PHOBIA (meaning)

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by mustafhakofi, Jun 2, 2004.

1. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

I am a little angry, to why people misuse words to make It sound worst then it is, I was called an islamaphobe and my friend a homophobe.
    A phobia according to the oxford english dictionary is fear, horror, or adversion, esp.morbid.
    well I certainly have no morbid fear of islam or morbid horror or morbid adversion so I resent the implication i just dont like some of the things done in the name of this religion.
    my friend , I know has no morbid fear of gays or a morbid horror,or a morbid adversion and for the same reasons resents the implication.
    why do we goto such extremes with our words .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

probably they describe behaviours and events with words that sound more extreme than they should be is because they want to get your attention, they want a substantial reaction or response from you, like Proud_Muslim, a member on this forum, uses Islamaphobe quite a lot, and he uses the word to almost any one who disagreed with his statements

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EvilSquirrel Interesting Infidel Registered Senior Member

Don't take the dictonary so seriously. It more of a guidline then strict rules. Besides the deffination varies depending on the dictonary. If she was called a homophobe that means bascially that shes squeamish or dislike people of the same gender doing stuff. As for Islamaphobe....Not a clue.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

phobia is one word, and homophobe is another. Words, and bits of words, aquire different meanings when used in different places... you don't have to take everything quite so literally. What counts is the meaning.

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Mustafhouki:
    Becuase most of us are clumsy idiots with a use of the Written Word so awful its like being butchered with syntax.

Like you for example- your thread is a slaughterhouse.

The word, dear girl, is aversion. A-v-e-r-s-i-o-n.

Phobia:
    A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

Aversion:
    The avoidance of a thing, situation, or behavior because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus.

These both describe your not 'liking' what these hairy mutants do with their relgion. You are in fact an Islamaphobe.

9. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

ok, did you understand what was implied when you were called an islamaphobe? of course you did, so who gives a shit? There are very few "fluffy" or pleasant words to describe racists anyway, what would you have preferred? "marginally xenophobic"? "anti-islamic citizen"? "Muslim intolerant"? see, it's not grammar that made the word sound bad, it sounded bad because you were being insulted.

10. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"I was called an islamaphobe"
    poor you, i take it you tried to have a chat with Proud Muslim...

11. pavlosmarcos It's all greek to me Registered Senior Member

you have a cheek to pick fault with someones mis-spellings take a look at you own post above
    the word's dear boy are because b-e-c-a-u-s-e and religion r-e-l-i-g-i-o-n ok o-k
    mis-spelling happens we are all guilty
    as for for her thead I looked in the chambers english dictionary and could not find homophobe or islamaphobe so the only word closely resembling is phobia
    and it states :extreme fear or loathing, aversion.
    so my thought's are mustafha, you were insulted and next time retort with a better one.