Owning a person

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Dec 13, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do they? Sell them for toilet cleaning? Because they do sell them for sex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Yep.

And farm work, factory work, etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Guess in that case, its entirely irrelevant if I think its ethical whether they sell them for hard labour or sexual intercourse, isn't it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It has been irrelevant to this thread throughout. You were originally attempting to talk about prostitution, but got distracted or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You would need to pick an example of prostitution involving ownership, which is a little difficult and narrow. Selling children for sex is not prostitution, for example.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I was talking about prostitution as an example of owning a person. I wondered if it could be considered as a category of trafficking. As you can see I am introducing variuos aspects of prostitution as a barter of a body which I think relate to other instances of bartering bodies for various instances in an attempt to describe why I think prostitution is a form of trafficking. After all we do not think a person who takes drugs has the right to abuse their bodies so why should they be "allowed" to barter it? Most places even consider suicide as an offense. You cannot kill or drug yourself, but you can sell yourself for sexual favours?

For example, if the person who expected you to move his piano suddenly unzipped his fly and said, I'll give you a bonus for a blow job, would you consider it appropriate?

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

For that, you would need an example of prostitution that involved owning a person.
    Nowhere I know of. Slavery is illegal, at least technically, everywhere.

No. Nor vice versa. But neither involves ownership, or is an example of anyone owning anyone else.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It does if the person thinks that "buying your time" = "owning your body for sexual services"

If you proceed to go ahead, you kinda agree to that, IMO

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The deluded or mentally incompetent do not establish reality for others.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately they usually do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not in the realm of service for money. If someone thinks they own me because they agreed to pay for my services moving a piano, I inform them otherwise.

Have you never held down a service job, or what is your difficulty with the concept of "fee for service"? It is not that complicated, one would think.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have but in all cases, I have refrained from adding my body as part of the package deal. I don't consider it as an item of sale. Haven't you?

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Nope. The labor of my body has been frequently included and assumed - it's a key factor in moving pianos, for instance.

Unless you are confusing this with some other kind of transaction? We were discussing fee for service transactions, IIRC

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is a sexual favour equal to labour in your opinion? Is it "work"?

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In prostitution, of course. That defines the act.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not if its illegal. Or doesn't that count?

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

What difference would that make?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if you were moving pianos from the local music shop to the local fence, for instance, would it still be work?

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And I'm getting paid? Sure.

For all I know, that's what I've been doing some days.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Set specific terms

No. You are buying services, not the body. At least, that's the underlying principle. Whether or not the johns understand that is something of a crap shoot, as I understand it. (I live in a state where a judge has ruled that prostitutes cannot be raped; there is very little I can say about that that falls anywhere near the realm of civility.)

Depends on the terms. A john should not presume that just because he has bought "sex" he can do whatever he likes. Nor should a prostitute presume that the john understands that. Specific terms should be set.

I'm going to go with no. If you are the pimp, facilitating the sale, the answer is yes.