Operating System(OS) Wars

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Feb 14, 2014.

?

Which OS is better? (post version/build and any reason for your decision)

1. Windows OS

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Mac OS

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Linux based OS

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. UNIX

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah im as real as it gets... lol.!!!

O yes this Pavlion 14" screen chromebook incerts red squiggle lines... has right click or 2 fanger touch pad right click an the spell checker is grate (i use it on words that ant spelled close enuff to recognize... but some words still need to be googled in a sentence sometimes to get the right spellin).!!!

My first internet device was a WebTV... it worked perty good in the beginin but toward the end it woudnt work at my banks... Liberry or even Walmart... lol.!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

oh...ok, i forgot about webTV. In that case you made the right choice with the chromebook, it's much better than webTV. Good choice about spell check. If it isnt necessary than probably better off not using it and it can't correct grammer. looool. I was always a good speller though. In written form i suffer a minor case of dyslexia.

I throw my hat into the ring for OS X. Even though i have not used the latest version and i have only an old mac that has kernal panicks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fogpipe Registered Member

After using various flavors of linux (migrated during the win 95 fiasco) I settled on slackware. I just have never seen anything like it for stable trouble free operation. Im using the 64 bit current flavor of slack.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. snowfox Registered Senior Member

windows my friends only because im lazy and i dont want to do the work of changing my os and too poor for a mac

8. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Linux hands down. Can't wait for an Ubuntu phone

9. fogpipe Registered Member

Ubuntu is not linux, especially with systemd.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You might want to try rewriting the wikipedia on that one.

11. fogpipe Registered Member

Who have a less than stellar record on accuracy. If you are an ubuntu fan you should take a look at the backgrounds of the companies and people pushing systemd, youd be suprised, but trust me, i have used linux since 96 and ubuntu in its current state, especially with systemd, is not linux.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I didn't bother with Ubuntu, I did use Debian about a decade back for a while, however I moved onto the *BSD range. I found Unix related systems more appealing than just pure Linux.

The reality is though that there can be Linux kernels present, which means there is a partial case for people calling such OS's "Linux".

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

lol leopold, my man... reminiscing about BASIC is like reminiscing about refrigerators you had to throw ice into

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

oh my, it's varda.
    yeah, well i'll damned.
    BASIC was the shit back in the day.
    i've written quite a few programs with it.
    2 or 3 of which i'm really proud of.
    one of the best was a "string art" generator.
    some really amazing plots was gained by that program.
    it basically worked on the fourier transform.
    i've been giving thoughts to resurrecting that old dinosaur here on the forums.

15. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Haha, please do.
    I'm not absolved from thinking fondly of archaic tech... hell, I'm still making money off of cobol. That cow shall never die.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

the unfortunate thing is i no longer have a BASIC machine and i no longer have the program listing.
    i could reconstruct 95% or so of the program from memory but there are certain "tweaks" that had to be done for the program to run correctly.
    the program used 3 basic waveshapes, sine, square, and triangular.
    the values the operator had control of was the cycle count and waveshape.
    due to anomalies of the setup, waveshape cycle count HAD to be divisible by 4
    i remember having to zero certain waveshape points to keep from drawing "anomalous" lines.
    each addition of a waveshape required a multiplier and i can't remember what that was.
    but yeah, it was a grand program.
    i had to debug that thing so often that i devised a way to store the waveshapes in memory instead of regenerating them every time the program was run.
    it was a short step from there to storing the generated results in memory too.
    i had to reserve 8 pages for video memory and only used 4 for the plots.
    that left me with 4 pages to store the arrays.
    sounds easy, but doing the above created its own problems.
    BASIC zeroes all variables when you run a program so i had to also store certain variables in memory too.
    yeah, i truly miss my coco, it was about the only thing that taxed my brain.

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

lol your coco...

BTW, there are BASIC compilers/emulators for windows that you can get to help you rewrite your code and get it running... I wonder, Maybe there's even an in-browser one, that'd be pretty easy/cool. Google around. May be a fun thing to play around with during the holidays.

18. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Unrelated side note... Stryder, the mobile website for this forum is awesome. So much better than your average off-the-shelf phpbb mobile site. I love it. Is it a custom one, or is it offered by whatever platform you guys use?

19. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Anyways, CentOS, bitches.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

i googled "BASIC compilers/ emulators" and got the following link:
    sourceforge.net/projects/pcbasic/
    it's a 16 MB download.
    i'll check it out.
    i doubt if i can use it though because my program requires direct access to each screen pixel.
    i'll soon find out though.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

the above download seems promising.
    here's the help file:

Attached Files:

22. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

The help file is just for navigating the BASIC shell. Does it require DOS, or is it a bootable BASIC? I have too many machines that need upgrades right now, and no time to play..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

the app opens in a command type of window from the desktop.
    it ran the basic "hello world" program.
    i haven't tested pixel access nor the different video modes.
    you might be able to get the app to boot, i don't know.
    there are 2 executables in the download, pcbasic.com and pcbasic.exe.
    upgrades?
    you planning on upgrading your machine to BASIC?