Piracy

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Norsefire, Jan 10, 2010.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

pffffttt. not hardly. where on earth did you get this figure?

and had you actually read the relevant posts, you would see that i was referring to major labels. independents--like myself--actually get closer to 50 percent (though not always), post production costs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

learn how to read, John.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

From a musicians web site.

oh ok, and what difference does that make? You get 50% and guess you have no problem with people illegally downloading your music.

I read and comprehend just fine. In fact i was one of the best in my class. Hence, the theme i see emerging.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

And another thing, post production and other costs are operating expenses and every business has expenses. Major labels have the same expenses but the costs are MUCH higher for them.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

source? and, sorry, but even if you did read this, it is incorrect.

correct. because the people who download my music have often purchased other albums of mine, and they likely would purchase the album if they could. can i prove this? no. still, i'm not complaining about piracy specifically (though i have other complaints).

and what difference does it make? did you bother reading the relevant posts? rhetorical question.

the theme being that countless people are constantly pointing out to you that you suffer in reading comprehension?

shall i provide links? oh look, there's one by WillNever just a few posts back!

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

so much higher that it justifies 2 percent, as opposed to 50 percent? so are you suggesting that it costs more per unit to produce 100 thousand cds, than it does to produce 2 thousand cds? interesting. please, tell me all about these "hidden" costs--do you run a duplication plant?

10. John99 Banned Banned

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

ok, suppose a solo major label artist sells a million copies at $12.99--he or she would get about 2 million bucks, according to you (or your "sources"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

not quite, john. you seem to be forgetting that most musicians also perform, and that is where they make the bulk of their income.

huh? where is this "excuse"? and how do you conclude that i "dont want people ripping (me) off"? of course i don't, but i don't consider people who copy my music to be "ripping me off"--unless, of course, they mass produce it and sell it; but this is not what we are talking about.

[/quote]

again: huh? i don't even know why i am asking, but can you please explain this?

and what's with the red ink? are you a moderator now?

12. John99 Banned Banned

Parmalee, you keep adding your own stipulation. You add that they are solo artists and selling millions of cd's (not if everyone is stealing them btw) but most are just surviving.

because that whole response to me contained 'coulda\woulda\shoulda'

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

stipulations, wtf?! that's called an "example," John.

and "most are just surviving": what does that mean? i assume that everyone who isn't dead is surviving, am i wrong?

sorry, artists on major label do NOT receive 15 to 20 percent of sales.

ahhh, so subjunctive=excuse. interesting.

14. John99 Banned Banned

It means that the MAJORITY are not millionaires but work hard for little money. So you justify it by stealing more from them.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Well whatever make you feel good.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

wtf?! the, uh, "content" of your posts suggests to me that you are rapidly devolving. i am more than adequately familiar with psychotic breaks, John, and i suggest that you seek professional help.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Yes, i rapidly devolved in the span of two posts.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, golly, first you're a successful musician making plenty of money even with all of the piracy going on in the word, ...then you've added knowledge and experience and expertise as a copyright attorney, ...now you're a fuckin' psychologist/psychiatrist, too? Wow, you're my fuckin' hero!

Baron Max

19. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

well, that is certainly rapid.

20. John99 Banned Banned

Were just debating, its cool.

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

it doesn't take a psychologist/psychiatrist to see that John is rapidly devolving--why, two days ago i would have suspected John to be a rocket scientist, and the sanest amongst us; yet now he appears to be a raving lunatic.

and where did i add my "knowledge and experience and expertise as a copyright attorney"? i must have overlooked that part.

22. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

are you a sock, i.e. a european, John? i've noticed that you sometimes put spaces where americans tend not to.

23. John99 Banned Banned

:::thankyou: