Please Heed My Advice And Save Yourselves.

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Squashbuckler, Aug 13, 2003.

1. VitalOne Banned Banned

I understand why you won't talk to me, you can no longer counter argue and prove my statements wrong. And to answer your question, simply because its forced on us. We have to deal with this. You could argue why do anything at all, aren't you just going to die anyway? The reason why people do things is because most can't live without doing something. It brings them happiness to do something.

There is a reality beyond our interpretations. I'm sure that our minds exists. Oh yeah, and everything is just an illusion.

If you remove the fear of death, you will be happier. Do you like fearing death? Does it make you feel good? If you remove that, you'll feel more secure. Have you removed the fear of death from yourself? If you haven't experienced it don't assume things. You do not need to be attached to something material in order to be happy. If one were not attached to anything material they would value the non-material things. Again, you must experience it, and not assume things (what you're doing). You sound like a complete moron (no offense) who has only read things and has experienced nothing. I can't explain an experience, you need to feel it. Once you experience it, it will answer all of your questions. You will still value yourself. You see, you have a euro-centric mind. You can't imagine life without desire. You think it'll be horrible.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

End of discussion

"I cant explain the experience, you have to feel it"

Ok everyone, do what makes you happy.
    I guess we will have to leave it at this and agree to disagree.

P.S. Sorry moementum7.
    You will understand what i mean by that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VitalOne Banned Banned

Squashbuckler: I agree with you (for once), this argument has gone pointless (not that it wasn't already).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

What an interesting disucssion, shame i missed it all.

"Ok everyone, do what makes you happy.
    I guess we will have to leave it at this and agree to disagree."

Yay! At last some sense.

8. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

9. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

Re: objectivism

I disagree.

umm... how do you all know these people like lucysnow and such, I haven't talked with any of them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I guess I am out of the circle.

10. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

I agree, we should do what would make us truely happy. Once you try other things, you, too, will understand what it will take to make you truely happy.

Everyone has there own time-table for the path to which they will inevitable tread.

11. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

That doesn't mean you have to ignore your dreams because supposedly they are stupid.

12. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Who said dreams are stupid? Don't ignore them, follow them until you don't want to or need to anymore. If it is a life long pursuit, so be it.

13. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

Awake, I guess you skipped his post.

14. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Objectivism strikes me as an ironic philosophy. Mainly on account of the name, funny to call a philosophy that is centered on the subject 'objectivism.'

If it were up to me I would rename it 'egocentric skeptical rationalism'.

15. Canute Registered Senior Member

I think that gives rationality a bad name. I'd prefer 'formally egocentric skeptical logicalism'.

16. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

First things first, you're a charlatan. I know it's wrong to use ad hominem arguments but after that poor excuse for a rebuttal, I'm left wondering that out of the 40,000 people that die everday, why aren't you one of them?

So you're saying that standing in front of a truck and getting hit by it, leaving your brain all over the grill, would just be "in your mind"? Shame, I think you're eligible for public charity, you might just be legally retarded. There is no objective proof to merit your claim, nor is there any empirical evidence to back your point up.

Well, junior, why don't you recognize the cognitive dissonance between these two quotes. Listen sparky, you won't test your theory that your mind "won't be over" if it's hit by a truck, yet you don't fear death? Hmmmm...yup, you're an idiot.

17. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

That's funny, because I've read the post Squahbuckler posted (more than once) to see if I missed something. Low and behold, I didn't. You took his post as if he intimated that the buddha has made no difference on society (even he would know better than to make such an asinine statement). When, in fact, he was simply talking about himself, that HE should sit in the corner, loving everything and everyone, sacrificing himself, etc. (in his usual facetious satirical rhetoric). It is quite overt, especially since he stated, "If i [sic] remove my mind, ill reach a state of nirvana." He was inferring that he views buddhism as not being productive, and practicing it as a conscious endeavour would be a step retroactive to his current interests. I hate to deduce the obvious conclusion for the slow, oh wait no, I don't, I thoroughly enjoy doing so.

People, if you could please THINK before you post, and maybe, just maybe, READ the post more than once before replying with your indignation.

18. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  19. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

At this point, I'm convinced you have a learning disability. He done told you to agree to disagree, you concurred and said the 'argument' had reached a pitch of inanity you didn't care for (not in so many words).

Yet here you are with your incendiary remarks, trying to spark up another 'argument' to feed your own pugnacious persona, you're a glutton for contention. And you wonder why you are "Out of the circle"...

20. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Squashbuckler:
    IdleOne (I mean, VitalOne):

You know what the scariest part about that was? The fact that you probably believe you're right.

Surely, that isn't the greatest cop-out you know. You can do better than this. Come on, is this the only scapegoat you know of? You "need to feel it", huh. You "can't explain an experience", huh. Whether vicarious or first hand, an experience can be explained, so please would ya, explicate it to us, all high and mighty senior metaphysician whose been studying metaphysics since days of yore.

And if you can't, perhaps it is because you'd have people believe that you're bright and able to think alternatively, when you really can't.

21. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Canute:
    SG-N:

source for subsequent definitions

al·tru·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ltr-zm)
    n.

Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness

self-im·mo·la·tion (slfm-lshn)
    n.

Deliberate sacrifice of oneself

The connection isn't exactly esoteric. And SG-N, perhaps it is you that was being hyperbolic by labelling the man as a 'moron' simply because you did not agree with him. Now, I wish that one day it is YOU that becomes pauper... though they say that pauper is the one who attempts to decry others when others don't agree with his/her vantage point, without offering anything to back up his/her stance other than libel. I shan't wish you pauperism for you are already engulfed in it.

22. Canute Registered Senior Member

Experiences are incommensurable and uncommunicable. This is an accepted fact of science and philosophy with which nobody can disagree. That isn't to say that nothing at all can be said about them, but it puts limits on how much can be said.

This is part of the reason why science is suspicious of first-person reports of experiences.

23. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... an interesting point. However, I do not recall ever saying they weren't incommensurable and uncommunicable, but rather I attest that it is not inexplicable. :bugeye: I agree wholeheartedly with your whole post right there. I never said otherwise. It's just that IdleOne -- I mean VitalOne -- didn't even attempt to put it into words, if even in a pithy manner, it would've sufficed and allowed for further congregation.