Physics predicts end of Religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Physics predicts end of Religion/Superstition

More good news from the front. Well, not really news to those of us living in wealthy secular highly educated modern societies.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

i don't see any mention of america. i'm so shocked.

such fine culture america has and so many intelligent people thumping their bible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Actually there was a study last year on the number of genX who do not believe in their parents' superstition and the same trend is happening in the USA.

I suppose one way to look at things is an inevitable slide towards truth. A luxury of wealth and consequence of education. When people feel safe and secure they don't seem to need (or want the hassle of) the Gods.

IMO there will probably be a migration away from two denominational primitive deity based belief systems to more eastern deeper self reflecting belief systems - such as Buddhism. Actually, ttytt as nimble as Christianity is don't be shocked by a blending of Buddhist reflective practice with Christianity self forgiveness.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

I just read this article myself, and came here to link to it. It's quite interesting, because it seems people cling to labels, and would count themselves as being Christian because their parents had them Christened, but they never go to church unless there's a wedding or a funeral, and probably wouldn't fare very well in quiz about their religion (but then it's been shown that atheists know more about religion than believers).

The Census, which is underway in the UK right now, asks some rather loaded questions, which gives a false impression of religious affiliation. But simply, there are very few believers in the UK, it's just some whiff of tradition they are detecting.

8. Rav Valued Senior Member

There really is so much of that around, at least in the western world anyway. I know a number of people who identify themselves as Church of England, or Baptist, or Catholic simply because of some vague familial association. If you broach the topic of religion with them the only response you really get is a few brief comments about Sunday school and a short story about how their second cousins father was a minister. God doesn't seem any more real to them than he does to me.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm sorry, but i don't find your apparent faith in the wealth and education in society to be any more sound than religious faiths, and i doubt the majority of gen X does either. i live in a pretty comfortable part of the world, and still from what i've seen, young and old alike, we can't afford to have faith in anything but god itself. and that's good. i think that will ultimately make things a lot better.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What about believing in yourself? Why can't you give that a go instead of only trying out another belief that is supposed to "control" you.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Lori, the article states that ultimately, religion is dead.

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i know. let's all dance a jig.

13. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well god is what it is. i mean, when it comes to control, ultimately, inherently, yeah. but that's not how it seems from a personal perspective in regards to what i choose to do. interaction with god has actually resulted in empowerment and confidence in my case. god has encouraged me to learn to love myself. society will never do that.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Or how about you work on you comprehension skills, so you won't post things contrary to the conclusions of the research, and appear to be ignorant?

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i only seem ignorant to you because your own paradigm equates god with religion.

17. yaracuy Banned Banned

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

And you talk a lot of crap, you know. Belief in God makes you religious, period.

Although I don't really understand why you seek to distance yourself from religion. Seems incongruous with your signature, declaring yourself 'the church'.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What else does God tell you and can't you see how one person claiming communication with God is the cause of religion? First he tells you what's good, then you tell another person, and before you know it, it's a religion.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But if you were to just believe in yourself to have started with, then you would not be relying on anything but yourself to believe in. Substituting a "god" to give you what you already have isn't necessary once you realize that it is you that is who you rely on and is in ultimate control, nothing else.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and i thought i was an idealist.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

it's just not the way it happens. all we know when we come out of the womb is that we're uncomfortable and then the conditioning commences. i will say however, that in my experience, seeking and interacting with god has involved much introspection.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

god is not religion. god isn't even religious!

religion is like the police. if we weren't fucked up we wouldn't need it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well that's not my problem.

i've joked before about how ridiculous it might be if people tried to make a religion out of what i've experienced. religious practices are often ridiculous. but it wouldn't mean that i didn't experience what i did, or that my experience was meaningless, or detrimental. we as people can find ways to corrupt almost anything and everything.