but others could argue that the problem is not high-energy foods like chips and candy bars, the problem is students don't use the consumed energy, physical inactivity rates have gone way down and obesity rates way up, and they could say that schools could use the profit earned from the vending machines (major source of finance for many schools) and promote physical activity programs, which can solve the real problem

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

however.. if the students don't eat junk food in the first place they migth not need any additional physical acticities
    p.s. junk food has also its' "unhealthy" factor to it, not just high energy properties

18. Kikisue Registered Member

No, they need excercise anyway. Supposed to get something like 30 minutes at least every other day to keep your heart healthy, some of it intense - even with a good diet. Especially when you are young, because it helps set your metabolic pattern.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yeah, you're right. but I still see that funding sports activities from feeding children with junk food is morally corrupt. the same like giving poison and then gifting medicine. and junk food has more ill effects than simple sports activities can cure. (runaway metabolism, blood damage, etc)// They need to fund sports activities, but from other sources. Double gain and twice more healthier.

p.s. I'm into martial arts since 13 and haven't eaten any junk food at all since 15. There is no need for it. You can eat healthy and tasty food that is other than burgers and potato chips.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I agree. It is well-known that it's not the junkfood itself that makes one sick; it is the ammount of junkfood eaten in some time. All food is fine, in moderate amounts. Besides, diet should be a choice.
    What I could never understand is why one is not allowed the right to get ill by choice, given that the illness is not contageous.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

interests of society
    if too much people of the society become overweight then suffers the whole society, its' productivity and the costs of national social care system would increase dramatically
    fat people work less, need additional care and die faster

besides... just look at this pic..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

just tax junk food like crazy. Tax it as you would tax sigarettes. Then healthy food immediately becomes more attractive and the state has some extra income to spend on public heath care.

disclaimer: this wouldn't work in the US of course for obvious reasons.

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

BTW, I have seen many overweight people in Germany. Tsk-tsk-tsk. Also, American skinny people are skinnier than European skinny people, and ours are much more fit.

Fat people go to work; I've seen many who are quite neat and take care of themselves well.

I read a newspaper article explaining the food problem. In poor neighborhoods in NYC (at least), healthy food is more expensive than fast food in diners like McDonalds, Blimpie's, etc. Ridiculous, you may think, but true.

If the gov't thinks for its people even when it comes to diet, it deliberately takes the brains out of its people's heads. The result will eventually be the worst nightmare of American government.

And quit posting that pic with girls' asses hanging out.