Pope calls for palestinian state...

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Challenger78, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm not a fan of the pope himself, with the aids debacle.. but
    When the pope speaks..

The question is, are the Jewish hard liners going to view this as more anti semitism or actually think that when all of the heads of the worlds three major religions call for a solution that they can continue avoiding one?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tora Registered Member

Although this issue appears to be one of religion, I think it is in reality essentially one of politics. Taking into account the current Israeli cabinet, the 'Jewish hard liners' will probably avoid a solution that is not entirely on their terms (i.e. favourable to them and subject to strict controls for "security" reasons).

As long as the political leaders continue to wave their religion around and point to the (mostly harmless) rockets that are allegedly being launched in from Gaza/Palestine; as long as America continues to be influenced significantly by the Israeli lobby; as long as no serious effort is made to engage Hamas in negotiations, there can, and will, be no solution.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Their solution "Operation: Defensive Shield" didn't work, and that line of thinking is long due to be thrown out.
    Until an American citizen or group is attacked by Palestinians, (which would be a bad outcome), or bulldozed over by Armoured Israeli Bulldozers, then I doubt the USA's public will be convinced. Those opposing Israel don't have the same resources as the Israeli lobby.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tora Registered Member

Hmm, it also depends on what the People Up There adopt as their foreign policy line. It will be interesting to watch how Obama deals with the rather hawkish Netanyahu when he promised to try and broker peace in the Middle East...

I think I should make it clear that I am not opposing Israel... as much as I think they should stop being indulged, and influential countries (for instance, traditional Israeli allies) set up talks involving all parties (legitimate in their eyes or not).

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So then why didn't the Pope give the Palestinians money in order to help them achieve their goal? He is very appealing by wanting them to have something but doesn't say how he can help them. Why is that? :shrug:

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I agree, It seems like a hollow gesture, but I think even if he could give money, he would only be allowed, by the strings of his occupation to give it to the Christian arabs.

10. tora Registered Member

Hmm, a matter of keeping religion out of politics? If it were to appear that the head of a very influential and historical religion took a certain side in a political issue, it would only complicate issues more. Pope John Paul II did not explicitly provide any aid to the Poles.. his presence and speech triggered off the subsequent rebellion. In fact, by opining that the Palestinians should have their own state, Pope Benedict was already (in my opinion) taking a rather radical step.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think the Pope did well. About time someone gave a voice to the Palestinian Christians

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Because, its easy for anyone to say give them land.

What people like me hate is the idiocy of these people's forethought because Israel is TINY, i mean it take about 3 hours to travel from the west border to the east and like 8 hours from north to south.

How the HELL are we supposed to find room to make another nation?

Sure if Israel were the size of Italy, or Britain, or India, of course we could spare some room, but what all of those insensitive people making these idiotic half assed arguements dont realize is that we dont have any land to spare.

Anyways the pope really has no credibility with the Jews, actually right now 70% of Jews including me, hate him a lot, and not because he is the pope.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's not a refugee situation, as some would have us believe. You took their land by force. They just want it back.

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

How could we take it by force? We had no guns, no planes, no bombs. But you did. So what happened were you beaten by sticks and stones?

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If you want to avoid the antisemitism argument don't call them "Jewish" anythings, "Israeli conservatives" would probably be the most PC term, heck even zionist would be better then jewish hardliners.

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I dont take any offense at "Jewish hardliners" personally.
    I personally laugh when people try and make it seem less rascist when it does not even come off as rascist at all.

But the thought counts.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

No Bombs? I'm sure the people that were in the King David hotel would disagree.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not "give them land". Its return their land. When you steal something, returning it is not a gift or a favour. Its justice.

19. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

and go where?

SAM, were not giving you back "your" land, end of story, get on with your life.

Your not getting it back, so just chill out and do something else with your life.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Wherever you came from. Or like all decent people in the world, apply to the Palestinian people for citizenship

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

IF the land is to be returned to ANYONE it is Britain because they owned it before we did.

After that Im pretty sure it would go the the Ottoman's.

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Oh please SAM, a.) wherever we came from isnt home.
    b.) do you honestly think the Palestinian people would even let us live there?

Atleast the Jews allow teh Palestinians to live there no matter the conditions. The Palestinians would kick us out just like any other arab would.

Your not getting you land back SAM, end of story.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't know what is more sad, the fact that you don't consider the place where you were born and grew up as home, or the fact that you think some kind of mythical attachment gives you the right to deprive Palestinians of their home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.