Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Jun 4, 2009.

1. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Hyperactive Catatonic Aversion Syndrome With Smelly Feet (HCASWSF)
    HCASWSF is characterized by erratic, high-energy behavior in combination with an extreme inability to stay awake in the rejection of others, worsened by offensive odors from the toes, ankles and feet.

LOL!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Oh, I just read your above post, which I found a lot less funny.

He was suspended for laughing and touching walls?? And sent for a clinical diagnosis??

I find this nothing short of alarming.

Of course he touches walls when told not to, what normal kid wouldn't think it was funny to antagonize an adult over something so minor? That's called being a normal kid. Not a fucking mental disorder. (I dread to think what I would have been diagnosed with as a kid...I used to yell 'POO' in public, while giggling hysterically, and refuse to shut up.)

If he did something more serious like taunting or hitting another child or breaking things then refusing to stop the behaviour, I would understand this treatment of him, but laughing and touching walls?

Who diagnosed him? Were they a reputable professional? I think you should get a second opinion.

I read those links, they sound alarming too.

Now, I hope I have actual Asperger's syndrome, so I can not be one of the homogenized ones (ok, I don't....I was just expressing anger.)

Is there anything people could do to raise some awareness, maybe create an association that would raise awareness and call for more objective diagnostic criteria and ones that were based on actual science...?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

suspected? Why not get diagnosed? :shrug:

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Can they concentrate on a video game or TV for hours on end? If so, I don't buy the ADHD diagnosis.
    Corporal punishment is best used for small children. Say a 2 year old. They do somehthing bad, they get a little swat on the bottom. They quickly learn that doing the bad thing will result in negative consequences. Trying to use some other method of discipline is pretty tough with 2 year olds. Do you ground them? Take away privileges? What?

As a child gets older and has more priviledges, then you can take them away as punishment. But, the thing is, if you disciplined the child appropriately when he/she was young, they're probably not going to give you too much trouble as they get older. On the other hand, let a two and three year old run wild, and you're going to have a teenager that you can't control.
    I'd consider that an inappropriate punishment, unless you were simply told to not take food into the room where you dropped the crumbs. Punishment shouldn't be given for accidents, but for willful disobedience.
    Discipline should not be random or associated with anger. Discipline should be predictable, consistent, and the result of willful disobedience. The child should know that if they step over the line, bad consequences will follow. If discipline is random, it is useless. If discipline is given in anger, it's likely to become abuse. You should wait until you're no longer angry before disciplining the child.
    might I just say that your anger to stimulus ratio is a bit higher than average.
    Then what's the big deal?

9. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure physical discipline is really appropriate for every child. Wasn't necessary for any of my parents' children. We all are educated and mostly not crazy. Niece totally needs it. It depends.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, the absolutely most important thing is consistency. Never make empty threats. If you do, the child will lose all respect for you.

11. superstring01 Moderator

My younger sister has four kids and is constantly complaining about how bad her kids are. I point out to her that she lives on empty threats and her kids are aware of this. She scoffs at me because I don't have kids and don't know what I'm talking about.

I have taken the time to explain to her that I've seen good parents--atheist, christian, muslim, corporal and non-corporal punishment users, liberal and conservative--and the one thing that connects them all is consistency, patience, attention and love. Everything else is a variable. In the case of my sister, as I explained, she's lacking the attention and consistency. Without those pieces, the whole house falls to pieces.

~String

12. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

well, no. I, being the concerned father that I am, took him to a very trusted counselor well before this particular incident. I myself have had a brush with death several times, and it helps to talk things out. So, this fellow is very good, he works with kids. He knows my feelings on these alphabet soup labeled "diseases," and he knows my background studying physical anthropology.

Any physical trait that appears in more than 5% of the population clearly IS NOT a "genetic disease" or "disorder." There had to be a evolutionary cause for brains to work in this manner at some point in time. It is well know that certain brilliant scientists and artists throughout history were known for their eccentric behavior. (Edison, Mozart, etc. the list is endless) Does this mean they had a "disorder or disease"? Fat chance. Around 5% of the population has red hair, shall we classify that as a disorder? How about homosexuality? Just because genetic differences might not neatly conform to how we have structured our society, does NOT mean that these individuals need to be drugged and have their physical health and development put in jeopardy.

By taking my son to this professional, I had someone that could tell me what the "clinical diagnosis" would be, what the system's reaction would be, and what my options are and what I can expect. It had more to do with ME as a parent and advice from a trusted friend. He's a professional in the field on how to deal with the system and gave me advice for helping my son, rather than giving "interference."

Would I ever resort to drugs? Or telling my child he has a disorder or that there is something wrong with him? Hell no. He knows it's the system that expects everyone to be the same. Likewise, he is aware he had better learn how to "fake it" soon or later if he wants to prosper in this world. But at this point, he's only seven, what can you do?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Unfortunately, the schools are a hell of a lot less patient and tolerant then when I was a child. No, all of those things you mentioned? i.e. "taunting or hitting another child or breaking things then refusing to stop the behavior" things such as picking on others, stealing stuff, skipping class, vandalism, like, ACTUAL BAD THINGS?, he has never done. What he HAS gotten suspended for is too much talking, to much goofing off, not following directions, not listening, well, just some of the more mild ODD symptoms, often argues with adults
    often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
    often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior, etc. Hell, if they had the same standards back when I was a kid? I would have been suspended twice as many times. I did ACTUAL bad things in first grade. Did you know bringing toy guns to school will get you EXPELLED? lol

They tried to stretch the definition of ADD/ADHD to make it fit him in the schools, but I have such good relations with the community mental health clinic and have had him tested BEFORE their counselors even did their observation of him in class (with out even notifying me), and he didn't come close to scoring ADD/ADHD. Basically? Even at this tender young age he thinks the whole sausage factory is boring bullshit. Kids want to be kids, and the system wants to medicate them when they refuse to act like adults.

The problem here, is they would be fighting a world wide NWO, that is more more quickly drawing the net tighter. Science and truth are no longer valued in the 21st century I'm afraid. Politics are more important.
    This is true discussing global warming, this is true discussing 9/11, and this will be true discussing "mental disorders" as well. Billions of dollars are at stake, peoples careers and whole lives, and indeed, the mind control of entire populations are at stake. You think the heroic work of a commission as well organized as this one will make a dent against all that? I would sure hope so, but . . .

http://www.cchr.org/#/home

13. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i totally agree, i think thats a crucial part of parenting.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ah, I understand your point of view better. This does sound reasonable enough, since a 2 year old doesn't reason well, and doesn't have a mobile or computer that you can confiscate for a week.

Nope, I wasn't.

Also sounds fair.

Yeah I'd openly admit I have a bit of a hair trigger.

I don't wish to get rid of my temperament, though, it can even be a positive thing in some circumstances. Other people get upset or depressed by things. I have a nice, horrid, explosive berserker rage, then get over it.

The thread wasn't about me. I heard the term oppositional defiant disorder somewhere and looked it up out of interest, and was extremely sceptical of what I read.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Jeez. When I was in primary school, mild naughtiness like too much talking and too much goofing off were quite normal. You were simply sent out of the classroom to calm down. None of this 'X has a medical condition' bullshit.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'm going to, when I'm a small bit older, more self sufficient, and can go arrange this for myself.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

but what if the self diagnoses is wrong? I wouldn't want you to unfairly label yourself. Others do that, so why do it to yourself??

18. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

it is all about not taking accountability.
    it's an evolutionary mental illness brought on by the bad parenting of the baby boomers and now their children have done this to their own children and we see it as a disorder as the child of the baby boomer trys to label their child as damaged goods instead of facing up to the fact they are a bad parent and have mental health issues brought on by their own childhood.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Orly: That's the reason I said *suspected* rather than just 'I have A-syndrome' like some people do. I haven't labeled myself yet

I think yes it is partly that.

And partly also a need to homogenize everyone, and label anyone outside that narrow norm as 'someone with a disorder'.

You can silence nonconformity very effectively by simply saying 'That's your disorder talking'.

20. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I like your assessment!

The psychiatrist (and major critic of psychiatry) Thomas Szasz commented on the simplicity of psychiatry when he was a med student decades and decades ago (he's pretty old), with a mere handful of serious mental disorders. And now there are hundreds. Some dubious. Maybe many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_and_Statistical_Manual_of_Mental_Disorders

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

ODD seems to be environmental meaning it stems from failure in the home which is why they state this as treatment and not drug therapy:

A child with ODD can be very difficult for parents. These parents need support and understanding. Parents can help their child with ODD in the following ways:

Always build on the positives, give the child praise and positive reinforcement when he shows flexibility or cooperation.

Take a time‑out or break if you are about to make the conflict with your child worse, not better. This is good modeling for your child. Support your child if he decides to take a time‑out to prevent overreacting.

Pick your battles. Since the child with ODD has trouble avoiding power struggles, prioritize the things you want your child to do. If you give your child a time‑out in his room for misbehavior, don't add time for arguing. Say "your time will start when you go to your room."

Set up reasonable, age appropriate limits with consequences that can be enforced consistently.

Maintain interests other than your child with ODD, so that managing your child doesn't take all your time and energy. Try to work with and obtain support from the other adults (teachers, coaches, and spouse) dealing with your child.

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_with_oppositional_defiant_disorder

The say these children respond to positive parenting. The issue I think is whether the behaviour of these kids is 'normal' relative to other children in terms of behaviour problems. Yeah kids act up and act out but there is a difference between a child who does this on occasion and a child who is always like this. Its is actually a good thing to have it classified as schools can insist on treatment and get these parents to learn parenting skills before the life of their child spirals out of control which can happen.
    Manage your own stress with exercise and relaxation. Use respite care as needed.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

OMG, I HATE that! My husband sets fire to the lawn and I come out of the house yelling. He says ":geez, are you on the rag?!"

23. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Been there, done all of that, and didn't consider myself dysfunctional at the time, and still don't, even though A-H all still apply to varying degrees. Same problem as you, VI; I'm surrounded by annoying neanderthal nitwits.