Please Help Me With My Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Pi-Sudoku, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

I just bought a 'netgear' 108Mbps Wireless router and am trying to connenct it to my three computers.
    The first computer i want to get running as a centrino laptop with built in wirelesss.
    I have Tiscali ADSL broadband and have a working connection via a USB modem to get internet connection on two of the computers (When i connect the modem to them individualy).

Various Online guides have told me to connect my modem to the router although the modem has only a USB connection to the computer and no ethernet port.

I am pretty stuck here, can you help?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The simplest answer is to look for an Adapter if you want to keep the Router you have. something similar to http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_ethernet_adapter.html (search the internet for other versions, you might find a cheaper one)

Some routers have built in "modems" which just need configuring, meaning that you can retire your current modem, however your particular make might not have a built in ASDL modem, which would mean that you could take the router back to the store you bought it from and inquire about one with a built in ASDL modem.

Lastly the mega fiddly method is to Bridge one computers connection through your modem via the network to allow other computers to use that connection too. the problem with that, is the computer has to be running for other computers to connect to the internet, it's fiddly, it's possible but it has a greater margin of errors.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

You must use ethernet. USB will not afford you the ADSL across your network through the Netgear router. From my experience an ADSL modem should have both connections available. ICS may offer a workaround, but you already bought a router. Tell your provider to change your ADSL device.

(Since when does the modem not have the option! wow)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

stryder is correct, the simplest answer would be an ethernet to usb converter.
    SMC corp. makes such a device. i have one for my machine. it's roughly the size of a BIC lighter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.