Open Debate: Evolution.

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Muslim, Jun 18, 2006.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree. I will volunteer to be the first male sex slave, in the tradition of the great empires of the past.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you are naughty I shall hand you over to the Knights who say "Ni"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That would be bad. I will behave, mistress.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Those who are unable to achieve in life clamour for power. You paint a very broad brush of mankind from the greed of a few.

Remember, we are not children of gods, but instead evolving beings. We still have much to learn and achieve.

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I would suggest to everyone reading this to go get a copy of a book by Steven Pinker called "The Blank Slate - The Modern Denial of Human Nature". You may not agree with everything he has to say, but it is very enlightening and bears on just about every discussion we're having here.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You ARE idealistic! I suspected as much! I'm not, I'm afraid, I've seen what greed and corruption people are capable of and to what depths people are willing to sink to maintain a status quo.

But you are right, as well. There are people who gain personal and intellectual fulfillment and you will not find them among those who want to kill or fight; unfortunately, since you'll also rarely find them at the helm of such groups; there is a very low likelihood of such groups even listening to or considering them. They are essentially doomed to be the spectators who know what is going wrong and simultaneously being completely helpless to do anything about it.

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

From the minds of theists?

Education my dear, education. THAT is what we do about it.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately (for you), I never judge people based on their deistic inclinations!!

Guess which (mostly) educated country has killed the most number of people in the last century for reasons that have nothing to do with religion?

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You have already in some of your posts.

Please enlighten. And of course, you'll be presenting those reasons, right?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if you're talking about yourself it had nothing to do with your inclinations!

If anyone else, it was not deliberate, mostly my mouth taking over my brain

Oh its there in the thread somewhere, and its mostly about politics and power, of course combined with a whole lot of misplaced good intentions and lack of foresight.

Here it is:

American Democide

In domestic democide, such as lynchings, the American government was probably indirectly responsible for around 2,000 killed since 1900. But in foreign wars, the American military may have killed hundreds of thousands of foreigners in cold blood, virtually all civilians, and the greater majority of these by bombing.
    Putting together all the subtotals (lines 333 to 350), in this century the United States probably murdered about 583,000 people (line 350), conceivable even as many as 1,641,000 all told. Virtually all of these were foreigners killed during foreign wars. Domestically, throughout this century the American Federal or state governments were responsible for the murder of about 1 out of every 1,111,000 Americans per year.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sorry about that, but I wouldn't have imagined you were talking about the US when you said, "educated country."

I now have to clean off the margarita which spewed thru my nose and onto my laptop.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hey I did qualify it with "mostly", so you cannot say you weren't warned.

Too bad about the margarita, though; and the laptop of course ( you see my priorities are in the right order)

17. Alejandro -2 Minutes To Midnight- Registered Senior Member

Lets inject a little honesty into this-

Phillipine-American war (the war U.S bought from Spain)
    http://www.historyguy.com/PhilipineAmericanwar.html

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP8.HTM Pakistan
    http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP3.HTM Japan
    http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP4.HTM Cambodia
    http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP5.HTM Turkey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/rwanda/

Heres a good one-

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

And I brought you a hadith which says exactly that. Why the evasion?

Sura 9 for starters. Kill, convert, or pay the tax.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you missed the point; we're talking about an educated country...unless you claim that these other countries are educated on a scale equal to the US?

20. Alejandro -2 Minutes To Midnight- Registered Senior Member

You cannot be so selective, it doesnt take education to know mass murder and genocide is wrong.

But the reality is all those listed are\were led by "educated" people....no excuses. Do you really think Pakistan is uneducated?....Japan???

The point is you are taking pot shots at the U.S, a fair and just nation.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But seriously, your argument here really does not have merit. The US is mired in religious dogma and fanaticism, and rates very low in educational standards when compared to the vaste resources at its disposal, and to other more secular countries.

As silly as it seems, a great number of Americans actually believe the earth was created by a god.

Isn't that ridiculous?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is not an America bashing thread; this is a thread on evolution and we are discussing the reasons for the evolution of religion; since one posting claimed that increased education should replace religion, I selected a multicultural educated country with the BEST education in the world, as an example that, education does not automatically bring world peace.

There is murder all over the world; I do not condone ANYONE who resorts to killing to prove a point; I just selected the best representative I had. Not because it is the US; because it is the best representative of educated country committing a large scale massacre for non-religious reasons.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but it is the best example.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

There's one way to pacify the world (in a good way). Education and wealth. It's harder to mobilize people who are satisfied with their lives and have a sense of ownership over their property. Raise the standard of living of the world above a certain threshold and violent conflict will almost disappear. So says I.