Perpetual Motion/Over Unity Devices

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Epitectus, Apr 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epitectus Registered Senior Member

I recently discovered a book on mechanics and engineering from 1824, which has some theories about perpetual motion. I have been having some thoughts about certain types of machines similar to 'ying yang' and 'mirror magnet' machines, and also plasma accelerators, lightening and water powered machines. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this topic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

I was taught (many moons ago) that perpetual motion machines were an impossibility because all types of machines tend to use more energy than they can return back. As far as engines go, I recall that diesel engines were considered to be the most efficient as far as energy put in and what you get back, (perhaps I should say as far as energy being converted into a more usable form), but even diesels are only 44% efficient. Electric motors have a higher efficiency, but with all conversions of energy there is still resistance, heat loss, etc., which of course results in inefficiency/less efficiency. For a device to be completely perpetual or over unity, it should be able to run off of its own output/input continuously without any loss from resistance, etc., and ideally still have some workable energy to spare. This type of closed loop system with an efficiency of 100% to my understanding is impossible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Krusher Registered Senior Member

Perpetual Motion if obtainable could only work inside a vacuum chainber.

As air particals etc.. would create friction.
    And then combustion would be impossible for the lack of oxygen.
    I think it would have to be done in space anyway. zero G would help tremendosly

And even with 100% efficientcy it would be usless because it creates only enough energy to power itself.

[This message has been edited by Krusher (edited April 19, 2000).]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Krusher Registered Senior Member

I developed a theory on how to get energy from no where.

Is the anyway radiowaves could be converted to electricity because there is always radiowaves all around us from the universe and stuff.

It would seem to me this would be a very good source of energy, even if its not to powerful.

Like solar power that can work at night

8. Tony H2o Registered Senior Member

Overunity or free energy devices do they work?

Over the last two years I have attempted to build various machines that either work on the over balanced load, magnetic repulsion, or electrical devices that supposedly draw energy from an anonymous source like magnetic waves or ether energy.

I found the closest I came was with an overbalanced load device. Since this was my most successful attempt I have persevered with it and incorporated magnetic repulsion as a driver. The new device is called the magnetic cam gravity wheel. I found that to use the opposing magnetic forces you need to build in a cam effect otherwise the machine will seize up due to magnetic lock. So far I have only built a model out of cheap parts like straws, pop sticks, bluetac, erasers, cardboard etc with the most expensive parts being the nyobium magnets. It again came close to continuous operation but slowly wound down in speed due to the magnetic cam not being correctly aligned. Since then I have not had the time to return to the idea and pursue it further.........later maybe?

Many people in main stream science and engineering frown upon the idea of perpetual motion and toying with it, also there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there making extraordinary claims of success. Personally I have found it a very gratifying exercise to play with the concept as it clearly shows some of the fundamental theories of physics and helps to gain an understanding of the laws of thermodynamics.

Exercises in futility or just some good fun for inquiring minds? Investigate and try yourself and make sure you have some fun along the way.

Allcare

Tony H2o

9. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Perpetual motion...not likley (unless we have a seriously flawed understanding of our universe, well seriously limited anyway). However efficency is the answer. e=mc^2, 1kg of caol = 3x10^16 jouls of energy. We could power this planet on a bag full of caol for a year IF we achieved 100% efficency. BTW 44% efficency on a diesel engine, I find that hard to believe. We might be talking about different measurements of efficency though.

10. Krusher Registered Senior Member

Magnatism is certainly the best way to try and achive perpetual motion I believe.

11. Time/02112 Senior Member Registered Senior Member

A research (Biologist) by the name of Bruce DePalma describes an experiment that while utilizing an electricly sheilded rotating mass, he had observed that the higher the velocity it rotated, the more ability it gained to have an influence to oscilate changes in the forces that govern radio frquencey picups on a standard FM Band Radio!
    Translation, meaning that the influence that this spinning orb, or disk altered the forces around the radio, and he was able to pick up stations that would not otherwise existed prior.
    I will conduct some more research on this phenonema, and return with my results to follow-up more details as I come across them, and post them below.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here's the details........

The Home of Primordial Energy - THE Place for information from BRUCE DePALMA
    Free Energy research information and data. The papers of Bruce DePalma and Paramahamsa Tewari.Physics, Space Power, Space Energy, Free Energy, Electro-Magnetism,Electricity, Anti-Gravity, Magnetism, Inertia, Rotation, Philosophy. http://www.depalma.pair.com

Bruce DePalma -- Free Engery Device
    ( Article by Richard Walters,
    For the People Magazine ) http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/depalma.html

Bibliography of DePalma Institute
    Bibliography of Papers
    Relevance: 74% Date: 16 Aug 1997, Size 14.9K, http://www.depalma.pair.com/biblio.html

Contacting DePalma Manufacturing Services. There Are Serveral Ways To Get In Contact With DePalma Manufacturing Services. Surface Mail (Snail Mail)... http://www.depalmamfg.com/info.html

Re: Passing of Dr. Bruce DePalma
    A public link page providing a variety of resources on this topic. http://www.ufomind.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://noosphere.princeton.edu/shnoll.html

Cosmophysical Influences, Shnoll, et al.

Simon Shnoll and colleagues have been gathering evidence for the past 40 years on apparent "cosmophysical influences" that produce concentrations of identifiable similarity of regions in time series that should have no similarity beyond chance occurence. They create histograms to represent segments of time series, and examine all the histograms in pairs which have randomly assigned identifiers. Blind judges select pairs which appear similar (algorithmic methods are still being developed), and the frequency is computed for pairs separated by differing time intervals. The finding is that synchronous or adjacent pairs, and pairs at intervals of 24 hours, 27 days, or 365 days show similarity more frequently than they should by chance. Data from a variety of different physical systems have been assessed, for example, counts of radioactive decay for plutonium and cesium sources separated by 200 Kilometers. A recent paper which discusses the procedures and responds to various questions and criticisms is available here, as a pdf document. A selection of comments is available, drawn from the extensive email discussion among researchers interested in automating the comparison process.
    Most recently Shnoll and his team have examined data from the GCP -- and they have found the same pattern of similarity between synchronous or adjacent segments of data displayed as histograms, implying that the source of the structure is informational. The following email correspondence and the figures tell the story.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://psiland.free.fr/conf.html#BEMSSE

October 20-22, 2000 : 5th Biennial European Meeting of the Society for Scientific Exploration.

p)'i4q4

12. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi all,

Perpetual motion... yes... I remember I once saw a thermodynamical proof saying it could not be possible. This involved proving that no device could ever deliver work to e.g. a rotating axis, without giving of heat in some way (this would violate the entropy postulates in themodynamics).

I think that's also pretty much the reason why every perpetuum mobile fails: friction. These don't necessary have to be air molecules, but you also have to consider collisions between moving parts in your machine and these always generates heat. Heat equals a loss of energy and hence no perpetuum movemement.

Krusher mentioned using electromagnetic radiation for energy retrievals (as in solar power). Well yes, if you (ab)use the photoelectric effect in some way, you might be able to free some electrons for an electric current, but then you're a bit limited in wavelengths (since this does not work for all kinds of radiation).

For other methods in general, you have to wonder: whatever you do, you always need energy to do it. Whereever you get this energy, if even the slighest bit is lost somewhere your perpetuum mobile is a goner. Magnetic fields also pose problems since accelerated electrons (which you can find if you have some piece of metal in an electric field) tend to give off radiation, once again losing energy in doing so.

However, I was thinking more in the line of Krusher's idea: a metal/superconductor rotating in a magnetic field with some trick could perhaps be a perpettuum mobile, but then no physical contacts between parts are allowed (since this would give of heat) and that kinda makes the idea of perpetuum motion irrelevant...

But then again, a load of physical laws are still to be written, so who knows what we might come up with next week

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bye!

Crisp

------------------
    "The best thing you can become in life is yourself" -- M. Eyskens.

13. MagAirMan Registered Member

Magnet Engines

I know these facts. In 1908 the first over unity device was created and functioned. It was patented and drew the attention of many wealthy Oilmen of that time. It was purchased, lock, stock, key and patent from the Inventor who was suddenly VERY wealthy for the time. The 'Oilmen' took the device to every major University of the day and especially those which relied on the contributions of the 'Oilmen, in other words, MOST of them.' After displaying the new technology to the professors fo the time, they stated very mater of factly, "You shall never teach such technology for there is no major profit. You will, instead, teach all there is to know about the consumption of oil. There is profit in oil, the Oilmen, of this country, will profit from oil and you will profit from our good fortune." Of course they agreed and the PHDs of today have never heard of Overunity as anything more than a joke. That day, that decision, in 1908, is about to be revoked. California is the state that will be the first to prove overunity. The equation will be CoP>I. Our device will start with 12 volts DC and output over 200 HP. That is everything I can tell you, safely.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nice story, MagAirMan, but it's a myth. Overunity devices are impossible. They violate one of the most fundamental laws of physics - conservation of energy.

15. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Exactly. Also, the idea that a large number of scientists were bullied into silence is ridiculous. Some might be, but most would risk anything to publish such a staggering scientific break-through. The idea is like claiming that a bunch of reporters could be shown info of Michelle Obamas lover and be kept silent about it.

Magnetic devices are often seen as promising because fewer people really understand the mechanics of magnetism. Unlike most purely mechanic devices, the functioning of a magnetic device cannot be resolved into a row of steady states, but many people try to do just that, and are led to believe that a given device will work, because they fail to realize the effect of induction.

Hans

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

So what is the patent number? Give us the patent number, and then we can all look it up the plans and find out exactly how this amazing machine works.

Go ahead, I'll wait...

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

That's the main thing that most people with nutty conspiracies theories about science fail to understand. Pretty much every scientist wants to be the guy who publishes something new that turns science on its head, because that's what gets you fame and fortune (in the science world, anyway). The idea that a scientist who worked for a university would refuse to publish something amazing simply because it would piss off a company is laughable.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

the idea of a catalyst in chemistry seems to suggest at least a unity conversion.
    maybe the idea doesn't apply here.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Catalysts only lower activation energy, they don't change the overall energy released or absorbed in a reaction.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Big deal. This is not at all remarkable.

There are a million ways to generate 200HP using less than 12 volts. Here are just a few spurious ones:
    - a giant weight, suspended by a cable, attached to a generator
    - a stick of dynamite with appropriate energy conversion devices
    - a battery with appropriate energy conversion devices
    - a magnet with appropriate energy conversion devices

See, these are all systems that, with a small initial input, can do a lot of work. But they all have some method for storing the energy and all eventually reach equilibirum, after which they will do no further work without being reset. They cannot continuously output energy.

Yours will be far less obvious in its potential energy storage. But it will be there.

I will bet a dollar - No FIVE dollars - that your device starts with some form of potential energy and outputs its 200HP, but cannot do it continually. It will need to be reset somehow.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  21. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I believe the device you are interested in is called a rectenna...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna

Although rectennas are mostly of interest in microwave reception, crystal radios have long been a simple device that can receive radio and even replicate the sound made on AM radio frequencies through an earpiece, all with no external power other then the radio wave itself! Unfortunately, you need to be very, very close to the AM broadcast tower of your choice to really have one of these things make audible sound in a earpiece, since with the omnidirectional broadcast of a radio signal from a radio station, it gets weak very quickly as you move away from the station. This kinda highlights how ineffective energy transmission via radio is.

HOWEVER, if instead of omnidirectional you were to use a directional radio source, you could send a good bit of power, made even more effective if you use microwave instead, which is really just the shorter-wavelength cousin of radio waves. This is why microwave transmission is often mentioned in ideas about putting solar arrays in space, microwave transmission would let these arrays beam power to earth with about 80% efficiency.

Rectennas are designed as a grid-like structure, where the grid spacing is determined by the wavelength of the radio wave in question. Microwave is convenient because wavelengths of 10 cm can be collected by a hand-manufactured rectenna, composed of just wires, metal poles, and some properly-placed diodes. If you wanted to make things interesting, you could theoretically produce a rectenna with nanotechnology that could collect nano-meter-scale wavelengths, which would include the wavelengths belonging to visible light! By this method (which we're not really ready to do yet with current nanotech from what I understand), you could make a light-collecting solar panel that gets, who knows, 80% efficiency? This compared to the current 15% or so (right?) and you have the god of all solar panels! Actually, the wiki article mentions this, cool...

If nobody mind's i'm gonna be an asshole and not look up all the references I did a few years back to learn all this, but if you want, just ask, I can probably find something again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

It is possible to have micro-fluctuations in entropy due to the random nature of the quantum world. The probability that this happens is defined by Fluctuation Theorem, as developed by Dr. Denis Evans of Australia. He's got experiments proving that this happens. However, in the long run entropy does seem to always increase.

The earth is essentially a giant mass of potential heat energy. In another 50 billion years the liquid core will have cooled and the moon too far away to influence the tides. Our only source of energy will be the sun, and it will have blown up in a supernova before this.

The reason the earth's heat is potential is because of black body radiation. It is the only mode of radiation that can transfer energy through vacuum, and it is constantly draining the earth's internal energy.

However, the internal energy is very rarely mentioned and utilized. We are very concerned with solar power because it seems more immediate, and because the sun was the giver of life since the dawn of mankind.

It is important to remember that the principle behind the sun's radiation is the same one behind earth's radiation - planck's black body laws. The earth is glowing just like a star.

However, the earth seems not to glow so much with its own energy as it does by re-radiating the sun's energy. Without the sun the earth's outer temperatures would drop drastically. Just how much, we do not know. But it is true that even by converting the earth's thermal radiation we would be actually indirectly harnessing sunlight.

Every 24 hour cycle, the earth's surface gets saturated with 'thermal potential' energy. During the night it radiates back into space. Because the earth is in thermal equilibrium with the sun, it actually radiates just as much energy as it receives.

The atmosphere acts as a giant battery for thermal energy, and by taking energy from the atmosphere one can get nearly limitless amounts of work. Any inefficiency is simply expelled as heat, which can then be re used, over and over and over again.

23. error01120524 Registered Member

I like the idea of using the earths own thermal radiation as an energy source, but how would you actually do that? Have you ever taken thermodynamics classes? Well I won't tell you all the specifics of why it is unconceivable to do such a thing, but look up "power cycles" or "rankine cycle" on google it might help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.