Persona

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Bowser, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Does yours change depending on the social environment. Such as work, do you exhibit a mask that might differ from the one you wear elsewhere, such as a party...or here?

I find that at work I'm reserved, or while on the phone with a stranger.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

It's not always a fake mask but sometimes you can use one or be an actor/actress. You have different sides/parts of your psyche/personality and they are used for different situations as per appropriate.

For instance, i mainly come off as a very easygoing person which some make the mistake of assuming that i'm easily malleable or manipulated. i didn't make it this long by myself if that were the case. the thing is that when you are secure in yourself, you don't need to assert certain parts of your psyche or even your main one at all times, unless you need to. It shocks some people when my very mature and adult 'woman' comes out to set the record straight because she has been surveying all right along in the background.

It's very rare i even show this side (almost never) and it's usually only the fascimile of her as she refuses to come out anymore. This is because she is not going to be involved in bullshit, including the 'party' flavor of the malaise aspect of my retirement, so to speak. That's not what she is about. She is really my main cpu but there is no reason for her to assert herself most of the time because of my particular circumstances. the inner child pretty much has leeway with me most of the time and let to run around free, much to the chagrin of some others but, well, society doesn't really deserve else from me, now does it at this point? lol.

she does come out when my life is at stake or someone really serious and mature needs to step in though. she doesn't do these lol's, gossip or use profanity. well, not as much as i do.

that saying that you really do not know anyone 'really' is true; only you and a higher power do. that's both positive or negative, depending on who the person actually is.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Thanks for responding, birch. There was a question regarding the inaccuracies of the polls before the presidential election. It was asserted that many people simply lied because they were talking to a stranger and were concerned how they might be perceived.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I like to think I present the same to everybody.
    I am me and I see no point in presenting a different face depending on the croud.
    It is like lieing...if you tell a lie you have to remember it and include it in any future...too much effort...and for what.

If someone cant handle the truth its their problem not mine.

And if they expect a certain persona its their problem.

If they dont like me why should I care ...some will like me some will not...why waste effort to make everyone happy when really all I need to do is keep happy and honest...hopefully if they get to know who I am they will relate to that person and not to someone that I invent for the occassion.

In sales I found folk responded well to honesty...

Alex

8. birch Valued Senior Member

well, that's not true. being true is sincerity underneath but you do have different sides to your personality. how you are professional and most serious/adult at work will differ in how you are more relaxed or playful with your friend. how you treat your boss will be different than your wife etc.

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Birch I dont have a boss or a current wife and only two friends. I am good friends with my second wife and my first wifes husband keeps me away from her.

Its a pity cause I still like her but he is a typical prick who feels threatened by everyone...heck we are divorced its not like I will run off with her.

I was always up front with my boss and he complimented me more than once that he could rely upon me for an honest answer.
    I think he respected me more than the other workers of similar status.

I am not smart enough to be cunning so I have to be myself.

It does have consequences..I wont go to weddings or funerals I dont like them so I dont go...folk now know I am diffetent and they have to factor that in I guess...
    I get it from my mother she treated everyone the same and was well liked because she was honest and down to Earth.

If in a group I tend to take over and I think that ability to dominate comes directly from folk knowing where they stand with me.

I often read your writtings and I can tell the world is different for you but to me you seem like you are up front and honest and I bet you would not put on a different face for very many folk.

Although I will say in real life I dont challenge folks beliefs like I do here...unless they ask and then they will get what I really think...

A christian cornered me one day about what I thought and in truth I avoided him by saying " well scientists believe some things and religious folk believe other things and above all we should respect anothers views even if we disagree" he backed off but if pressed I would have told him I did not believe in God etc...but my motivation was not to upset him ...because that was where it would go...upsetting folk I see as unkind...I like to be kind.

Alex