Pet Raccoon?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by LiteFeather09, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

How did dignity become "the issue"? I treated your gratuitous reference to pride as an incidental opinion, rather than a vital part of the topic. As a subject in its own right, "anthropomorphism" might be interesting.
    However, as far as I was aware, the central topic here was whether animals that are not normally domestic can be good pets [for humans].
    That topic is precisely about the relations humans have with other species, and that subject includes communication between individuals of different species. Whatever the respective character traits and capabilities of each participating species/individual might be, the success of a relationship is very largely dependent on understanding one another's requirements and expectations and our willingness to meet them.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

it is a corner stone of human developmental psychology

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Domesticated animals, like dogs and cats, make better pets than wild animals, like raccoons, because domesticated animals are less uncomfortable and fearful around people. Dogs and cats have been living around humans for hundreds, or thousands, of years and have both grown to be less uncomfortable around, and fearful of, humans, as two different species.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that it was the central issue of the thread.

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Symbiosis.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  9. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Right. Dogs and cats give us love and company and humans return the favor and give them food.

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

It seems most likely that it is much more than that.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I agree. From long personal experience. When people say their dog is "part of the family", that's literally true. And the dog feels the same way, cleaving to his humans even in the face of conflict with other canines. When one of our dogs dies, we mourn just the same as we would for uncles or nieces, or even a sibling. We don't invest equal emotion in all family members. When a human dies, his dog often mourns as a child would for its parent - with the same disbelief in the finality of absence.
    Cats are more versatile in their attachments, probably because they're not pack animals in nature. They can be strongly bonded to a particular human (or dog, or horse... I've know one who was devoted to a dwarf rabbit) or have amicable relations with a whole family, or remain aloof, or alternate favourites according to mood or convenience.
    Dogs feed our self-esteem and prevent loneliness; cats give us a kind of comfort - even solace - that nothing else provides, simply by their physical presence.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  12. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Absolutely. The connection between a human and dog or cat is complex.

13. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

The connection between a human and their dog or cat can be deep.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Yes. I suppose that's why non-domestic animals are too much of a challenge for most people. It's a whole different kind of relationship - on their terms, when we're so used to domestic animals abiding by our rules.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  15. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Good point. I have had relationships with many nonhuman persons through the years, still do. My Lab is my constant companion. The red squirrel that lives in the big fir tree across the street would like to see me hit and killed by a truck, lets me know that every day.

How you treat your dog is evident in their personality. If you treat them wonderfully, they will be wonderful.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

People, however, are less straightforward.

16. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

True. But then, very few people come under our influence early in their lives. By the time we get a chance to treat them well, lots of others have treated them badly. Still worth a try, though!

17. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Lyra Belacqua and Will Parry should have some input here.

18. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I saw a documentary once about dogs and humans. If I recall correctly, there's a village in Africa where the people don't even like dogs; they don't give them names or show them any affection, etc. But the wild dogs still come into the village and eat the food scraps and bark when the lions get too close. Dogs are dogs and humans are humans and our lifestyles mesh quite well whether we work at it or not.

19. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Dogs are wolves with the interesting parts bred out of them.

Michael 345 and sideshowbob like this.
  20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Humans are cats with none of the interesting parts

DaveC426913 likes this.
  21. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Right on.

22. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

People can bond with a large variety of different animals, wild or domesticated, it just depends on there being chemistry between the human and animal.

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I think it's easy for some people and impossible for others. Rapport is not a skill you can teach or learn.