pet limit law

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Lori_7, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

my neighbor came to my door several days ago with a petition to protest a new law that will be put into place later this month, limiting the number of pets a resident may have. the limit is 5 pets.

my neighbor has like 17 cats, and at least one dog (which is a great dane) in her home. to my knowledge, she loves them very much, cares for them very well, and cleans up after them adequately. her pets never impose on the neighborhood.

i myself have one dog and 2 cats indoors, and 3 cats outdoors who reside in little heated kitty condos in my back yard.

the way i see it, there are already plenty of laws in place to regulate the treatment of animals and pets, and to regulate any community problems associated with them.

animal abuse is a crime.
    animal neglect is a crime.
    there are health codes already that dictate the environment they're kept in.
    there are zoning laws that would prohibit breeding facilities or shelters being operated in a residential area.

so what is the purpose of a law like this?

imo, it's big brother in action.

what do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Can you link to the actual law?

5 pets sounds VERY restrictive.

Arthur

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Wow.

Can't believe they would be that restrictive.

A lot of people are going to be over the limit on day 1.

Luckily they have no easy way to enforce it, so hopefully citizens can get this changed.

Arthur

8. keith1 Guest

Pet fees should be implemented to pay the high cost of enforcement and monitoring abusive pet situations.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'd be willing to pay for that. ironically, our city doesn't even have animal control, so we have an abundance of ferule animals and strays running amuck, yet they want to focus on pets who are actually cared for.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it should at least be voted upon, which is the goal of the petitioning.

and you're right; they have no easy way of enforcing it. so it just opens up the door for vindictive neighbors who have a grudge concerning who knows what, and to take it out on their pets.

11. keith1 Guest

I agree. Pet fees show due diligence and would reduce the number of "weekend" pet owners, who are always lax in their exercising and cleaning up of scat piles, that hatch flies, that cover the food the neighbor eats.

Big dogs are not just "cheap surveillance and security mechanisms". They need constant care and attention.

It's not the numbers but the care.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well it depends 5 hamster isn't that big of deal 5 bull mastiffs not so much

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

there's no need for that law if the pets are well cared for and are not a nuisance.

What a pile of puke.

14. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Where I live it is illegal for cats to be outside!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:shrug: :shrug:

15. toltec Registered Senior Member

People who keep fish are now major league criminals.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

wow, where's that?

you know, i don't necessarily agree with that (i have outdoor kitties), but i can see the logic behind that law more than this pet limit law.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

to me, it does seem odd that someone would want to take on that responsibility. i mean, my neighbor must have like 20 animals in her house. i can barely clean up after 3. but if they are willing to take on that responsibility, and care for them, and clean up after them, and they aren't a nuisance to the neighbors (which my neighbor definitely does), then hey man, this is america...land of the free.

imo our loss of civil liberties in this country is a disturbing trend. what's next? will they put a limit on the number of children we can have? the number of cars we can own? what home we can live in? what job we can have? if this trend continues at the rate it's going, by the time you get to be my age, you're gonna swear you live in china.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many municipalities have a limit on dogs, typically three. But very few have an aggregate limit on all pets, especially animals that never go outside like hamsters, or those who, even indoors, are never out of their cage except inside a ball like chinchillas.

I'm a dog lover and we have eleven of them on five acres in a remote area with very few restrictions. Nonetheless I understand that dogs can bother people. They bark, and even the most diligently confined manage to get out occasionally; that is perhaps a dog's most well-honed talent.

Generally the problem with a large number of other pets is poor sanitation, or even outright chaos caused by the owner being a couple of tacos short of a combination plate. In those cases the authorities just bust 'em for creating a health hazard. The disorder often extends to other things like piles of newspapers, so they also get 'em for hoarding and creating a fire hazard.
    Loving a pet, just like loving a child, does not automatically manifest as taking good care of them. Look at all the bratty, uncivilized kids out there whom even the best of us occasionally daydreams about simply shooting out of exasperation. The number of bratty, uncivilized companion animals is far greater.
    Those laws are extremely difficult to enforce. Almost no city or county has enough animal control officers to cover any but the worst cases, or complaints from people who contribute to political campaigns. Maximum-number laws are much easier to apply; just knock on the door and count noses.

We had a superbitch buy the house next door to us who thought she was queen of the neighborhood. She called the cops to report that we had more dogs (eight) than the legal limit (three). An officer dropped in, found eight tiny Lhasa Apsos who were all de-barked, professionally groomed with ribbons in their hair and, like all Lhasa Apsos, couch potatoes who didn't spend much time outside in their immaculately maintained, sweet-smelling, poop-free yard. She almost cried but she said, "I gotta do this because it's my job. You have one month to choose three to keep." That's when we moved out to the forest.
    Tell that to the factory farmers who don't give them enough room to turn around, or to the motherfucking asshole kosher and halal butchers who slaughter them by letting them bleed to death.
    Ironically this targets the "back yard breeders" like us, whose dogs run free in the yard during the day, watch TV with us in the evening, and sleep in our beds at night. And who routinely clean up our gene pool by outbreeding so our puppies are much healthier than pet shop dogs. These laws are a scam perpetrated by the AKC, who is in league with the puppy mills in Iowa and Missouri, who support them with their fees while keeping them in stacked cages like laying hens. The AKC will allow you to breed dogs back to their own children and grandchildren for twelve generations, and still register them. Thank them for all the hereditary diseases that have lowered the life expectancy of large breeds to eight years and of small breeds to twelve. We've spent 25 years developing Lhasa Apsos that make it to their fourteenth birthday; fifty years ago they commonly lived to be 18 or 20.
    Welcome to the People's Republic of America.
    Cats wreak havoc with the local ecosystem in urban and suburban regions. They kill birds wholesale, as well as small mammals. And there's always a couple of bozos who didn't bother to have their male cats neutered so they howl all night. (Or they wait until they're already sexually mature and have developed behavior patterns that will never change.) Laws against outdoor cats have become very common in the USA, and they enjoy immense popular support.
    Over the years we have learned that it's not the number of animals that makes the work, but the number of different species. We once had one dog, three cats, one African Grey and a tame grosbeak. Those six pets were far more trouble than eleven dogs.
    I don't know how old you are, but I'm 67 and as far as I'm concerned we got there when they started making the poor little kids wear helmets on their bikes. I was fifteen before we had a car with seat belts. And don't get me started on Affirmative Discrimination.

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well hey Fraggle, it's all just part of being one big happy civilization huh?

Personally I can't wait to get my kicks when the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

wow. i thought i was the only one. :cheers:

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I would think that wherever you live laws can be enacted that reflect the way your community wants to allow for however many animals and what kind of animals should be allowed in it. If you live in a rural area then certain things will be considered and if in a city other things will be considered. But there should be laws that not only protect the people but also that protect the animals as well.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

>my neighbor has like 17 cats,

Come on now... I can understand 14-15 cats, but 17 is WAY too many...

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

are they a nuisance to the neighborhood? are they all cared for well? if so, then why is it too many?