Please read this with an open mind.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by thecurly1, Sep 16, 2001.

1. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

I have been visibly gone from sciforums all week because of the horrible terrorist attack upon the United States of America.

From Tuesday, I sat in my Spanish class, and heard the report over the radio. So nervous and shocked by the apparent carnage, absent of photographic representation, I was shaking like I'd been dunked in a cold lake. These next few days have been hard on me as well as those in the US, and the free world.

No one, especially a grown man should be ashamed of showing emotion, crying or being sad over this event. A true man can show emotion and not be scared of doing so. This must be a wakeup call to never let this happen, but more importantly we should use this event to reshape what it means to be American.

From now until the end of the world, we as Americans in particular must be caring and understanding not of only the world's people, but our own neighbors. The next time you get in an argument ask yourself, "is this worth arguing about? Should I be wasting my time screaming at someone I love, instead of telling them I love them?"

We must only judge people by their actions, and not by anything they have been born with, physical, mental, or spiritual. Let us not participate in the pagan act of glorifiying violence through the media outlets, life is to sacred to be a made a martyr of entertainment.

These more than any war or bounty will stop wars and terrorism. If we do not participate in changing the way we think, then these things are bound to happen.

NEVER FORGET

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -- Albert Einstein.

We need a few great spirits now to guide us into the future.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Malaclypse Perturber Registered Senior Member

It won't come from the USA

!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I hear you.

Great spirits are everywhere, even in USA.
    And we all have the capacity, now more than ever, to BECOME great spirits.
    The choice is yours and it has to me made, now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. 01001010 ... unique ... Registered Senior Member

ah, philosophy....

9. kmguru Staff Member

The handwriting was on the wall, now we are serious and will be able to summon the great spirits....

10. tmegeney Registered Senior Member

I am a racer...

Never one to hide from a debate, I think I must take a somewhat dissenting view. At the last Formula One race, Michael Shumacher asked all of the racers to take it easy and travel in single file in the first lap. This would be to show support of the people who lost loved ones in the terrorist attacks. There was only one dissenting voice, and he too coincidentally was a Canadian. Jaques Villeneuve told Shumacher "I am a racer...I will race...that is what I do." To do less would be to show disrespect, not respect.

I am a radical free thinker. It is what I do. I will free associate my thoughts and spell them out here. Some may dislike it, some may dislike me, but that's okay. It was Don Cherry another Canadian who said "When you take a stand, some people will love you and some will hate you. There is no in between."

Having said that, all humans show grief, and I am no more or no less a person than anyone. I applaud your post "thecurly1", but lets use these forums to "free associate" solutions and figure out a way to foil all kinds of terrorism. There are a lot of us out there, lets brainstorm. Who knows something powerful may be achieved.
    T.

11. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Ultimately killing others to achieve goals is a very demented, and dark feature of human nature. I don't know how to defeate terrorism except for this one idea:

Destroy all these fanatical organizations, and the countries that harbor them.

Rebuild the countries so they will be free insitutions of the people and more closely adress the problems of the world's religion's with eachother. Ultimately this is a war between religions, and even more basic ideologies. If we can't work together, than only one can exist.

I am dedicated to seeing civil ization triump over anarchy, by any means possible.

12. tmegeney Registered Senior Member

Defeating Terrorism

Terrorism is based on fear. Not fear caused by the terrorists per se, but they are scared of us, do they react in a heartless and cruel way. Everyone in the world needs to have an opportunity to talk to people from different cultures and religions. A year ago, I was the sponsor for a group of Egyptian people who also happened to be Muslim. I found them some of the nicest people that I have ever met. We just need to find a way to bring everyone together.
    T.

13. kmguru Staff Member

Actually terrorism is not based on fear. Fear is the effect of an act to reach their goal. To solve it, you must understand the purpose and cause of that act.

Here is an example. Some a**hole murdered a American Sikh thinking that because we wears a turban and has beard, he must be a supporter of Osama. While it is a hate crime, if the police look the other way, it will create resentment among the Sikh community. Normally Sikhs are peace loving, proud group but have a warrior root. If as a society, we attack them - they will fight back. I assure you, you do not want the wrath of one Sikh, let alone a whole community.

Terrorists are not engineered genetically or there is no such gene mutation. They are recruited just like any other cult which America has seen for many years. Find the cause, eliminate it - no more terrorists.

14. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

To thecurly1 & kmguru,

Quote by thecurly1:
    "Destroy all these fanatical organizations, and the countries that harbour them"

What is your definition of 'Destroy'?

Quote by kmguru:
    "Find the cause; eliminate it - no more terrorists"

I think Bin Laden would nominate Americans as the 'cause'.

I'm sorry folks, these events have upset me more than I can express. If I sound hostile in my posts please forgive me, I can't help the way I'm feeling.
    Teri

15. kmguru Staff Member

The enemy warned us 2 months ago, told us "WHY". We ignored it as we have done for most problems.

I have faith in the US government. If it happens again, I will vote for a new candidate. That is all I can do.

16. Silent Bob Registered Member

The root of terrorism is terror. By terrifying (sp?) a group of people, it is hoped that they will obey your demands. Laden calls us Terrorists, and we call him terrorists. In the definition of Terrorism, we both are. I'm still not sure what I believe, so I have to simply stop there. Of course, I am against Laden, but I have to think about our reaction.

17. kmguru Staff Member

The French President did not use the word "Terrorism". He used the word "Conflict" perhaps because Terrorism is defined as "A system of government that uses terror to rule".

The other definition is " The use of terror, violence, and intimidation to achieve an end".

18. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Sorry for not being able to respond quicker, school and other matters.

What I ment by destroy was pretty much that, completely eliminate the terrorist organizations and major resistance groups as well as the nations that habored them, and financed them. Once the governments of these nations, NOT THE PEOPLE, are destroyed they must be rebuilt in a stable framework of government.

We must not allow this to happen again. For all civilization.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Sorry to point out the reality. That is what they said at the end of WWI, and WWII and many other little wars, conflicts....

20. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Obvioulsy there will still be wars.

But we must try our hardest to stop them and prevent them. If we do not it will get worse, and our children will have to deal with more horrible terror than the current three generations are facing in the present.

To not fight is to lose, it's that simple.

21. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

thecurly1
    I completely agree, but I hope you and the rest that believe this hold true to their convictions. Kmguru mentioned in one of his posts that terrorists are recruited. Which might be right in some cases, but for the most part they are raised from childhood in these beliefs. Just like in America with racism kids born into a household by racist parents are going to more then likely be a racist themselves. With that being said a lot of children will die if there is a ground war. I don't advocate killing innocent children, but when they attack our soldiers they are still the enemy. Even though it's through no fault of there own. We are not going to win any type of humanitarian awards from this one and quite possible we will be looked at as one as the monster of all monsters.

22. tmegeney Registered Senior Member

Huh?

Whoa "To not fight is to lose, it's that simple."???
    Whats with that. To choose not to fight is what makes us human and seperates us from the animals. We have a conscience. It allows us to seek a better way. War is NEVER a proper response.

Does someone have to answer for the atrocities in NY & Washington? Yes, of course. Any civilized person can see that. But a war...come on, everyone loses in a war. Find the people responsible and arrest them.

If there is a war, you are just creating another generation of extremists ready to attack when they are old enough.

Violence begets violence.
    Peace begets peace.

Lets take the higher road here okay?
    T.

23. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Fighting isn't the answer in most problems, except for this one.

Even if Bin Laden was handed over, which he more than likely won't be, there are others in his organization that would replace him just as fast as the VP would if Bush was killed.

We have to destroy, the ENTIRE terrorist organization and any country that has helped or harboring them. Peace in this case is a pipe dream, if we made a peacefull resolution these countries and groups would turn around and hit us again.

This is serious, this would be like signing a peace treaty with the Japs after Doolittle bombed Tokyo, and if we got Yamamoto. The entire group has to be destroyed and the countries properly rebuilt afterwards to ensure security.

People say, "violence doesn't solve anything". False, violence, sadly, has resolved more problems than any other method in history. If it really didn't solve anything, people and governments wouldn't use violence.