Post covid-19 economics , fast recover or slow ?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by river, Apr 7, 2020.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Here in the U.S., produce sections in markets seem unchanged, but all those other things you listed are pretty picked over or wholly absent. What I am noting is that people seem to be "panic hoarding" non-perishables. No hard data, as yet, so it's mostly anecdotal, but still...

In the U.S., households spend roughly the same amount annually on eating out (and this includes simply getting coffee or alcohol) as they do on groceries. Personally, I find that mind-boggling--even when I was an urban dweller, I mostly ate at home. Still, I do not expect the restaurant industry to recover quickly. Proximity to countless strangers aside, I would expect people to have some reservations about consuming food handled by strangers only moments prior.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I agree. Ditto for travel and the hotel industry.

But it feels really bad. We are going to come out of this impoverished, and in many countries the leaders are people that have flourished by encouraging resentment against the outside world, which is a recipe for wars. The US is in a uniquely dangerous position, due to a total breakdown of national unity and purpose. The war risk there could be internal.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

Depends on the quality of the flour consumed . Organic or GMO Wheat based flour .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.