Overpopulation of Planet Earth

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by duendy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

I have been thinking about theoverpopulaton of Earth , especially in last few weeks, andhad meant to star a thread. was inspired to today after reading an article at http://www.propagandamatrix.com titled 'Leading Scientists: Overpopulation "is main threat to planet"' (sorry i cant give you direct URL. my limited system cant findout the url ofpage i am on. a drag i know)

It says in article that it hasbecome taboo to even discuss about overpopulation--'politically incorrect'. i hadn't know that. so that very MUCh trigered me to get it up here for debate!

whats your thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

We need a good old fashioned nuclear war, or a zombie epidemic. They really thin out the population, and the latter shows who the real survivors are.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Present BAMF Registered Senior Member

we are far from the full capacity of earth. if space gets tight we can always build upwards. as for food, many nations have huge surplusses of food right now, the united states for example is waisting loads of food.

also when you think of the huge amount of meat the united states consumes and then think of how much more food could have been fed to humans had we eaten the plants instead of feeding cows, pigs , ect... now im not saying that we should all become vegitarians (dont vegitarians die early due to insufficient ammino acids?) but if we began to eat more veggies we could certainly support more people

not to mention gm foods. http://scope.educ.washington.edu/gmfood/

china is begining to control its total population and will actually be going down in the near future. india cant rise for too much longer their agriculture tech isnt very advanced.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. duendy Registered Senior Member

how can you say this planet can support our numbers which have doubled since 1960, and are increasng? would you say that for any oter nimal or is it cause you tinksun shins outta our arses

i trink it is one of THE biggest crimes, the unthinking overpopulation of Earth

Asfar ias i am aware, many Indigenous peoples regulated their numbers so as not to add pressure to the environment andoter spcies, which they knew was inteconnected with teir own welfare. but we 'civilized' people have lost this sense of balance, and now look at the state of us!

it hasbeen patriarchal mythology which has promoted unlimited births. look how now abortion is demonized by certain fundamental groups

I te 'developing' world. ie., the world exploited by the West....the reason peoplehave more children there is due to the fact of te insecurity of the economic system imposed on them

why is it tho in the West more and more people, including ay people want to produce yet more and more babies?

whatis it with having to have babies? isit cause you feel tat tey are your immortality or someting? that if you die not having procreated that it means your worthless as a human being?
    what about the Planet. does that not matter for future generations?

8. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

why is it that you constantly attack the west, duendy? it is not soley the west that is causing this problem, in fact we have very few people for the amount of land there is. the east and middle east has a major overpopulation problem, specifically india and many african countries. it seems that overpopulation is mainly due to inadequate education, or poverty. studies have shown that the less educated tend to have more children. this is true in both other countries, and the US. this is also the reason that AIDS is a lot more prevalent in Africa.

people want to have babies because it is a natural instinct. once you reach a certain age, most people have an overpowering desire to have sex, or to have a child. this desire does not always fade after one child, too. also, primal desires are harder to resist for the less educated.

the the highest rates of population increase are in India, China, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Nigeria. none of those are in the west.

9. Facial Valued Senior Member

India has the capacity to rise above 2 billion. They have twice as much arable land as China, but I doubt 2 billion will be reached since the demographics will develop fast enough to slow it down. Just a thought.

10. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

The idea that we are near the overpopulation limit of the earth is ridiculous. The first studies to address this idea were done in the 20's and predicted a global population limit of about 1 billion. Obviously this has turned out to be incorrect.

So, what mistakes did they make? They didn't make any. They correctly calculated the number of arable acres, the yield per acre, and the food required per person. However, due to the "evils" of science and technology every year more acres become arable and each acre produces more yield. The most valuable natural resource is the human mind because of how it can improve the use and availability of all other resources.

The only real indicator of scarcity of any given commodity is price. In real terms the price of food staples (bread, milk, beans, rice, etc.) is at an all time low. The world has more people than it has at any point in the past and we are better prepared to feed them than we have been at any point in the past. There is obviously some limit, but we are nowhere near it yet.

-Dale

11. Light Registered Senior Member

Still as blind as ever, eh, Duendy? And talking about (actually, raving!) things you know so little about. :bugeye:

People in the West, the U.S. and Canada for example, are having fewer children that ever before. For some time now, the only reason for population increases in the U.S. has been due to immigration.

Question: why is it you continually open your mouth while keeping your eyes firmly closed? You'd do MUCH better the other way around. (Hint, hint.)

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

about what? the causes, or the solutions, or in general

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

ohhhhhhh, what A coinceeedence!!

14. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

so you blame increased pop. growth rates in other countries (not neccesarily 3rd world) on the US? you blame the growth rate of china, probably the most powerful and close to self-sustaining nation on the planet, on the US?

15. duendy Registered Senior Member

no. listen. i am very very much seeing how empries havecreated a complete fuk up, wit aftermath-ic legacy round the world. ie., British Empire...? and the 'American influence, with its policies, overt and covert----all have created and continue to create the dire situations, which include overpopulation

BUT te real problem begins when a mindset becomes cut off from Nature. thism indset goes way back. Britain and U.S extremely much continue this distrous lack of relationship

patriarchal myth with its emphasis on procreation has M U C H to answer for. ita idea we are to dominate all Nature, rather than seeing that we are part OF the balance.

someone in tis thread believes its perfectly alright, our numbers ad that planet earth can sustain more. but what abou the extincting of all othe spcies, of the degradation of wilderness, etc. it isn't just about us fukin humans ya know!!

16. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

I agree regarding the zombie epidemic. In fact I have been preparing for it by watching every bad zombie horror movie that I can get my hands on. I'm pretty confident that I'm ready.

17. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Ah so even though the highest rates of population increase are not in the west, you still blame the western world. Right..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  18. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Ok. Let me test you. What is the most versatile tool to carry ICOZ?

19. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

The west cannot just shruk off all kinds of blame, for example im almost sure i eat and throw away more food in a week then many 3rd world families, even thou i very rarely throw food away, im sur that if someone cared to dig up the numbers it would show the west as using far more resource then the rest.

Imo Overpopulation is just the cause, the effects and what to do about them are more intresting.

p.s. with proper resource managment, we not even close to earth Max pop.

20. duendy Registered Senior Member

why did western explorers go searching for new land and then do genocide on the people for??

And how many people are now in the U.S in comparison before the take over of the lands?

what i am saying is that Indigenous people apparently self-regulate their numbers so as to make sure they didn't overbear resources etc......being also intelligent enough to plan for future generations, not just their own

what we got in this patriarchal/materialistic nightmare is totally not tat, but grab what yu can when you can and fuk the rest. including all other species

21. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

We really need to stop and think about the pressures to force men into sex with women --- and start seeing undue and extreme 'promotion' of heterosexuality as a threat to humankind and the nature itself.

22. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Duendy, who are these "Indigenous people" which you generalise and idealise without references?

23. duendy Registered Senior Member

Native American tribes used to regulate their populations....as others hafe done. why, was the wolrd overpopulated years ago?.....no, i am not sentimentally idea;lzing Indigenous peoples, but also i am not beliving to be superior to them---are you?