Political Messages and Their Affect

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bowser, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

The televised campaigns have completely ruined my enthusiasm to vote. I'm still going to vote, yet it won't be a pleasure. They have turned it into a contest between two opposing negatives. There's a reason why I avoid the television.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Effect, not affect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Too bad they don't have the equivalent of a "V-chip" that allows you to block political ads.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's even more irritating for me since we have mail-in ballots, and I've already voted.
    This got me thinking the other day. With our mail in balloting, they have a service you can sign up for which allows you to follow the progress of your ballot. So how about combining this with the above "P-chip"?
    Once your ballot is received, they shoot you a text message with a code that you can enter in your remote that blocks any further political ads on your TV (the code would expire so that it can only be used for the present election.)

This might even increase voting participation. If you knew that voting could give you the option of blocking the political ads, more people might vote ( at least those states with mail-in or early voting).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"They" was the Republican Party financial backing and campaign strategists - deliberately, intentionally, and by design. It's how fascism rolls - always has.
    If you voted Republican in the last forty years, you voted for these ads and the money behind them.

Enjoy.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

As long as you vote.

Whether it be for Democrats or for k̶i̶t̶t̶e̶n̶-̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶i̶z̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ Republicans, the biggest travesty will be if the vote does not accurately reflect the will of the people.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's not just party politics, it's nearly every measure on the ballot.

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Perhaps
    Perhaps not
    Affect is a concept used in psychology to describe the experience of feeling or emotion.
    Bowser's
    seems to fit that

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Not that I want to encourage derailing Bowser's thread, but affect is a verb. So it is grammatically incorrect.

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

ok point taken

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It was a whole long serious of very bad decisions that led to this situation.
    You're not expected to enjoy it.
    Since you will certainly suffer the effects of the outcome, you should try to affect the legislature of the future.
    Pressure your representative for election reform.

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Ah, Bowser, Sciforums is not overly sullied with the political vomit that shows disdain for science. I've been totally stumped in other fora. Debating things like global climate change. Using information provided by NASA and then having the guy I was arguing with saying he believed climate science by NASA is all part of a money making conspiracy. Or, trying to argue valuable outcomes for theoretical physics (and no, I didn't ask the guy if he had a computer.)

As for the media, you are correct. I can distance myself easier than you probably from the reality TV show that is, Trump. I get most American news from CNN. This morning I clicked on CNN, and without even wanting to dwell on it --not even wanting to know whether or not it was news worthy-- with the things Michael Cohen said to Vanity Fair about, Trump, I can feel the discontent that has been sown.

And this is really racist, so much I imagine it might be a rule violation: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/02/politics/michael-cohen-trump-racist-remarks/index.html
    I think too much media is bad for mental health.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's Republican campaign strategy starting with Nixon and hitting its stride with Reagan. It's Lee Atwater, Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich, Frank Luntz. It's talk radio and Fox TV and hedge fund destruction of journalism everywhere.

It's the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine, the repeal of most campaign finance restrictions, the invention of PACs and phony charities, and the Citizen's United lawsuit (a lawsuit involving a prime, gold medal example of Republican negative campaigning). All of those are Republican in origin and largely in practice.

It is almost entirely Republican in origin and practice. It is the fault of Republican Party supporters's campaign initiatives and innovations, and nobody else's.

If you voted Republican in a State or Federal election in the last forty years, you rewarded and encouraged this kind of campaigning, you voted for the politicians who abetted its takeover of American politics. You are responsible for this shit. It's your fault. You brought this on us all.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Jeeves likes this.
  16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Affect" is also a noun. It actually does make sense in the title - although I agree that sense appears unintentional, and "effect" seems to have been intended.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Interesting. No, I don't bother with the news. I'm talking about watching a game show and being treated to half a dozen negative ads. Anyways, I filled in my ballot. I found it was easy when I chose what I wanted and ignored the rhetoric.

18. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by that?

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Because that's what worked before, no?
    Except all this bad stuff keeps happening, for some reason. Like these negative ads - they showed up out of nowhere.

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And in the battle for control of the frame of political messaging (the criteria by which we assign terms like "negative"), we have a new (to me) coinage for the governing ideology of the Republican Party, the movement that has at the moment no PC allowed name in American politics:

It's "authoritarian ethno-nationalism" -
    easily made more accurate by adding "rightwing", and serviceable if a bit clunky.
    http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2018/10/center-cannot-hold
    Because you can't be a good American and a good Republican voter both. Something's got to give.

21. Xelor Registered Senior Member

Adult life often obliges one to do things one doesn't find pleasurable. f voting were meant to be pleasurable, there'd be willfully orchestrated entertainment (or something) provided at the polling stations and/or in the ballots and other voting documentation one receives.

Frankly, I don't think voting is an act that was ever intended to give one pleasure. If sometimes one obtained pleasure from voting, one's having done was merely coincidental, not intentional. I