Post here if you are going to support Bush for another presidency . . .

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CuriousGene, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

True, if consent is a necessary aspect of marriage(for most of its history it really hasn't been. And at many times kiddies were married off at 10). This also illustrates my point: the idea of consent being required is a value judgement that is derived much like the value judgement prohibiting/permitting queers to marry. The dividing line between the marriables and non-marriables is arbitarily derived; there is no qualitative difference between two schemes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

"You are quaint. I’d say most American women do. They call it financial security."

maybe in the 50's they did. most women i know do this little thing called "go to college".

voodoo child, i can't even respond to that it's so stupid.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Women go to college but the majority of them also have children. Marriage lets a woman stay home for the kids yet still have a secure financial future. Or at least gives her the option. Applies to men too, but not nearly as often do they exercise the option. Women tend to choose fun careers or ones that don’t require a lot of study or skills (read, low-paying), I think because they plan to resolve the disadvantage of such career choice by getting married. That’s okay if they also plan to have children and stay home with them. In my case my wife wanted to stay home sans kids. And she wanted a maid. I got out fast.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

"Women tend to choose fun careers or ones that don’t require a lot of study or skills"

what???

8. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

That seems fairly obvious. But for you, just a little research quickly finds books like Women Scientists and Engineers Employed in Industry: Why So Few?. It isn’t discrimination; I work in a high-tech field that would welcome women with open arms. But 10 times more men apply than women. When it comes to careers, women tend to do what they want. Men tend to do what attracts the women. And what attracts women is financial security. My niece couldn’t wait to get married and have a child because she loves children and hates working. I don’t think she’s the exception.

9. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

I support bush for the next election cause I look more like bush then kerry therefore on some 24th cousin level bush is closer to me in terms of human race. Also I dont like asses or donkeys which is the symbol of the democratic party I think an elephant can kill a donkey fairly easialy. Yes these are the thing that get my vote. Arent you happy people like me vote.

10. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

You live in NY so it matters not how you vote.

11. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

My biggest problem with Kerry is that he has an absolutely wretched national security record. He voted against funding the M1, F-14D, Patriot, B-2, B-1B, F-117, and a plethora of weapon systems that the US military uses today.

It's going to be tough voting for him, but such is binary American politics.

12. Undecided Banned Banned

According to Inside Politics, Kerry only turned down the 1991 Arms proposal, these were not seperate purchases. Why would the US increase it's defense budget after the end of the Cold War?

13. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Stokes, but on the bright side you've got to remember currently we are the Super-power if we cut spending on weapons research and pour it into something else it wont decrease are war fighting capabilities that much. After all I doubt in four years were going to lose much of are advantage and if we do we can make Kerry a single term president too.

14. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

http://slate.msn.com/id/2096127/#ContinueArticle

Is an interesting article, it makes two rather good points:
    • That these votes were in the context of the collapse of the soviet union
    • That he didn't specifically vote against these things.

15. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

A person can be for something but be against too much of it or a bad implementation of it. Republican voters especially do not grasp this simple concept. For example, on TV they hear “he voted against apple pie” and assume that’s bad, when what really happened was, he voted against apple pie for diabetics. Republican politicians, who will gleefully ruin the country for their personal gain, leverage this ignorance by proposing asinine apple pie-like laws that the Democrats must in good conscience reject.

16. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

zanket just because I live in NY my vote doesn't matter?
    I think every vote matters is what we get in last elections....

17. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

NY is predominantly Democrat for prez. The odds of you changing that are billions to one.

18. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

76% kucinich! 69% nader!
    46% kerry, 46% edwards, 38% sharpton
    bush ... 7%

obviously kucinich and nader are out of the question, but with a a tie for edwards and kerry? who do i vote for in the primary? lol

also 1/2 the people who used that thing are kucinich supporters, with bush and kerry tying...thats funny