Politeness?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bebelina, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I´m sorry, but I don´t feel like being here anymore, since so many of the members of this board are just plain rude and mean.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

What have I done?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I'm very sorry you feel that way. I don't think it was anything I did as I do strive to be reasonably courteous to all. Matter of habit.

There are those who don't see it the same way. You will find them throughout the world and not limited to this forum. On your block, in your family, and in your town. If you choose not to come back then I wish you well throughout your endeavors. God grant me the wisdom to know those things I can not change. You have been a welcome light in the forums. You will be missed.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Yeah, just ignore the rude and mean people. Well, thats what I do anyway.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So, lastnight I rented and watched a movie called <i>Hannibal</i>...not recommended for those who are squeamish.

9. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Respect

Was really the issue I wanted to talk about.

I assume that most people in here are adults and therefore I find it very surprising and offending that grown up people can´t carry on a discussion about any topic without taking to insults and degrading comments about others personalitites.

It it really so hard to express your own agruments without lowering yourself to insults? To me it is common courtesy to respect other peoples opininons , whatever they may be and simply express my opinions as arguments, if I disagree. Without judging anybodys personality.

Everybodys opinion on every subject is valid and should be respected. Even if you disagree.

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

An issue in itself and worthy of an honest discussion. I'm not certain which example from which you speak; however, I know from personal experience that our opinions are often impassioned around here. Don't let it burrow under your skin and please...don't go.

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well...

Not any example in particular, just a sense of disrespect of other peoples opinions in general. But what really was the last drop , whas when Howard called me dum...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It would be nice to have intelligent discussions where everybodys opinion is considered in the topic, not just ignored as mindless babbling , irrelevant or as lack of intelligense and education from the poster. Don´t you think?

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Perhaps lack of sensitivity is really the issue here. Bebelina, the forums spark debate and general disagreements, it is the nature of a forum. Back in the olden days, before tv and radio, people would come from miles around to hear a good debate. Think it was the issues at hand? As much as anything else it was the personalities involved the really made the draw. Because it was well known that this speaker or debater was firey, and that one well educated. When a goal is the sight a lot gets left by the wayside in it's pursuit.

Do what you do. Realise that others will do what they do. If you hear personal insults it means you hit a cord. A note. Somewhere you rang a bell that responded. Think. If there is no intellectual responce then it is reduced to personal attack. (It means you scored)

HOWARDSTERN is an intellegent individual, you can tell everyso often through his ramblings that knowledge peeks out where he didn't intend to give it. He tries to evoke responce from the reader one way or another. Evedently he has in your case, rang a bell that responded.

All is never as it seems and people tend to have layers just like an onion. Do a true look at yourself, inside. No one else need know. Answer for yourself, Is all as it seems?

13. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I happen to agree with her, I think this here "freethought" part of sci-forum is full of rude kids, asking silly questions.

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I most appreciate your reply to her, wet1. Your correct this is why I hang around, to find a few tricle of intelegence at this forums.

However it seems to me that most here are somewhat rude.

I'm refering to name calling. I don't need it from a stranger nor do I dish it out to anyone else either. I would like to debate whatever topic may be at hand with out an insult to my intelegence or experiences.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Ah, there is name calling and then again there is name calling. Notice, I too called a name. In a way that will not evoke hurt fellings. Actually it was a correct name, that of the user. Now that I have had my fun, I quite agree with you that name calling is unnecessay. It detracts from both the point of view and the presented arguement. It throws in a smoke screen that has nothing to do with the point.

16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I realize that.

But my point is, that we ARE adults, who are supposed to be ABOVE such immature and unneccesary behaviour. Of course NOTHING is ever as it seems. But why be less than you can be just for the sake of giving a good "show" ? It´s not like this is some competition between brilliant intellects, it´s a discussion. It´s like Planet of the apes here sometimes, the one with the foulest mouth and hairiest arms wins, or whatever.

17. shaman1301 Urban Anthropologist Registered Senior Member

Adults?

Bebelina,
    If you check out the profiles, there are many members that are not chronologically adults. And then there are a few people(not many) who are just emotionally immature.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2001
  18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Now see, we can be rude and belligerent without actually attacking a specific individual. As for the kids, the only silly question is that which is never asked.

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well then...

..if you absolutely feel the urge to descend to rudeness, keep it general,not personal. Yes, I have actually noticed now, that many members are teenagers too. And they are so welcome to join, if they can stand the stench of monkey poo...

Who does the cleaning around here?

20. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

You know its funny. You go to University for so many years and study Zoology and thats what you end up doing.

21. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Is that what you are doing?

Then I envy you. I would clean up monkey poo any day, if I had the opportunity to work with animals.

22. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

RUDE HOWARD

<b>Sorry about that Bebelina

</b>

It was my evil twin brother that wrote that

. .....

OK OK OK!... So I had been drinking too much Vodka

and tended to be rather insulting to everyone.

<i>Don't feel bad Babelina, you should have seen the E-mail that I sent to Pro. Max Arturo ! ! ! Come to think of it, I haven't seen him on the boards lately?????

</i>

Superior attitudes and rudeness were prerequisites when I first signed on as a member. I learned it from Boris & Tiassa

I promise to tone it down from now on.

PS. So are you saying that not everyone in Sweden is blonde?

(I'm just joking).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2001
  23. odin Registered Senior Member

School

Bebelina I think it would be nice if you reconsider AND STAY!
    Don't leave us with just the POO.
    after all it takes a balance in all things "as I am sure you know "& the only way to attract more people like you is for you to stay!