PC powers off then back on?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Jul 29, 2016.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Any advice? I'm not sure what to make of it. All that happens is when I press POWER my PC sometimes boots normally. Other times it will show the BIOS screen then just power off completely, wait a second and power itself back on. I have no idea what might be causing it and there are no errors displayed or anything odd. Not sure what to do?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

A common suggestion is that the BIOS might need updating, if that happens to be what is re-setting itself.

One "authority" claims that the double booting he tolerated for a couple of years was the result of the computer's CPU overclocking.

Popular advice is to remove the CMOS battery, leave it out for 10 seconds, then return it and power back-up. But that hasn't worked for anyone I've come across.

If there are any beeping sounds occurring, you can use the applicable BIOS manufacturer's beep code to diagnose the problem: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsb/g/beepcode.htm

darksidZz likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mtf Banned Banned

I had that problem with one of my previous computers. Afterwards, odd things started to happen while I worked on the computer -- without any warning, it would power itself off and then back on. I was told that this was because the computer was old and the Windows on it were becoming unstable.

darksidZz likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

If it's a software issue, such as unstable Windows, this is more likely simply to incur a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD), or simply a black screen if the settings are not to show a BSOD... and then reboot - so no powering off.

The powering off and then on again suggests that it is a heat issue. Most PCs these day are designed to power off if one of any number of components start to significantly overheat. So that would be where I would start looking.

For example, is the fan in the PSU working, or is the PSU itself very hot?

If you have any way of checking the temperature history of components, possibly through the BIOS (not sure if any store temp history, though), you can see if anything spiked prior to the power-down?

It may not be heat related, but that would be my initial guess.
    If your computer is definitely not overheating, it may be that your BIOS has become corrupted and simply thinks that it is overheating.

There again, it may be something entirely different.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

darksidZz likes this.
  8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I figured it out but not to my pleasure. Took me a bit of time to really think of what could cause it. This stupid hub that looks amazing was causing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Charging-Ports-Adapter-HB-U930/dp/B00SIQIV04/

Once I unplugged it and plugged in a normal USB 3.0 device like my bluray burner the rebooting stopped occurring. Something about this hub was either tripping the PSU or BIOS, not sure. I've kept it just incase but my system is for now acting normally. I also had just bought the thing before all this began but didn't give much thought to it because there shouldn't be any power problem there, who knows. Very frustrating!