Others relationships

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by birch, Sep 30, 2017.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

I have learned the hard way through naivetey that when other people complain to you about their relationships, it's best not to get involved, offer personal opinion or give advice, because if taken, you most likely will be blamed if they decide later that was not the choice they wanted to make.

If you don't offer your opinion, then you can't be blamed and all decisions will be on the other. Not that one deserves to be blamed anyways since no one put a gun to their head but that is people for you. No good deed or at least intention goes unpunished it seems.

Big mistake to get involved. The thing is even though people may complain looking for sympathy, often they really don't want to leave or they may actually care for the person and if you get involved, you could eventually be seen as the evil villain in the middle trying to break up a relationship even though you don't really care either way.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Agree 100%.
    One's job as friend is to console and comfort, not to convince or urge.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

A friend of mine was having a minor disagreement with his wife and I made a comment that sort of agreed with her. He asked me, "Why do you always side with her?"

I told him, "Because I know you're eventually going to give in. If I take your side now, I'm going to be alone on your side by tomorrow."

origin and sculptor like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.