parables

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by atomka, Oct 28, 2001.

1. atomka Registered Member

Does anyone wanna talk about parables or paradoxes? And, the reason we interpret them the way we do? If so, reply!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Such as?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. atomka Registered Member

examples

Some examples are like...... If a tree falls in the woods when no one is around, does it still make a sound? Or.... What's the sound of one hand clapping?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

??????? ...

atomka:
    What's there to talk about? Stuff like that has hashed and rehashed so many times it's boring.

Oxygen:
    Been meaning to mention: Really like your avatar.

Take care all.

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Chagur!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Atomka- try this one on for size:
    If you point a video camera at a mirror and turn it on, it forms an image of itself within itself. Does this make it self-aware?

As for the sound of one hand clapping, snap your fingers. Your one hand has just clapped against itself.

9. atomka Registered Member

yeah

Hey guys, that is cool, but I don't think it is suppose to be taken literally. Also , do u have something against me? It seems that u two r all about putting me down or something.

10. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oxygen ...

Are you into putting down atomka?

I don't think I am ... I don't think.

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

How are we putting you down? It certainly isn't our intention. I thought you wanted to discuss what I like to call "brain-twisters". I love the things, myself. Sometimes I run into one that gives me a brain-cramp. They tend to keep me up at night. Those are the best ones.

The "one hand clapping" thing is just something I came up with while stuck in traffic. It is, technically, a clap of part of the hand against itself. Just a little creative thinking, is all.

12. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

The Question:
    If a tree falls in the forest, and no one can experience it, does it make a sound?

My most thoroughly reasonsed answer
    I'm of two minds what this question is really asking.

My first answer is no, it does not make a sound. Sound is an experience. *However* it does produce compression waves in the air. My mind on this question is that it shows that there is a difference between the experience and the cause of the experience. It's a common mistake that many people make, and we have to rememeber that experiencial properties (color, odor, taste, sound) are all secondary qualities, which ride backseat to the primary properties (Mass, volume, charge, etc). This question is also asked in "What color is an orange in the dark".

On the other hand, the question could be asking the importance of an observer to an activity. Of course, then we can say-those of us who hold an Ultimate Observer-that there is always an observer, so yes the tree falls and it does make a sound. Without an ultimate observer, the answer would be yes or no, depending on your philosophy.

13. Reign_of_Error Registered Senior Member

If a tree falls in the forrest and kills a mime and there is no-one there to observe it, is it still funny??

I read that in another forum somewhere, I thought it was pretty funny

14. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

*Originally posted by Riomacleod
    Without an ultimate observer, the answer would be yes or no, depending on your philosophy.

Without an ultimate observer, there would be no answer, no you and certainly no philosophy.

15. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Bobby Lee-
    The egg came first. Reptiles were laying eggs long before chickens even evolved.

16. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Oxygen

I agree with you, I was simply trying to tackle it for all philosophy sets. I figured that the one-lineness of the answer gave away what my own beliefs are.