Operating System(OS) Wars

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Feb 14, 2014.

?

Which OS is better? (post version/build and any reason for your decision)

1. Windows OS

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Mac OS

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Linux based OS

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. UNIX

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

not very OS literate and i hate to code, but i loved using BASIC or MSDOS in the past...
    however i think i prefer Linux over all other systems to date

this is due to my experiments with my old aging laptop...

i fixed an old (now over 8 year old) laptop that absolutely screams for my son
    i wiped the Windows off of it and replaced it with Linux (can't remember which, but i think it was Ubuntu)
    that old laptop works better, faster, and has a lot more programs and working stuff on it than my brand new Quad-core with the latest WIN software on it...
    and it's only ever crashed once, mostly because the user didn't know what they were doing and got hit with the Amish virus

i would also consider myself only somewhat computer literate though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Linux sound cool! Maybe I will watch a few beginners YouTube videos on using Linux since I know very little about using it. I have heard that it is fast, secure, and free. I am thinking about focusing on learning about Linux Mint and Linux Ubuntu.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Keronjit Registered Member

Which Operating System is better now a days. I am using Windows 10 for about 3 months. But I didn't enjoy it. I think Windows 7 is much better. What's about you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

If you are not satisfied with Windows 10 and you do not feel like going back to Windows 7 then Linux is a good choice. Watch some YouTube videos on using Linux to see if you like it before you install it on your computer. If you decide you want to try out Linux I think a good choice would be to install a virtual machine which basically runs Linux from within Windows, Mac, or whichever OS you have on your computer.

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Or simply run the distro from a USB stick. It won't touch your hard disk, and you can try it out.

9. Keronjit Registered Member

Thank you for your advice. Yeah, I also think that Windows 7 would be much better for me. But didn't understand about Linux. How could I learn it?

10. Keronjit Registered Member

Looks like this method is totally new to me. Could you guide me a little about this?

11. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

@Keronjit
    read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

and this: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

walks you through it and shows you how to create and install/use from USB stick

you can start with the forums on the site for the Linux system you load (like the above links)
    there are also other forums you can visit to learn how to code - if you want to take it that far
    it is not necessary, but it can be fun for those interested

mostly it is just different than windows so it's just a matter of getting used to where everything is and how it's represented in the OS interface (like where files are stored, etc)

Keronjit likes this.
  12. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

What he said.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  13. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

If you want to learn about the basics of installing and using Linux then go to the Linux version site you are interested in, such as Linux Mint or Linux Ubuntu, and look for the online site documentation and then find and read the online user guide.

14. Keronjit Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. I will surely try for it.

15. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Just make sure you get a USB stick with the right amount of memory (2 GB) on it before you try to install Linux Ubuntu on it.

16. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Do you guys think Android and iOS should be added to the list of poll choices instead of being grouped under other?

17. Nacho Registered Senior Member

I like Linux much-much better than WIN, and even better than some Unix I tried. At work we used to run all of our clients on SCO Unix, and I liked it the best. It was a great OS, but Linux brought in more connectivity/compatibility to other OSes and files from other OSes (read: WIN). To deliver a less expensive system, we migrated to Redhat Linux on our client's computers. When my SCO Unix work computer broke down, I migrated to a laptop running Linux. I wouldn't, and couldn't, have entertained the idea of using only a WIN work computer.

That was 4 1/2 years ago. I tried a whole bunch of different distros, and finally settled on Ubuntu. I didn't care for Fedora (Redhat's cutting edge distro) because their OS was put out with too many bugs for me. I couldn't use Redhat as to get a distribution I would have had to buy a maintenance agreement. Ubuntu is good in that it has a fast track new feature path/release, and a separate release that is more stable, and they support that release for a longer period of time.

If you have just used WIN products, it will take some time to get used to. I have found free/cheap replacements for everything I ever used a WIN computer for. In fact, I turned the monitor off on the WIN computer that I did have (I used it only for company email, and some other minor stuff) and used a Ubuntu/Linux remote desktop client to connect to it. I like the programs better in that they are "cleaner" -- they are not near as complicated as the corresponding WIN program, and thus easier to use/learn, and they run so much faster than on WIN. When I bought the laptop I put an additional 4 GB in it, making 8GB, as it was cheap at the time and the computer had WIN 8 on it, and if all else failed I thought I might have to use it anyway. The Ubuntu system has rarely used over 4GB. Sometimes additional memory is used for cache buffers, but not to run any of the programs I have loaded all the time (I keep a browser, email, spreadsheet program, music, terminal, file explorer, and maybe even video player open ALL of the time, and could run more if needed).

So, I would recommend Ubuntu Linux, if you don't mind playing around with loading the OS and playing around with it until you get it configured and setup as you want and need.

Very good idea!

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I just dumped Ubuntu for Linux Mint. Spent last weekend performing a deep format and loading the new OS. I used Mint years back on an old laptop someone had given me; I'm now using it on another laptop. Yep, Mint has a better feel to it. I think that's because the desktop mimics Windows in many ways.

19. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

well, that's good and bad, depending
    if you wouldn't mind keeping this thread updated occasionally with your feedback on mint as you go along, i would appreciate it

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Me too. Used Ubuntu until that system crashed and died (hard drive failure). will be using Linux again soon though.

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

Can you use Wine to run Ms Office in Linux?

22. Nacho Registered Senior Member

Maybe ... but I doubt it would be easy. I installed Wine on my Ubuntu computer to see if it would run the Sling TV PC application. Sling has their interface for the TV boxes, but they also have a program that runs on Win PCs (and other), but not Linux.

It failed to run the Sling TV app -- I couldn't even get it to install. It looked to me you have to get pretty deep into Win configuration, setting up DLLs and other directories, and pointing them to different places in the Ubuntu file system, and maybe even getting some DLLs from another source. I was wanting something quick and easy to run the Sling TV app, and Wine didn't look to me like it could get it done easy, or done at all.

And, the Sling TV app looks to me to not be near as complex a program as Ms Office -- so you can draw your own conclusion. So, if you try, get ready for a whole bunch of configuration problems/setup/problem resolution.

23. professorpunctual Registered Member

Gotta be Windows, it's just got the reliability and power that I need in an OS.