Philosophy as a Problem

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tnerb, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perplexity Banned Banned

As if their estimation of me or somebody's estimation of my estimation of my self esteem would need to be the primary concern for me or anybody else right now?

I do not think so.

Let the truth do the vindicating, for those at least who wish to see it.

"This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."
    (Hamlet: Act I, Scene III)

--- Ron.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Satyr Banned Banned

***We interrupt this program for a special Satyrical report *** ​

Kept thinking about me, didn’t’ you, little one?
    Your absence and heavy schedule suddenly became more light to accommodate your … need – just couldn’t leave it alone.
    Didn’t want to lose the momentum.

Any attention is better than no attention.

Translation:
    I want someone to be responsible for me. This absence is unbearable.

If we allowed feminine minds to run things a fire would not be questioned or analyzed so as to be understood and harnessed into internal combustion engines. We’d be dancing around it, under the starry night, asking for the spirit that manifested it to save us from the cold, darkness. It’s every fiery tongue and coloration would be imbued with an extra sense of meaning.

True there is a certain romantic appeal to the ‘idiot savage’, living off the land in harmony with his environment, accepting his lot in life like a good little bitch, praying to the unknown for a dream to guide him, blaming it all on his inability to please the powerful other, calling his every failure and tragedy the Will of God or Karma – I know I’ve felt it.

Why ruin the magic of slight-of-hand when we can use it to make ourselves feel better about our own inability to see the trick? A child feels cheated when he is told Santa does no exist or when a magic trick is explained. He, suddenly, faces a world unconcerned with his interests and longs for his naiveté where everything was taken care of for him and magic was benevolent and mystical.

Who did you say was the sheltered “pampered one”?

But when the “pragmatist” White Man encountered the Native American no amount of praying or dancing could save him and no spirit guide could protect him from a shared and often brutal reality.
    He dies a noble savage and makes himself an ideal but he dies, nevertheless, and children, except for the few who can relate to the Indian’s futile status as eternal romantic victim of evolution, when playing Cowboys-and-Indians prefer playing the Cowboy instead of the Indian.

And when the pragmatist White Man, that dreaded symbol of post-modern mythology concerning the evils of progress, encountered the Black Man, that sympathetic symbolic victim of human violence and prejudice and oppression, he was no match for him.
    The savage, living in harmony with his environment, comfortable in his native habitats, had no reason to advance and transcend whereas the other savage had been forced into less hospitable environments and had an antagonistic relationship with nature.

Nature was less kind to him and he confronted and dominated her. He untangled her chains and forced her to obey his Will. In so doing he overcame and he grew. By overcoming he became responsible for his own destiny. If he would perish he would perish due to his own doing and not to chance or the mystical or the unforeseen or the unknown.
    An adult stops blaming others for his plight and he stops begging for mercy and for the good favors of authorities.

Indifference is a display of power and our indifferences show where we are not concerned or where we feel free to act as we will or where we've transcended our past.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Keep chipping away.
    You just might find that handle you are so desperately looking for and attach a shield to it.

I enjoy your prodding. It offers me a glimpse into your aim.

*chip*, *chip*, *chip*

Here is where you wait for a reply – like this one – to ponder over and use to try to ‘figure me out’.

A drunk is embarrassed about drinking.
    A social drinker feels no regret for indulging because he has the option of not indulging.
    Control is the key here.
    I feel strong in relation to that which I can choose or not choose.
    I feel weak towards that which I am unable to choose or not choose.

One indulges with no care. He is on control.
    The other feels regret and shame and insecure and weak and insulted. He is controlled.

Abstinence, asceticism is not always the choice of the indifferent.
    Here we see the prejudiced psychology of the weak.
    His weakness makes him associate strength with denial or the opposite of what he is.
    If he is weak in relation to food he imagines power to be the state of not eating at all.
    If he is weak in the face of sex he imagines power to be the state of not having sex at all.
    If he is weak in the face of emotion he believes strength to be coldness.

This is why the ascetic has such a romantic appeal nowdays. It is the ideal of the weak who associate strength with non-participation or who display their weakness by being unable to control themselves when faced with the source of their desire.
    One shows control over need not by denying one’s self contact or isolating one’s self from the thing one needs but by being able to partake or not, at will.

In fact power is the ability to indulge or not to indulge at will and remain indifferent to both.
    Since man is unable to do this absolutely, his existence is characterized by weakness to varying degrees.

But isn’t shame the imposition of another’s opinion upon our own concerning ourselves?
    Where have I given you the impression that another’s opinion matters to me more than my own?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

I feel the same way. Didn't prevent us from spawning 99 rules, though. Hell hath no fury...

"My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent"

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

I personally don't like satyr.
    Wow existabrent started a thread like this?!

Amazing! He tries his damnest to say something, damn! Existabrent created a thread like this? Wow! I did this! What the fuck?!

Will anyone say a thing about me?
    Existabrent is my name, existabrent has created this thread, existabrent exista brent existabrent! bla bla bla!

Existabrent, you did a great job with the thread but you are a dumbass.
    Existabrent, and, invert nexus, you both deserve the cherry on the top for credit to this thread.

Existabrent, invert nexus, you both deserve the hand clap for this thread. Existabrent, poor, poor existabrent, you deserve to be known as existabrent, creator of philosophy, creater and solver and destructor of philosophy, existabrent, you rock!
    LOL

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

All I'm commenting about is your airing of dirty laundry.
    You're sharing things that should never have been said out here. With the sole intent of hurting Water. Someone who you claim to wish happiness to.
    That's all.

Truth?
    I don't give a shit about he said, she said.
    I see with my own eyes what a piece of shit you are.

And. Yes. It shouldn't matter at all to you what I think.

9. perplexity Banned Banned

That is the trouble with a kidnapped thread, it ends up with the Stockholm Syndrome.

--- Ron.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

???
    Me?
    What? I made maybe two on-topic posts in here?
    Every sprouting tree
    Every child and beast
    Every cloud you see
    You see with your eyes
    /...../
    But y'all can see me now cos you don't see with your eye
    You perceive with your mind
    --Clint Eastwood--Gorillaz​

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

if you're talkin bout me, dude, I don't care, I just don't forget you.

Well. At least my origonal intent of the thread, isnt much off. The thread title is all that needs to remain.

Besides the point,
    you're perplexed by me, you know it.

So.

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Damnit, Brent.
    Look at the quote I was responding to. That was Perplexity's quote. I was talking to him...
    I respond to you in the post following that one...
    Sheesh.

13. Tnerb Banned Banned

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

'salright.
    Just don't let it happen again...

15. perplexity Banned Banned

It may seem to hurt at first, to transcend hypocrisy, but one gets used to it soon enough.

--- Ron.

16. Satyr Banned Banned

Funny how pretence and hypocrisy lies behind every human interaction.
    It’s as if we are all using each other, despite ourselves, towards our own goals, our own ideals, our own needs.

It’s one of those things that makes everything all the more absurd and human.
    Now look at what you’ve all done. You’ve made existabrent not “like” me.

I’m sure to lose an entire minute of sleep over this tremendous, momentous event and I have all of you to blame for it.

I just hope Meantime keeps liking me, despite himself/herself, or else I’m doomed to a life of misery and insomnia.

What will I do without you all?
    How will I survive without your positive opinions of me?
    How will I cope without your approval?

Morality you say….?
    Your opinions of me mean so much..…..I am lost.
    A stranger in a strange land a....WANDERER.

My “emotional availability” is of an absolute importance to me when all I’ve got is internet relevance and web-relationships, when I only connect with others through the impersonal electronic highway and my life becomes a series of tragic events others and their misunderstandings are responsible for.

How else could I explain my failures than by blaming it on others?
    I need to preserve my sense of indestructibility; a lone gem within a pile of shit nobody sees.

Maybe some of you should consider the possibility that your specific, and not general, failures and your disappointments or your personal dissatisfactions are due to an error in judgment and not due to the other or to luck or to God.

Just a possibility, of course.

Maybe you should seek the source for your unhappiness and dissatisfaction inside yourself and not blame the other for everything all the time.

You people are truly pathetic.

So much need expressed in so few simple, laconic postings.
    It's fun.

I often wonder about how an entire existential framework can become so obvious in such a short time.
    It’s as if existence needs this exposure to relieve itself from itself.
    The pretence becomes a feigned resistance for ‘fuck’s sake’ and the underlying motive is to get naked in front of everyone and face the criticism.

17. Tnerb Banned Banned

that's right, pathetic existabrent don't like to read all that.
    change worlds

18. Satyr Banned Banned

You are, truly, deserving of each other.

The weak seeking strength in each other.
    The imperfect seeking perfection in each other.
    The needy seeking satiation in the lacking.

Life feeding on its own tail and never finding fulfillment.

Good Luck!!!

Maybe existabrent can offer us a way out of this circular system of interdependence.

:bugeye:
    I’m not holding my breath.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hat's off to the ubermensch!
    Hip hip...!

20. perplexity Banned Banned

No you do not, and you fail even to respect what she told you.

Wake up call.

Earth calling invert_nexus, whoever you are.

This is a virtual reality

I wouldn't be nice, and then one thing lead to another, all built on delusion, all fake. Granted, with occasional bouts of genuineness, but all in all, fake in inception.

And do you think she would not be cringing inside at the thought of spending time with you?

Do you think she would not be cringing inside at the thought of spending time in the real reality with any of the creeps who hang out here?

Or did you seriously fancy your chance in terms of good friendships or romance?

You better believe it, this place is beyond the beyond, a make believe masquerade.

Get a life

Indeed not.

Exactly.

Seconded.

Thank you very much Satyr for the breath of fresh air and good sense you occasionally bring to these proceedings.

So just for good measure I shall repeat, in the hope that it really does hurt you, Nejka, enough to bully you over it and on to the other side of it, because you are old enough now to know better:

Did it not yet begin to occur to you that the "Schadenfreude" is precisely because I care, despite it all?

From time to time I shed tears over your plight, serious grief, but beyond a certain limit it has to be sink or swim, and I know then which is for me.

"Stockholm Syndrome"?

Kidnap over the Internet?

Should it somehow be possible to take that without laughing out loud?

-------------- Ron,

with many thanks to Anne (Mrs Ron) without whose down to Earth good sense, tolerance, generosity and moral support I might have been completely sucked in to end up as mad as the rest of them.

For the benefit of those who think that what happens in her life needs to be some kind of concern of theirs I have just suggested to her that she post to the thread to have her say here but should she be bothered?

She says no thanks, better things to do with her time.

---

21. Touchwood Registered Senior Member

Ron tapped furiously on the keys, brow furrowed, beads of sweat forming and sliding down his wisened face. Multiple windows upon multiple screens, he pursued his quarry relentlessly. 'So many lost souls, so little time', he thought.

Mrs Ron stirred from her cosy slumber, a hand reached out to stroke Ron's warm flesh only to find cold vacancy. A sigh. The staccatto clicks and anguished grunts told the story. A faint smile broke her repose, 'so many lost souls, so little time' she thought. Half awake now a pang of anxiety, like a dark cloud across the sun, made her shiver. 'No, it can't be true, he works so selflessly' she reasoned.

A blackbird's manic piping heralded a new dawn.........

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Heh.

Three cheers for the two ubermensch!
    Hip hip..!

Maybe you and Satyr could get together to have uberkinder?

Sounds like you're two minutes away from throwing your computer out the window? Might be a good idea. This virtual reality doesn't seem to be good for your mental condition.

Anyway. Funny that it was you talking about sour grapes.

Hmm.
    So.
    Let me get this straight.
    Water isn't breaking up with you? You're breaking up with her? And all because of the loving charms of your wife?
    Heh.
    You a funny guy.

Touchwood,

Nice touch.

23. Meantime Banned Banned

Perplexity. Your best friend and most precious commodity is the security and comfort of your good conscience — tethered to your spleen.

No wonder the Freudian slip when you chose your moniker: perplexity.

You have also taken advantage of Water's good nature — a good nature I happen to know well, for, on several occasions, I have had the interim of exchanging a civilized and affectionate correspondence with her: she was nothing but uplifting, encouraging, and good willed — that, despite the fact that we both know we are not of the same intellective branch. And don't suppose for one second that I haven't had my own share of the human experience in my life not to recognize a shy introspective young lady aiming for the stars.

But once you pocketed her good nature as your own so as to counter your spiteful own, you quickly learnt how to apprehend it, manipulate it, entrap it, until, that is, she started to pick at the knotted fixtures you carefully tied. Little by little she was releasing herself — but at the cost of so much of her own good nature.

All this is so clearly manifested and read by another Freudian slip: your own amateurish hand: how you constantly remind her of her obligation to her in the forums by excessively calling her by her real name when you know damn well she chose her nom de plume as Water, and then coyly signing your own at the end — where it matters most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.